Marco Hoehener
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Got the game today. Can't wait to play. Looks really really good!!!

I got four questions after reading the rules again:

1) For the Octavianus card, in the rules it says (for card bonus) 'You may use surplus instead of any basic resource when purchasing area cards.'

But on the picture it shows a building card.

Whats wrong? The text in the rules or the picture on the card? I guess the rules as you don't pay resources when you buy an area card. Right?

2) In a basic game (no advanced rules), why do you flip the war and building cards 90 degrees when using them to increase your influence markers? Why not just put them in the 'Used cards'-section? Just so you keep track of the set collection?

3) The cost for increasing your influence on the three cards 'S. Pompeius Magnus', 'G. Julius Caesar' and 'L. Junius Brutus' are all of the goods shown and not just this, this or that? So f.e. on the Caesar card if i want to increase my influence I have to pay 1 black good AND 1 green good AND 1 red good AND 1 surplus, right?

4) For the card 'Nerva', in the german rules it says (exactly translated): 'The player receives 1 additional resource from the chosen area card, when he does the respective action' - in this case the Quaestor action (get money). But I do not choose an area in this action. So should the card really show the Quaestor action and not the Aedilis action?

The English rules are a bit different and say 'you gain 1 extra resource from the area card assigned by the worker's value...'. So in the English rules I would interpret that if i go to the Quaestor action with a level 5 worker, I would get 10 money and afterwards look at region 5 and get one resource of my choice from whats shown on the area card there.

But as there are different rules interpretation possibilities in English and German, i wanted to check. So what is right here?

Thanks for Feedback

Cheers Marco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André Heines
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Mistake on Ceasar Octavianus card? And three other rules questions
Hi Marco,

I'll try to answer your questions as far as possible.

1) Without asking the author, I'd say, icon over text. It's an Aedificator action, so it should be a building card. The action modifier below refers to the Legatus action and war cards. We've all missed that one.

2) Please wait for the author's answer.

3) I don't have the final version of the game, but I guess you're talking about the first action modifiers in the third column of the annex.

Quote:
At the marked action location you can gain 1 area influence on the used area card by paying different resources/surplus/money shown on the card. Move the marker at this time (even if it is not on the game board yet).

It is allway AND, so yes, the Aedilis version is 1 black + 1 green + 1 red + 1 surplus, while the Mercator version next to it costs 5 denarius + 1 resource of your choice + 1 surplus. OR is marked by the icon containing all three colors.

4) I have to admit, that it's my fault. I've tried to translate it smoothly and missed out, that the Questor is not related to an area card.
Fact: The value of the worker determines the area card this modifier refers to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Attila Szőgyi
Hungary
Vác
Pest megye
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
mhoehener wrote:
Got the game today. Can't wait to play. Looks really really good!!!

I got four questions after reading the rules again:

1) For the Octavianus card, in the rules it says (for card bonus) 'You may use surplus instead of any basic resource when purchasing area cards.'

But on the picture it shows a building card.

Whats wrong? The text in the rules or the picture on the card? I guess the rules as you don't pay resources when you buy an area card. Right?

2) In a basic game (no advanced rules), why do you flip the war and building cards 90 degrees when using them to increase your influence markers? Why not just put them in the 'Used cards'-section? Just so you keep track of the set collection?

3) The cost for increasing your influence on the three cards 'S. Pompeius Magnus', 'G. Julius Caesar' and 'L. Junius Brutus' are all of the goods shown and not just this, this or that? So f.e. on the Caesar card if i want to increase my influence I have to pay 1 black good AND 1 green good AND 1 red good AND 1 surplus, right?

4) For the card 'Nerva', in the german rules it says (exactly translated): 'The player receives 1 additional resource from the chosen area card, when he does the respective action' - in this case the Quaestor action (get money). But I do not choose an area in this action. So should the card really show the Quaestor action and not the Aedilis action?

The English rules are a bit different and say 'you gain 1 extra resource from the area card assigned by the worker's value...'. So in the English rules I would interpret that if i go to the Quaestor action with a level 5 worker, I would get 10 money and afterwards look at region 5 and get one resource of my choice from whats shown on the area card there.

But as there are different rules interpretation possibilities in English and German, i wanted to check. So what is right here?

Thanks for Feedback

Cheers Marco

1) The card is the correct.
2) It is remain like this in the base game too, otherwise it can be more confusing when you start playing with advanced rules. The left and right side is for the advanced game.
3) Of course, you have to pay all what is shown on the card. Like you described Caesar: 1 surplus and 1 basic resource from each colour.
4) A worker always can indicate an area, even if you haven't used an area related action. Both the rules and cards are correct (Hungarian and English for sure, I understand those ).
"So in the English rules I would interpret that if i go to the Quaestor action with a level 5 worker, I would get 10 money and afterwards look at region 5 and get one resource of my choice from whats shown on the area card there." - That is a correct example, it is working exactly like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Hoehener
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great! Thanks to both of you for the super-fast answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.