Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Adam,

Sorry for the rules question spam, but I ran across another situation that I'm not 100% certain on. It's in regards to Radicalization, and the difference in wording between the Base game and The Awakening.

In both games, the Jihadist bot flowchart results in "End" if the card was a playable Jihadist Event. However, the wording for when to use Radicalization is slightly different, and is causing me some confusion:

Base Game wrote:
When the flowcharts set up a situation where the Jihadists cannot use any Operations value received from a card...

The Awakening wrote:
If the Jihadist Bot performs no Operation,...

So, in the base game, it is implied that the bot must be trying an Operation, but failing to take full advantage of the Ops points, to try Radicalization. So, a flowchart result of "End" would not allow Radicalization, as no Operation is being attempted.

However, in The Awakening, is "End" the same as "no Operation", i.e. if the card was a playable Jihadist Event, does it then perform Radicalization? Does the phase ending come before the realization that no Operation was carried out?

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Colin,

No worries about your questions. I'm happy to answer them. When the Jihadist or US bot uses a card for the Event, they will never perform Radicalization or Homeland Security operations. The only exception is the automatic event of "US Elections" for which the Bots trigger the auto event first, then use the card's ops value to perform operations, which in theory could result in Rad/HD.

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YesMyNameIs Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it correct to assume that nothing in Radicalization with the new bot is automatic or free? I assume cells aren't available if funding doesn't allow, and that all radicalized operations still roll for success. Is this correct? I prefer the new way over the old... Seems a lot less random, and more human.

Thanks,

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Craig, that is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nmtadam wrote:
Hi Colin,

No worries about your questions. I'm happy to answer them. When the Jihadist or US bot uses a card for the Event, they will never perform Radicalization or Homeland Security operations. The only exception is the automatic event of "US Elections" for which the Bots trigger the auto event first, then use the card's ops value to perform operations, which in theory could result in Rad/HD.

Adam

OK, thanks for confirming. Perhaps if there is a reprint, you could alter that section just slightly. Just an odd sequence to essentially say:

1. End the Turn without an Operation
2. Do Radicalization, as no Operation was done
3. Don't do Radicalization, as turn is over

I think it would be better worded something more like the Base game, to make it clear an Operation must be attempted, and excess Ops value is applied to Radicalization.

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefanos Pallas
Greece
Trikala
flag msg tools
badge
Achilles and Ajax playing a boardgame
mbmbmbmbmb
smittyohio wrote:
Is it correct to assume that nothing in Radicalization with the new bot is automatic or free? I assume cells aren't available if funding doesn't allow, and that all radicalized operations still roll for success. Is this correct? I prefer the new way over the old... Seems a lot less random, and more human.

Thanks,

Craig

Where in the rulebook is this rule written? I can't find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
stepal wrote:
smittyohio wrote:

Thanks,

Craig

Where in the rulebook is this rule written? I can't find it.

It's not. There's nothing in the rulebook that says the bot gets to Recruit during Radicalization without respecting Funding, or that Travelling during Radicalization is automatic. Radicalization is essentially a laundry list of varying actions that the bot might do if there's nothing major out there or they can't spend it all on one Operation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.