Subject: Jihadist bot - Recruit and Travel To/EvO question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's getting too late to be working on reading the new bots, but for the life of me, I can't seem to grasp one of the flowchart boxes for Recruit and Travel To/EvO. The box says:

The Awakening wrote:
Poor Muslim with 1-4 more Cells than TandM where JSP?

So, if a Major Jihad was possible, it would have done so in the first flowchart box of EvO. And the Jihadist Bot does not Minor Jihad at Poor. So, when would the answer to the above be Yes? I can't seem to think of a situation, and it's bugging me. I'm sure it's obvious, and I'm just missing it.

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Colin,

Remember that the Jihadist side needs at least 5 more cells than troops + militia in order to attempt Major Jihad. So the box in question is checking if there are Poor countries that are getting close to that magic number,

Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard dyrda
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If using the new bots with the old game with Potent, it seems to make sense to shift the above to 1-2 Poor Muslim.... You agree?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Richard,

I'm not sure I understand. Are you referring to the Potent of 12.5? The difficulty levels don't change the requirement of 5 more cells than TandM for a Major Jihad attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nmtadam wrote:
Hi Colin,

Remember that the Jihadist side needs at least 5 more cells than troops + militia in order to attempt Major Jihad. So the box in question is checking if there are Poor countries that are getting close to that magic number,

Adam

Hmmm, then I think I don't understand what JSP means. Could you define? I had assumed it meant that a Jihad of some sort was possible at that point, such as the box right before that one that says:

The Awakening wrote:
Cell in Good or Fair Muslim where JSP?

In that case, if the answer is yes, and JSP possible, you do a Minor Jihad. In the box I'm questioning, you can't do either a Minor or Major Jihad, as the country is at Poor (no Minor), and 1-4 Cell advantage (no Major).

Should the "where JSP?" part be removed?

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Colin,

JSP applies only to Awakening and is in reference to the net Awakening and Reaction marker status. In some countries, Jihad success (Minor or Major) will be impossible because of the +1 die modifies of several Awakening markers.

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
So the Jihadist bot won't try to recruit or travel to a country where they currently can't success on Jihad rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nmtadam wrote:
Hi Colin,

JSP applies only to Awakening and is in reference to the net Awakening and Reaction marker status. In some countries, Jihad success (Minor or Major) will be impossible because of the +1 die modifies of several Awakening markers.

Adam

Ah, OK. I didn't see any double dagger symbols in the red box, next to the JSP description, so wasn't aware it was for The Awakening only (the DRM description above does have the dagger). So if playing the base game, I should ignore those boxes, then.

Thanks,

Colin

Edit - Actually, seeing as JSP is in the prior box also, that can lead to Minor Jihad, I suppose I can't ignore. I presume I just treat JSP as an unmodified number, right, i.e. pretend that the "where JSP" section is missing? So, for the box in question, the answer will always be No in the Base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Colin,

Don't ignore the boxes, just ignore the JSP portion. Originally the JSP portion was color-coded to indicate it applies only to the expansion, but that system was replaced by the daggers and didn't work in the flowchart boxes.

So in the base game, if there is a Poor country with 1-4 more cells than troops, answer yes.

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nmtadam wrote:
Hi Colin,

Don't ignore the boxes, just ignore the JSP portion. Originally the JSP portion was color-coded to indicate it applies only to the expansion, but that system was replaced by the daggers and didn't work in the flowchart boxes.

So in the base game, if there is a Poor country with 1-4 more cells than troops, answer yes.

Adam

Got it. I'm just having a hard time remembering that JSP refers to the dice roll, not the ability to do the Major Jihad. So, you are right, the answer for the base game will always be Yes, not No.

Obviously, I understand now how it works, but for new players, I think this is confusing. There is no description that I could find regarding JSP, and what it actually means. Your explanation is clear now, but perhaps it could be added to the red box. Just something quick that explains it refers to the dice roll, not ability to actually do the Jihad (and that it only applies to The Awakening, not the base game).

Thanks,

Colin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I agree. I'll come up with something for the errata and let Trevor know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Just something either in the Glossary, or in the red box. Maybe "JSP: Jihad success possible, after all modifiers. Always possible when used with Labyrinth: WOT."

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard dyrda
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
9.7 Potent allows only 3 more cells than troops (no militia in original game) for a major jihad...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Richard,

That's correct if using the original Labyrinth Jihadist Bot. However, none of the new Jihadist Bot difficulty settings have a reduced minimum of cells for Major Jihad.

Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter C
msg tools
I don't usually write stuff - but you guys forgot Bhutto...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.