Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Loving Hardcore History with Dan Carlin
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at the Prosthetic Item that doesn't discard. RN of 4 and do 2 damage or RN of 10 and do 3 damage. When would I ever choose RN 4 except when I'm going to die before resolving the card? There are no "stun" rules in Grimslingers, so the advantage of going first seems only to apply to very specific situations where certain cards are involved.

And I looked through a bunch of items and signature spells and didn't find anything specifically that would combat someone using this seemingly very powerful weapon. Are there ways in the game to force someone to discard an Item that doesn't discard? If I got this card, wouldn't I just play it every round? What is the risk?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:
I'm looking at the Prosthetic Item that doesn't discard. RN of 4 and do 2 damage or RN of 10 and do 3 damage. When would I ever choose RN 4 except when I'm going to die before resolving the card? There are no "stun" rules in Grimslingers, so the advantage of going first seems only to apply to very specific situations where certain cards are involved.

And I looked through a bunch of items and signature spells and didn't find anything specifically that would combat someone using this seemingly very powerful weapon. Are there ways in the game to force someone to discard an Item that doesn't discard? If I got this card, wouldn't I just play it every round? What is the risk?

You could spam it I guess, but 3 DMG with an RN of 10 isn't that great, you'll always get hit first and aren't defending yourself at all.

Fire or amnesia are the best way to get rid of cards in someone's hand. Wind helps get rid of them for a turn.

Fire/amnesia permanently get rid of an item.

Also 2nd edition rules change all do not discard items to deactivate on use. It prevents spamming these items, even though spamming really isn't a good strategy IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ssgibson wrote:
aram12 wrote:

You could spam it I guess, but 3 DMG with an RN of 10 isn't that great, you'll always get hit first and aren't defending yourself at all.

Fire or amnesia are the best way to get rid of cards in someone's hand. Wind helps get rid of them for a turn.

Fire/amnesia permanently get rid of an item.

Also 2nd edition rules change all do not discard items to deactivate on use. It prevents spamming these items, even though spamming really isn't a good strategy IMO.

Ah, I missed the text on Fire saying "active card". It makes sense that's there's a way for every player to have an opportunity to stop an item card.

Btw, I assume you choose what the RN of such cards are after cards are revealed but before resolution begins, correct? But in what player
order? Or does it not matter to the game space?

Thanks for the answers so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah this is something I forgot to address in the rulebook. D'oh.

But yeah, you choose it when the card is revealed.

Also I forgot to say, the pistol portion of the prosthetic is very helpful in the campaign because creatures often will screw over cards with a higher RN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clarke
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aram12 wrote:

Ah, I missed the text on Fire saying "active card". It makes sense that's there's a way for every player to have an opportunity to stop an item card.

Actually I was wrong here...Active Card is a card in your hand, not one about the resolve that was played during the Draw phase.

Needless to say, I played a 4 player free for all and another player got the Prosthetic. He looked at it for a moment and asked me, "Why wouldn't I just play this every turn on an RN of 10?" He soon found out when his opponent played Exalt and he HAD to play it's RN as 4 to undercut the Exalt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.