$20.00
David Ferguson
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Hello!

Played my first game today and enjoyed it.

On page 12 of the rules, it says, regarding Ambushing "After he resolves that card, it is discarded." Meaning that if Dracula chooses to use his Encounter card in an ambush, then it is discarded after resolving the non-matured section of the card. That is clear to me.

Here's my question... In the 'Search' section is says that a hunter searches for and then resolves all the non-matured effects of the card.

So what happens to the encounter card after the hunter resolves it? Does it stay on the hideout face up? Is is discarded, like during the ambush?

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Levad
United States
Selah
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless the card says differently it is discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Markzilla wrote:
Unless the card says differently it is discarded.

This is what FFG keeps saying, in the rules and FAQ, but it is not fully accurate, because New Vampire and Reckless Vampire cards are not automatically discarded, but it does not say so on the cards. (They persist until they receive lethal damage in combat, as per the rules reference.)

P.S. That information COULD have fit on the card, and SHOULD have been put on the card, but it wasn't, and because of that FFG's and Markzilla's simple rule of thumb is invalidated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Smith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I appreciate this definitive statement. But, shouldn't it also be the case that the "Aristocratic Vampire" encounter should also remain on the hideout if, for whatever reason, the hunter chooses not to be delayed and discard the encounter?

It seems like the simplest solution, that would bring everything into agreement, would be to pretend/assume that each of the vampire encounter cards says explicitly in the text "Return to hideout face up if not defeated (New/Reckless) or discarded (Aristocratic)". If there is ever another printing, this should be a high priority IMO.

I agree that the FAQ (I'm reading v1.0 Dec 4, 2015) is self-contradictory on this point, which in itself is kind of an embarrassment.

I should say, though, that for a game with a lot of rules and many card effects FoD seems to run more smoothly and with fewer collisions and ambiguities than most games of this type. So, some credit is definitely due for FFG (just very slightly less than full credit).

Meanwhile, one further question: When the "Reckless Vampire" encounter reads "Each time you resolve "Fangs" during an ambush advance the influence track by 1", should this be considered additive with the influence track advancement already described on the "Fangs" combat card? which, in turn, I understand that there is some debate about, though the FFG Erratum seems to make it fairly clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lightship wrote:
But, shouldn't it also be the case that the "Aristocratic Vampire" encounter should also remain on the hideout if, for whatever reason, the hunter chooses not to be delayed and discard the encounter?
Yes, that is another example - though it is clearer (implicitly) that the card persists.

Lightship wrote:
It seems like the simplest solution, that would bring everything into agreement, would be to pretend/assume that each of the vampire encounter cards says explicitly in the text "Return to hideout face up if not defeated (New/Reckless) or discarded (Aristocratic)".
Yes, that is explained in the Rules Reference but should also be on the card itself.

Lightship wrote:
If there is ever another printing, this should be a high priority IMO.
Sadly, there will not be another printing, as FFG has lost the license (see several other threads).

Lightship wrote:
I agree that the FAQ (I'm reading v1.0 Dec 4, 2015) is self-contradictory on this point, which in itself is kind of an embarrassment.

I should say, though, that for a game with a lot of rules and many card effects FoD seems to run more smoothly and with fewer collisions and ambiguities than most games of this type. So, some credit is definitely due for FFG (just very slightly less than full credit).[/b]Yes, that is about right. I just think that the bar should be higher for a 3+ hour game to reduce rules look up and contradictions.

[q="Lightship"]Meanwhile, one further question: When the "Reckless Vampire" encounter reads "Each time you resolve "Fangs" during an ambush advance the influence track by 1", should this be considered additive with the influence track advancement already described on the "Fangs" combat card? which, in turn, I understand that there is some debate about, though the FFG Erratum seems to make it fairly clear.

The Reckless Vampire card awards +1 influence if Fangs resolves during an Ambush. With rare exceptions (e.g. Long Night) an ambush will take place during the Day. The Fangs card awards +1 influence when it resolves at night. So most of the time there will be only one influence gained regardless. But, if somehow the ambush happens at night, then I believe it would be cumulative, +2 influence for Fangs resolving during a night ambush by a Reckless Vampire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Meney
Scotland
Larbert
Stirlingshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would this perhaps be the case when a hunter searches at night and the Reckless Vampire is revealed?

This happened in last night game and we advanced influence twice as you suggested Randal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Addum wrote:
Would this perhaps be the case when a hunter searches at night and the Reckless Vampire is revealed?

This happened in last night game and we advanced influence twice as you suggested Randal.

A search is not an ambush, so the +1 for the reckless vampire would not apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.