Ticket to Ride: First Journey (U.S.)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Two Train Card Face-Up Draw Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kent Carlisle

Illinois
msg tools
mb
I was thrilled when I heard that Alan R. Moon and the fine folks at Days of Wonder were releasing Ticket to Ride: First Journey! I went to Target about three days after it was released and purchased it. My wife, eleven year old daughter, and I played several games over the first couple days, and we loved it! In fact, my daughter actually prefers First Journey to regular Ticket to Ride games.

However, after a few days playing, my daughter and I wondered how to integrate face up train card drawing into the game. She came up with the idea of having only two train cards face up, of which you could only choose one of them. So we came up with the following Face-Up Card Draw Variant that we love to play with which helps it to feel even more like regular Ticket to Ride, yet still keeping it simple enough:

1. At the beginning of the game in addition to the blind draw deck, two train cards are also placed face up from which to draw.

2. On their turn (if they decide to draw train cards) a player may either draw two blind train cards or one face-up card and one blind card.

3. If the player chooses one of each, the player receives the chosen face-up card plus the top card from the blind draw deck. The next (or second) card then is placed in the face up pile to replenish it.

4. If a Wild/Rainbow Train Engine Card is showing in the face up pile, it may be taken along with a second card as already outlined above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the problem you saw with the game as it was? (Maybe lack of strategy?)

Did this fix the issue for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Carlisle

Illinois
msg tools
mb
It wasn't so much a "problem." As the game is designed for 6 years old and above, the rules themselves are simplistic, but not merely simple. And there really is a significant amount of strategy involved in this game too (especially having the option to discard both of your destination tickets if you don't like them). When you play First Journey, it really feels like you are playing Ticket to Ride, Jr. However, the one main thing that is different is that if you draw train cards for your turn, you merely draw two cards off the top every time. We sort of missed the Face up draw option, so we came up with this variant. It feels "just right" to us now It kind of makes the rules/game one step closer to regular Ticket to Ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally get that, and it's all fine, of course, to play as you like.

If you would have played this one as your first TtR game, then I think the open draw would not seem to be missing, and I think it offers a chance to slow the game down - a tiny bit for some, more than that for others. (Maybe I'm just projecting!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Biggs
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Did you try dealing 4, but only allowing players to draw 1 face up? So they get more from gambling, but no guarantee of getting useful cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.