Nicholas Traxinger
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This is a question for those that have played the saga expansions. Im very interested in playing all of the saga expansions but im afraid if I only buy the sagas and not the deluxe expansions and their cycle packs, that it would be a waste because of dificulty.

So my question is can I beat the saga expansions effectivly without buying into the deluxe expansions and cylce packs? Or would I get stomped like an orc in Fangorn forest?

Side note: I have the core set and most of that cylce plus Kazad-dum and 3 from that cycle so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for it mate, you got a pretty nice card pool so you should be able to make cool decks to beat the saga scenarios.
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill could be a cool one to start, it adds a bunch of dwarves so even more deckbuilding possible then with the dwarves cards you already have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sawatzky
Canada
Randolph
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a good portion of the cards that were available when the hobbit boxes were released, so you should have a pretty good shot at those quests. Especially once you add the saga cards too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still be prepared for a bumpy ride when starting with the Hobbit boxes. Maybe it is just me but I experienced the Hobbit expansions to be really hard and sometimes frustrating.
Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Russell
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like you have a good card base to play the saga quests.

I would start with Black Riders - this box has hobbit themed quests that are friendlier than the hobbit box quests, and actually has a lot of hobbit player cards - the hobbit boxes mainly have dwarf support cards.

I found the hobbit boxes quite fiddly to play and often lead to quick wipe outs (when playing solo with one deck). Of the hobbit boxes i preferred the 2nd hobbit box for the quests it had. The first box has one of the worst quests i have played (We Must Away - trolls with sack triggers - which conflict at carrock does better anyway), a fiddly riddle quest with gollum, and a nicer mountain giants quest that is easer. The 2nd box has a good spider quest, a stealing treasure from the dragon quest (very hard) and the battle of five armies - these are all tough but a bit more fun for me.

In hindsight i would just skip the hobbit boxes and go into the main saga. But i would complete the Dwarrowdelf cycle too as it remains my favourite series of quests. After this i liked The Lost Realms box too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wichura
msg tools
I`m in the same situation as you but already have all LoTR Saga expansions [without Hobbit - it is separate campaign]. Flame of the West just arriving to my home

From my research I found that you should buy one small expansion to have "Fast Hitch" card. It is must have with Hobbits deck. I did it and it is awesome. This card is in scenario "The Dead Marshes" (you can play this scenario with only the core set so good to have).

I also bought "Hunt for Gollum" to have Bilbo, but it is total good to have hero. In Saga I do not plan to use him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wookietrax wrote:
This is a question for those that have played the saga expansions. Im very interested in playing all of the saga expansions but im afraid if I only buy the sagas and not the deluxe expansions and their cycle packs, that it would be a waste because of dificulty.

So my question is can I beat the saga expansions effectivly without buying into the deluxe expansions and cylce packs? Or would I get stomped like an orc in Fangorn forest?

Side note: I have the core set and most of that cylce plus Kazad-dum and 3 from that cycle so far.

If you are playing Solo you probably have a good enough source of cards to go with the Saga Boxes from what I've read here on BGG. I don't have them yet. If like me you are playing not only solo but with 2,3 or 4 players all from one card pool, then the more cards you have the better selection to make decks that support each other, and everyone enjoys. I take several of my cards out from solo decks and put others in to make multiplayer builds work out right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.