Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I lost my artist due to my sponsor pulling out.

At the moment I can't afford to fund the art my self, and a lot of the royalty free stuff doesn't have enough characters that 'match' to use in a set.

Are there any lists of artists who are willing to work based on the outcome of a kickstarter?

If not, can anyone suggest some sites which offer a good selection of art that is easily searchable?

I realise it is a big gamble with the possibility of no return, so I'm not building my hopes up.

My apologies if this isn't the right forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Metäl Warrior
Netherlands
flag msg tools
When launching a campaign I don't think it's necessary to have all the artwork completed, so you could get away with fraction of the investment until you are funded. As long as you have enough components to show how the game will look you should be ok. That could be for example the board and a handful of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's not necessary to have completed art, but if you need to fund art, that needs to be added into the KS goals and explained since that will also extend the amount of time needed to deliver the game (time lead for the artist(s) to complete their work).

I do also caution that without completed artwork, your chances of getting funded are much lower (since most people are expecting a ready to go to print game), and artists mostly do want to get paid for their work and time, at least partially, especially if it's a lot of pieces that you will need.

I do see that some artists have worked on the gamble of a successful KS if they really believe in the project, so it isn't impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knight
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Chances of finding and artist to work on the chance of getting paid is slim. i would do as others have said run with what you have and explain where the money on the KS will go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Teneslav
Romania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
kirkatronics wrote:
Recently I lost my artist due to my sponsor pulling out.

At the moment I can't afford to fund the art my self, and a lot of the royalty free stuff doesn't have enough characters that 'match' to use in a set.

Are there any lists of artists who are willing to work based on the outcome of a kickstarter?

If not, can anyone suggest some sites which offer a good selection of art that is easily searchable?

I realise it is a big gamble with the possibility of no return, so I'm not building my hopes up.

My apologies if this isn't the right forum.

To be honest I would not hold my breath to get this done. I mean, maybe you could find a nice artist that works for a future payment, but he may turn out to no be serious due to lack of motivation.

Better think of essential art to focus your budget on and then make a stellar kickstarter campaign. Backers can imagine a set of cards with only an example done perfectly, for example. But you do need those examples.

Also, while everyone may say that you can go to kickstarter and ask for funds for art I will be lying if i would not admit that not having the art lowers your chances of funding. Kickstarter is a hard place to go as an indie developer when you have all these big team companies going against you and raising the standards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.