$5.00
$20.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
47 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: "Suppressed Memories" Expansion Figures - Unbelievably Poor Quality rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Kirchhoff
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a real tough time finding the $50 in value in the quality of these miniatures.

The Byakhee & Nightgaunt in particular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to buy MOM 2 + this expansion, but I can't justify the price they are selling it for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
I was going to buy MOM 2 + this expansion, but I can't justify the price they are selling it for.

Welcome to the (New FFG (Owned by Asmodee (Owned by Eurazeo - a French investment company)) + a high USD to CAD exchange rate + a distribution monopoly in Canada by Lion Rampant + a Minimum Advertised Price policy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have this expansion, but are they any different in quality from the 1st edition? It seems they are just reboxing old 1st edition material they had left over. (at least the base games minis are the exact same in the 2nd edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barks
Australia
Armidale
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean they are poor sculpts (lack of detail/ pose/ etc) or poor casting (mould lines, excess plastic, imperfections) or poor plastic (bent or broken)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martin
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the quality in the base game was exceptionally poor. Is this any different?

Now, that said, I think the game is great, and plan to get the expansions in spite of the minis. I've made peace with the crappy minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bkirchhoff wrote:
I have a real tough time finding the $50 in value in the quality of these miniatures.

The Byakhee & Nightgaunt in particular.

So.... what "in particular" are your issues with them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sullivan
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you are complaining about something but don't say what your actual issue is with them. You aren't helping people out by saying something is bad but not describing how.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, I think most people agree that the quality of the minis is not great but the game is absolutely brilliant and has provided me with more hours of fun than any other game. The cards, tokens and tiles are top notch so I can live with the poor minis(which I personally think are ok). Also cost is relative to how many gaming hours you get....and you get an awful lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Andersson
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
Uuurrh! I let him in, uuuhh, was that not cool? Arrrarrh...
mbmbmbmbmb
steftymo wrote:
Also cost is relative to how many gaming hours you get....and you get an awful lot.

Care to go a little deeper on that subject? (I might argue that you get fewer "gaming hours" in this game compared to most/many other games as it's not that usual that boardgames contain spoiler but I would like to know what you mean. Also the "relative" part, do you meen this game or games in general.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the Meeplescope
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree that the quality of the miniatures is terrible compared to the more recent CMON and other companies.

Very prominent mould lines and poor facial details. They take a lot of work to clean up. To be fair, once painted they look much better. If I honestly did't love the 1st Ed so much, I probably wouldn't be swayed by these minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ilgoga wrote:
steftymo wrote:
Also cost is relative to how many gaming hours you get....and you get an awful lot.

Care to go a little deeper on that subject? (I might argue that you get fewer "gaming hours" in this game compared to most/many other games as it's not that usual that boardgames contain spoiler but I would like to know what you mean. Also the "relative" part, do you meen this game or games in general.)

If you have a game that costs £40 but only play 3-4 times compared with a game that costs £70 that is played 20 times then obviously you get better value with the more expensive game.
I also find that more people who I play with enjoy this game and all our sessions have been great fun.
Therefore cost is not so important. Better a game that is played regularly than one that just sits on the shelf.
Not sure what you mean by the spoiler part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's all matter of perspective. People who have played lots of other miniatures games from other companies may be disappointed with the quality of the figures since they have seen better.

MoM 1st Edition happened to be my first game with a bunch of miniatures, and I thought they were awesome, and 2nd edition has similar quality, so I'm happy with them. For someone who was used to standard board games using small pewter figures at best, or even something like pandemic which is simply colored cubes, having figures of this detail adds a whole new level of flare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Inmat4251 wrote:
I think it's all matter of perspective. People who have played lots of other miniatures games from other companies may be disappointed with the quality of the figures since they have seen better.

MoM 1st Edition happened to be my first game with a bunch of miniatures, and I thought they were awesome, and 2nd edition has similar quality, so I'm happy with them. For someone who was used to standard board games using small pewter figures at best, or even something like pandemic which is simply colored cubes, having figures of this detail adds a whole new level of flare.

