Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I read the rulebook correctly you choose one of your mission cards at the start, and shuffle the other mission cards into your deck, and play them for free, when they come up, right?
Today we played the first game with my new copy and I destroyed my opponent, and it felt like it was because I drew my missions way before him.
So my question is not just that if I read the rules right, but if we did play correctly? Isn't this an insane ammount of luck in the game? Is there some kind of tactics to mitigate this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Swainbank
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
It sounds like you played it correctly. And yes, if you draw all you missions early, that can certainly help. You still need to complete those missions. So, drawing them early is not generally decisive.

With a little experience, players know to take active steps to buy time and prevent opponents from completing their missions.

Also, the game is pretty generous with its card drawing. Sometimes you'll want to play and discard cards quickly to get to missions or other resources. That is a mentality that takes some getting used to for some players.

And then which mission you choose to start with can be significant. It's good to choose something that can be scored multiple times for a lot of points and going to be interactive so you're playing lots of cards to draw into those next missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replying. I still feel like we might play with the house rule of sticking the other two mission cards at about one third and two third of the deck. Btw I just checked the rulebook, and when constructing decks there is no limit to mission cards, rights? I'm interested to see what adding more missions to the deck does to the game. Or maybe playing to more mojo then 11. Any thoughts on these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Swainbank
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
There is no limit to the number of mission cards in your deck. You are limited to 3 missions in play and can't play duplicates. But you could add missions cards (including duplicates) just to make then easier to draw.

If you want to try pre-positioning missions in the deck or playing to a higher mojo count, feel free. If that was just your first game I would suggest another play or two to see if that's really a recurring problem. But, yeah, go ahead and see what works for you. Let us know how it turns out.

Out of curiosity, what where you playing to get the rapid victory? I can see how Merc and Crossfire might get a really fast win with the right mission flow. Seems like it would be harder for anyone else...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the preset deck BH1 against BV1. It's not that it was like a turn 2 win, it's just that I started with the mission where you have to KO minor characters, and everytime one came up, I pretty much instantly did, then I draw the other two missions, captured one of the villains, then captured the other and that was it. Which is absolutely thematic, really. My first impression is that this is a fast and light game, which I don't mind, what felt off really is how little my opponent could do to get mojo. In the last two turns everything I did gave me 2+ mojo. I mean I'm sure there's a layer to the game where you pick up respone carsd from the support deck to defend yourself, which we underplayed and other things, so this is really not a serious complaint. But I'm certainly really glad to talk to the designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.