Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the first Combat Commander game on exotic Easter Island

Mr. Jensen’s Random Vacation Generator (RVG) rolled up a pleasant surprise, sending us 4000 KM southeast from Tahiti to the remote island of Rapa Nui, which English-speakers call Easter Island. (Thanks, Chad !!)

The once-per-week flight is a Red-Eye departing at 3am. Weather here is temperate, a nice change from the muggy heat of Papeete, and we also seem to have thankfully left behind the various varieties of biting gnats and mosquitoes. My Bad Mexican Spanish works just fine here in what is officially Chile (doesn’t work in Argentina). We got Donna underwater for two good scuba dives Wednesday, then set up what was probably the first Combat Commander game on Rapa Nui.

Donna approaches the ‘Underwater Moai’

The Random Scenario Generator (RSG) presented Donna with an American Replacement Company, plus an extra 8-2 leader, defending the church and road junction on map 54 narrow against my standard 1943 German Rifle Company. In the first turn, German fire broke the American HMG team, and it was eliminated soon thereafter, causing Donna, uncharacteristically, to seem to lose heart. We exchanged fire for a few time triggers, with the Germans having the better of it. Donna suffered a very long dearth of Recover cards in mid-game. In desperation she threw smoke grenades (hindrance 7) to screen some important broken units, and the Germans used that smoke as cover to move up a number of units adjacent to the key position. Several successful advances and melees later, the Americans had taken enough casualties, and in TT6 they surrendered. But it was closer than it sounds, as the Germans also had suffered more than 50% casualties. T’was an interesting fire and maneuver game, though I enjoyed it more than Donna.

The biggest religious compound anywhere in Polynesia

Donna has been photo-blogging our holiday, ‘Ten weeks in the South Pacific’. For anyone who is interested, it may be found here:

http://www.traveldiariesapp.com/en/PublicDiary/bac1e29e-7367...

If that link won’t work for you, email Donna at imdhreeves@yahoo.com and she will send you back a working invitation to the blog. (Donna really LOVES blog comments, btw.)

I recommend that you at least check out her ‘Stunning Experience’ chapter to see photos of Mt. Yasur enthusiastically erupting as we stand on the crater rim, throwing bus-sized blocks of rapidly-cooling lava 1000 feet in the air ! Those are not telephoto shots, just point-and-click !! They haven’t killed any tourists yet, but it is bound to happen, and then folks will no longer be allowed to get so amazingly close to the action.

Unfinished Moai forever awaiting completion

In 9 games of our CC holiday series we now have:

5 games won by Donna
5 games won by the Americans
6 games won by the defenders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
These are just great, Chick! I was wondering earlier today where you might end up next and if you'd be sharing with us. Enjoy and safe travels!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been watching a lot of Everest documentaries and movies lately. The top of Everest or K2 would be a great place to have a game. I would go for Everest, the summit's flatter.

What's the story with the underwater one? Did they put it there on purpose, or was it so badly done, they wanted to throw it in the "trash" so no-one would see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great read! Though I feel you should have played Giants! Thanks for that. I must head on over to the blog now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hadn't heard of GIANTS, but it is raining steadily this morning, so a copy might be a good thematic past-time.

The submerged Moai is a modern one placed to thrill scuba-diving tourists, and allow that photo to be taken !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"My friend Walt went there to surf and ended up staying for 6 months."

As Jimmy Buffet said "Some people claim that there's a woman to blame."

(EDIT - - - Paul unfortunately got POed at BGG and deleted all of his content, which removed the very interesting story of his friend Walt's surfing and amorous exploits on Easter Island. This makes my posts unintelligible. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just feel there must be a woman as motivator somewhere in your buddy Walt's long stay here on Easter Island. There's really NOT that much to do after one has checked out all the historical sites. And at this season, at least, the waves are nothing to get excited about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story, Paul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Johnny hastily dug a foxhole, careful not to damage the sticky bomb detonator. The tank rumbled nearer. Fear of being crushed or spotted consumed him; yet seconds later, he deftly slapped the bomb onto a greasy gear and spun for cover, snap-firing...
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup Best thread I've read all year. cool

Anyone seen the salt shaker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.