Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Translation errors in the German version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Apparently, there are some cards in the German version that have been translated incorrectly and have text which does not match the symbols depicted on the cards,
so I figured I'd let you know in case you own a German copy!
Maybe some of you other guys can help me by confirming/denying that it is in fact the text that is incorrect on the cards, not the iconography! (Thanks laugh )

Also, if you have the German version and found any other errors, please let me know!

Translation errors:

'Thermoelectric Generator' (#178)

This card tells you to reduce YOUR heat production, but it's supposed to reduce the heat production of any player of your choice.

'Quantum Extractor' (#079)

The text on this card is you pay 2M€ less whenever you play a card, but this should only apply to cards with the * symbol.

'Mass Transformer' (#094)

Exactly the same as with the Quantum Extractor

Other errors:

'Olympus Conference' (#185) and 'Space Station' (#025)

The word "EFFEKT:" is missing on these two cards. But they are still effects

Promo Card

While it doesn't have the - symbol before the plants, it still takes away somebody's plants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastinator1 wrote:
Apparently, there are some cards in the German version that have been translated incorrectly and have text which does not match the symbols depicted on the cards,
so I figured I'd let you know in case you own a German copy!
Maybe some of you other guys can help me by confirming/denying that it is in fact the text that is incorrect on the cards, not the iconography! (Thanks laugh )

Also, if you have the German version and found any other errors, please let me know!

'Thermoelectric Generator' (#178)

This card tells you to reduce YOUR heat production, but it's supposed to reduce the heat production of any player of your choice.

Why do you think so? Usually cards that effect other players are red bordered cards and the text at the bottom of the card makes sense when you reduce YOUR heat production to increase YOUR energy production. The only error in this card is:"Senke dein....", sollte "Senke deine....." heißen.
Bastinator1 wrote:

'Quantum Extractor' (#079)

The text on this card is you pay 2M€ less whenever you play a card, but this should only apply to cards with the * symbol.

'Mass Transformer' (#094)

Exactly the same as with the Quantum Extractor

In the two examples above, I would say that the symbols * : -2 are in addition to the text to tell you wich cards get the discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
f-p-p-m wrote:
Bastinator1 wrote:

Why do you think so? Usually cards that effect other players are red bordered cards and the text at the bottom of the card makes sense when you reduce YOUR heat production to increase YOUR energy production. The only error in this card is:"Senke dein....", sollte "Senke deine....." heißen

Red cards are one-time events, and have nothing to do with affecting other players.
Cards of all colors can affect opposing players.

As for the card in question, the heat production has a red border around it, which means it affects any player.
Furthermore, the card scores -1VP while costing 6 M€ (+3 to buy it), which compares very poorly to the standard project of increasing your energy production for 11 M€.

f-p-p-m wrote:
Bastinator1 wrote:

In the two examples above, I would say that the symbols * : -2 are in addition to the text to tell you wich cards get the discount.

They are not. There are several other cards with the same iconography, but the correct text to indicate what type of card they refer to.
The text on the two cards is inconsistent with those other cards, and pretty misleading, as well!

Yours, Sebastian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beat Schweitzer
Switzerland
Basel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed the inconsistency card #178 (Thermoelektirscher Generator)as well. I asked for clarification in the forum of "Scwhwerkraft-Verlag". Carsten (from Schwerkraft-Verlag) told me, that the icons are correct and the text is wrong. The correct text is: "Senke eine beliebige Wärme-Produktion um 2. Erhöhe deine Energie-Produktion um 1" (siehe http://www.wargamegeek.de/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=148#p426]).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick P.
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing these mistakes out!

I just got my german version this weekend. Since I sleeved all the cards I'm going to put a small piece of paper with errata into the sleeve of those cards. It's better than removing the cards from the pool to avoid mistakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick P.
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed that the "Raumstation" does miss the word "Effekt:".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Young, rich and sexy wrote:
I just noticed that the "Raumstation" does miss the word "Effekt:".

Thanks for pointing that out!
I just looked through the cards, the Olympus Conference has the same error.
I updated the main post with both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Rüscher
Germany
Paderborn
flag msg tools
badge
Brettspieler
mbmbmbmbmb
Irgendwie schräg, eine Diskussion über Fehler in der deutschen Version auf Englisch zu führen

Davon abgesehen: danke für die Klarstellungen und bei der Gelegenheit danke an Frank (fppm) für das coole 3D Overlay thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick P.
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Irgendwie schräg, eine Diskussion über Fehler in der deutschen Version auf Englisch zu führen

Yes, it seems to be a bit weird to discuss the german version in english, but the idea is that people owning the english version are able to read along and can provide information about the english card texts if needed.

And I found another mistake: "Kleiner Asteroid" (the promo card "Small Asteroid") lacks the minus symbol in front of the plants. By the way the english version has the same mistake, too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:

Yes, it seems to be a bit weird to discuss the german version in english, but the idea is that people owning the english version are able to read along and can provide information about the english card texts if needed.

