Popular Tags: single_word_in_CAPS_meme [+] [View All]
Greg Justice
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hot 10, easy peasy. Top 10, too many variables. I'm flummoxed. Totally stuck.

So, I ask you, what methods (or metrics) did you use when creating your Top 10?

And, yes, I get that it's completely subjective. But I'd love to see some of the thinking behind the choices. Most played? Best memories? Does it have to be something you STILL play?

For example, I ask myself, what game have I played the most? Lifetime, it's Monopoly, hands down. But I haven't played, nor wanted to play in ages. So that's not Top 10 material is it? OR.. is it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent about 15 seconds on it about five years ago and forgot it was there until you posted this thread.

Pete (was actually surprised to see that his top ten was populated)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My ten favorite games. What else would it be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Which game do I, as a whole, enjoy most?
Which game do I, as a whole, enjoy second-most?
Which game do I, as a whole, enjoy third-most?
etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy... I chose the games I rank and love the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why people bother. Anyone can look at my game collection and find out which are my top 10 with a quick sort. Why would I want to make a special list?

EDIT: I'm not being snarky, I'm really curious. Why do people go to the extra effort?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which games would I play again immediately after finishing?
Which games would I never turn down an offer to play?
Which games do I push to play the most?
Which games am I subscribed to because I want to be involved in everything that is said about it?

Skutsch, some people have more than ten games rated a 10, some people don't bother logging ratings at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I must play more games to create a top ten ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Anyone can look at my game collection and find out which are my top 10 with a quick sort.

Because who's going to be arsed with that?

I only did a top ten a year or so ago, because I just assumed it was autogenerated from the your ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
I don't understand why people bother. Anyone can look at my game collection and find out which are my top 10 with a quick sort. Why would I want to make a special list?

EDIT: I'm not being snarky, I'm really curious. Why do people go to the extra effort?

It's a quick snap shot on your profile that saves a few clicks. Gives a gauge along with other things on the profile without 'researching'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My top 10 is simply my favorite 10 games. Figured that was easy. I use to use the top 10 as my 10 most played games k.rollkng 45 day. But that required me to update it a lot.

Conversely, I find the Hot 10 impossible to come up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowless11 wrote:
Which game do I, as a whole, enjoy most?
Which game do I, as a whole, enjoy second-most?
Which game do I, as a whole, enjoy third-most?
etc.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElCapitan76 wrote:
Hot 10, easy peasy. Top 10, too many variables. I'm flummoxed. Totally stuck.

So, I ask you, what methods (or metrics) did you use when creating your Top 10?

Top ten favorite games, period. No hidden formulas for me.

And, yes, I get that it's completely subjective. But I'd love to see some of the thinking behind the choices. Most played? Best memories? Does it have to be something you STILL play?

Not most played at all, memories sometimes go hand and hand, but not critical, and probably yes, still play.

For example, I ask myself, what game have I played the most? Lifetime, it's Monopoly, hands down. But I haven't played, nor wanted to play in ages. So that's not Top 10 material is it? OR.. is it?

It isn't. Unless it's one of your 10 favorite games, number of plays is irrelevant in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My top 10 are the games I most want to play right now. My goal is for these games to have my most recorded plays, but several are hard to get to the table due to game length and needing the right set of players. 1 does represent a game I have many fond memories of, being more a lifestyle game, that I don't actively play anymore.

Ranking my top 7 or 8 is very easy. For the ones near the bottom of my top 10, and when I do my top 100, I look at mainly the games I rate 8-9 and try to place them in an approximate sequence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Justice
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
My top 10 is simply my favorite 10 games. Figured that was easy. I use to use the top 10 as my 10 most played games k.rollkng 45 day. But that required me to update it a lot.

Funny, maybe the question really should be - why bother with two lists then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
skutsch wrote:

Same reason you spend the time making all the polls. Something amusing to do to pass the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:

To save the rest of us from being overwhelmed with more forum threads, "hey, what's your Top 10".

(or a survey about it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My top 10 was easy to come up with, but I didn't have any idea what the hot 10 is for. I think I'm gonna start using it as a list of the games (I don't own) that I most want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElCapitan76 wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

Funny, maybe the question really should be - why bother with two lists then?

Why not? Some people might want to use two. It probably didn't take much coding and doesn't take up much space.

It's seven years old, but I made a geeklist discussing what people used the 'Hot 10' for.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/38977/hot-hot-hot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
I played games.

A whole lot of them too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Boy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always found it impossible. I can list ten games I love but it's the ordering that's impossible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
skutsch wrote:

It's a quick snap shot on your profile that saves a few clicks. Gives a gauge along with other things on the profile without 'researching'

I guess. I never even look at those two lists. I just assume they're either empty or out of date and so, if I'm interested, I go straight to the person's game list (2 more clicks, no big).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent a few hours on mine and carefully chose what I believe to be the 10 best games of all time to be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.