4 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Dual Plots rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Kamyszek
msg tools
mbmbmb
So I came up with an interesting idea that may work. I feel like testing it out. May require some balancing though.

But the main idea is to run with a Plot, a Scheme, a Mastermind, & a Commander. Both running a muck at the same time. When a Scheme Twist comes out, the scheme effect goes off. When a Plot Twist comes out, the plot goes off. The same for the commander & mastermind. If Command Strike comes out, the Commander's effect goes off. If the Master Strike comes out, the Mastermind's effect goes off.

My only concern in doing this, you double the population of the schemes and master strike type cards, so you'll need to include additional henchmen and adversaries. So, my idea is you simply double build the deck. As for the hero deck, you could keep the same count per players, or you could add an additional hero or two. Personally, I think it should be fine as is. If some play tests show the recruit pile disappears too much as it may be extended play, could add an extra hero.

Another thing is that a Mastermind or Commander could be defeated when their strike card comes up. If this is the case, they weren't there to strike, so my ruling would be to draw another card. In addition, if the commander is defeated, you can ignore the plot, and if the mastermind is defeated you can ignore the scheme. This represents heroes stopping that plot all together, and without the leader, it doesn't continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If you're going to double the deck, you might as well have two separate piles going at once. Have Villain Deck start in the Sewers, and have Adversary Deck start in the Bridge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason McManus
United States
Saraland
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play like this with two players or two teams. One player fights the commander and the other fights the mastermind. First to defeat their mastermind/commander wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James A.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a great idea! I've roughed out a possible dual scheme/dual Mastermind battle below, would appreciate any feedback as I'm going to be running this with my gaming group soon.

(Edit: Updated for clarity, added rules and win/loss conditions.)

LEGENDARY MARVEL: LEGENDARY BATTLES
Zemos Unite to Forge the Infinity Gauntlet

SETS REQUIRED TO PLAY

- Base Set (Heroes)
- Base Set (Villains)
- Dark City
- Captain America 75th Anniversary
- Secret Wars, Volume 1
- Civil War
- Fantastic Four
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Paint the Town Red (if FF not available)

RECOMMENDED PLAY MATERIALS

- Two playspaces (Original Gameboard + Villains playmat, or 2 Playmats)
- You may use any and all support cards (Madame Hydra, Special Wounds/Sidekicks/Bystanders, New Recruits, etc.) that you have available.

CONCURRENT SCHEMES

- Mastermind Buffing Scheme: Invincible Force Field (or Weave a Web of Lies)
- Primary Scheme: Forge the Infinity Gauntlet

MASTERMINDS

- Baron Heinrich Zemo (leading Invincible Force Field or Weave a Web of Lies)
- Baron Helmut Zemo (leading Forge the Infinity Gauntlet)

Assign the Masterminds to each Board/Mat as directed above.

RULES

- Assign a Scheme to each Mat. Conditions for losing only apply to that mat, but any buffs provided to the Masterminds remain until BOTH Masterminds are defeated.
o RECOMMENDATION: Try to beat the Mastermind Buffing Scheme quickly to limit its effect for the entirety of the battle!

- If the Primary Scheme is won first, the Mastermind Buffing Scheme must still be won to win the battle.

- The Primary Scheme CANNOT be lost. The Masterminds win the battle immediately.

- The Mastermind Buffing Scheme can be lost and not result in a total defeat if the Primary Scheme is won, but will result in the following Penalties until the Primary Scheme is won:
o Baron Heinrich Zemo moves with his remaining Mastermind Tactics and becomes a Second Mastermind for Forge the Infinity Gauntlet. Any Master Strikes that occur after this must be resolved for BOTH Masterminds (order per team’s discretion).
o The Masterminds gain +8 to their base attack total.
o Search the remaining cards from the Primary Scheme’s Hero Deck, and the players choose which 2 Rare Hero Cards to remove from the game (these do not count towards KO total).

- You may recruit Heroes from either Mat to add to your deck. Continue to refill the respective HQs from their associated Hero Decks as Heroes are recruited throughout the entire battle. The battle results in a draw on the next turn if any of the Villain or Hero Decks are depleted.

- PRE-GAME GROUP DECISION: You may either alternate draws from each Schemes associated Villain Deck (likely more feasible), or draw from both Villain Decks simultaneously (likely more challenging). You may fight on one or both Mats at any time on your turn.

VILLAIN/ADVERSARY DECK #1 (Invincible Force Field or Weave a Web of Lies)

- 7 Plot Twists
- 5 Command Strikes
- Bystanders as directed per # of Players
- [optional] 5 random Ambition Cards (worth 4 VP)

Villains/Adversaries and Henchmen (for Baron Heinrich Zemo):
- Masters of Evil (WWII)
- Masters of Evil
- Henchmen: Sentinels
- [added when 3-5 players] Emissaries of Evil
- [added when 4-5 players] Henchmen: M.O.D.O.Ks
- [added when 5 players] Marauders

VILLAIN/ADVERSARY DECK #2 (Forge the Infinity Gauntlet)

- 8 Scheme Twists
- 5 Master Strikes
- Bystanders as directed per # of Players
- [optional] 5 random Ambition Cards (worth 4 VP)

Villains/Adversaries and Henchmen (for Baron Helmut Zemo):
- Thunderbolts
- Infinity Gems
- Henchmen: Maggia Goons
- [added when 3-5 players] Hydra
- [added when 4-5 players] Henchmen: Thor Corps
- [added when 5 players] Sinister Six

HERO DECKS

You may recruit Heroes from either Mat to add to your deck. Continue to refill the respective HQs from their associated Hero Decks as Heroes are recruited throughout the entire battle. The battle results in a draw on the next turn if any of the Villain or Hero Decks are depleted.

Heroes/Allies Deck #1 (Invincible Force Field or Weave a Web of Lies):
- Storm & Black Panther
- Rogue
- Black Widow
- Iceman
- Mr. Fantastic (if FF not available, Hulk)
- [if 5 players] Wolverine (X-Force) or Professor X

Heroes/Allies Deck #2 (Forge the Infinity Gauntlet):
- Captain America (Base Set, 1941, Captain and the Devil, or Secret Avenger)
- Superior Iron Man
- Lady Thor
- Captain Marvel
- Hercules
- [if 5 players] Namor or Falcon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.