And I found another mistake: "Kleiner Asteroid" (the promo card "Small Asteroid") lacks the minus symbol in front of the plants. By the way the english version has the same mistake, too...

Interesting! I'll add it to the main post.
Also, it seems like this error happened on the english promos as well! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bornschein
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading through this post I'm geeting more and more unsure to buy the game. German or English version seem to have several mistakes. How severe are the German version mistakes (reprint needed?) and how severe are the English version mistakes (also: reprint needed?)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kopernikus wrote:
Reading through this post I'm geeting more and more unsure to buy the game. German or English version seem to have several mistakes. How severe are the German version mistakes (reprint needed?) and how severe are the English version mistakes (also: reprint needed?)?

All mistakes are listed here. That is enough for everyone making their own decision. I think they are minor. Maybe some things will be corrected in the next print run, I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bornschein
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thank you. Since there will be an official FAQ (?) I think that's really ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
ringo84 wrote:
Kopernikus wrote:

All mistakes are listed here. That is enough for everyone making their own decision. I think they are minor. Maybe some things will be corrected in the next print run, I don't know.

The next print run didn´t help owners of the first print run.
Unfortunately more and more games were released with errors and owners of first print runs have to live with the faulty products. A faq and errata document isn´t useful and slows down gameplay when you have to refer to it in the course of the game. It would be nice if we could get corrected cards for a very minor fee in the geekstore, once the second print run has been made. Schwerkraft Verlag has offered a correction for Arkwright in his online store and this could be done for TM also.
It will still be annoying to have to pay for something that wasn´t the buyers fault to receive a faultless product, but it will be better than a faq / errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick P.
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ringo84 wrote:
I think they are minor.

I think the mistakes are minor, too.

I removed the thermoelectric generator from the card pool, but left the other cards with mistakes in, because I think it is rather obvious how these cards should work. When we played we didn't even notice the mistakes and I'm sure we still used the cards how they are supposed to be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
ringo84 wrote:
I think they are minor.

I think the mistakes are minor, too.

I removed the thermoelectric generator from the card pool, but left the other cards with mistakes in, because I think it is rather obvious how these cards should work. When we played we didn't even notice the mistakes and I'm sure we still used the cards how they are supposed to be used.

Another easy solution is putting a small piece of paper into the same sleeve as any erroneous cards, to clarify the error.
Obviously that only works if you sleeved the cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Rüscher
Germany
Paderborn
flag msg tools
badge
Brettspieler
mbmbmbmbmb
Kopernikus wrote:

Die Anzahl an Fehlern ist übersichtlich und einige davon sind auch ohne Errata identifizierbar. Nach 15 Partien würde ich sagen: wer sich dieses tolle Spiel entgehen lässt, verpasst das Highlight dieses Herbstes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Holzapfel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also a minor mistake in the rulebook, saying that beginner corporations start with 45 instead of 42 M€.

But Schwerkraft has already released an Errata document containing all these issues:
http://www.schwerkraft-verlag.de/downloads/terraforming-mars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyrox wrote:
But Schwerkraft has already released an Errata document containing all these issues:
http://www.schwerkraft-verlag.de/downloads/terraforming-mars

Oh, nice! It's especially cool that this document also includes some other rules clarifications and frequently overlooked rules (like the fact you can do more than just 2 actions per generation ).

I suppose these FAQ/errata are already on the way in English as well? I'd be happy to translate this German version, tho I doubt you depend on my help here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Carsten from Schwerkraft-Verlag told me at Essen that the reprint which is already on it's way and will be available in January will have the errata included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Holzapfel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While playing a solo game today, I found another, rather funny mistake.

My re-translations back to English here are just my own, as I don't have the English card.

On card #181 (Polare Eiskappen abschmelzen / Melting the polar ice caps) the flavor text reads "Das Wasser der Polen zurückgewinnen" ("Winning back the water from the Polish").

And here I was, thinking we had a world goverment and the idea of individual states would be gone, but it seems like even in the distant future the Polish will still have to deal with us Germans taking their stuff.
Sorry, couldn't resist :-P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Holzapfel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
Carsten from Schwerkraft-Verlag told me at Essen that the reprint which is already on it's way and will be available in January will have the errata included.

Well, at least I hope that in contrast to all the other publisher, they will offer the errata'd cards as a small upgrade pack for all previous buyers. I'd even pay a reasonable price for that (1€ for 5 cards send in an envelope sounds fair to me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Reuter
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominik, as you might know we are a political-incorrect publisher!

Seriously, this a mistake in the flavor text that will also be corrected.

A big Sorry to our fantastic Polish partner:
Rebel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyrox wrote:
On card #181 (Polare Eiskappen abschmelzen / Melting the polar ice caps) the flavor text reads "Das Wasser der Polen zurückgewinnen" ("Winning back the water from the Polish").

Well, the English version says "getting the water back from the poles", so I did wonder whether the "poles joke" was intentional. devil If it was, then you could preserve it in translation, as in "Das Wasser von den Polen zurückgewinnen/zurückholen". If you really want to make the rather tired joke, that is. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.