2nd ed minis are MASSIVELY worse than 1st ed so you're wrong there.

And it's not a matter of perspective at all. These minis bend constantly, have flash and mold lines all over them and rarely if ever fit in the equally terrible bases which ALSO have mold and flash and half the time are cracked and broken.

The game is great but the components are complete shit. People need to stop defending FFG over this product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Barks wrote:
Do you mean they are poor sculpts (lack of detail/ pose/ etc) or poor casting (mould lines, excess plastic, imperfections) or poor plastic (bent or broken)?

Literally all of these things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:

I'm far from an expert, but this hasn't been my experience. They are definitely a different type of plastic; the 2nd edition feels harder to me, but again, that might just be my perspective. I would need some type of plastic figure Mohs Hardness Scale equivalent to be sure.

There is absolutely more flash that needs to be cleaned up on the 2nd edition figures but the second edition figures in my set have much deeper/clearer (?) detailing than my 1st edition set.

None of my 2nd edition bases are cracked or problematic. I'm not saying there aren't problems, I'm just not seeing it with my set. I have this expansion ordered so I can compare the 1st, 2nd and then expansion pieces.

It's entirely possible that Q/C is the issue here and that there are more bad batches of figures. I'm by no means a FFG defender; just figured I'd toss my observations in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:

Rob Oren from Miniature World compared both sets and said that the molding and detailing in the 2nd edition got a lot better, compared to the 1st edition.
There we have two complete contrary statements. Everyone can have their own opinion but STOP claiming that people are just defending FFG! There are many people out there who also know what they are talking about! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
ilgoga wrote:
steftymo wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmie Andersson
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
Uuurrh! I let him in, uuuhh, was that not cool? Arrrarrh...
mbmbmbmbmb
steftymo wrote:
ilgoga wrote:
steftymo wrote:

If you have a game that costs £40 but only play 3-4 times compared with a game that costs £70 that is played 20 times then obviously you get better value with the more expensive game.
I also find that more people who I play with enjoy this game and all our sessions have been great fun.
Therefore cost is not so important. Better a game that is played regularly than one that just sits on the shelf.
Not sure what you mean by the spoiler part.

Thanks for answering, I get what you are saying and of course I agree, I read it in another way in the other post. This is one of my favorite games now and totally worth it's cost but I feel the second time you play a scenario it's a lot less fun (because you know a lot even if a lot can be different), that's what I mean by spoilers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Anduin wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:

Rob Oren from Miniature World compared both sets and said that the molding and detailing in the 2nd edition got a lot better, compared to the 1st edition.
There we have two complete contrary statements. Everyone can have their own opinion but STOP claiming that people are just defending FFG! There are many people out there who also know what they are talking about! surprise

Better / more detailed sculpts, worse quality control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kirchhoff
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordevilthefirst wrote:
So, you are complaining about something but don't say what your actual issue is with them. You aren't helping people out by saying something is bad but not describing how.

Neither the Byakhee or Nightgaunt miniatures (2 of each) will actually affix to the bases. They are so poorly designed/molded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I gave up on the pegs and just glued the suckers down on the base. If I'm going to invest $83 (now $170 with the expansions) for this one game, I better get my money's worth. If this was based on miniatures alone, I would have sworn never to buy a FFG again. But luckily the game itself is fun. That's what matters most for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron heil
United States
BALTIMORE
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest I gave up on the miniatures entirely and just use the tokens for the monsters it all fits in the box better with all the tiles from the base game and the 1st ed. expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vulpes484 wrote:
To be honest I gave up on the miniatures entirely and just use the tokens for the monsters it all fits in the box better with all the tiles from the base game and the 1st ed. expansions
What did you do with those minis you aren't using good sir?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Jello
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if everything in this game line was available at half the cost with cardboard standees, I would buy every expansion FF ever releases. Storing and looking at those ugly misshapen grey blobs takes me out of the game, and I'm not going to learn to paint just to paint mediocre miniatures. I will probably stop with the base box now, and no doubt will end up selling it off after I've played each of the limited scenarios in that box a time or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.