4 Posts

BattleCON: Devastation of Indines» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Need for movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jitjit2x junior
Philippines
flag msg tools
If you played poorly and you and your opponent ended up on both sides of the arena, and your long range attacks are on discard, but you have dash and/or drive. Is it justifiable to use dash or drive just to get closer?
I mean you will loose dash or drive just to get closer along with the style used.

Is it a problem on game design? Or character design? Or just playing poorly

I think this is what other players are complaining, they feel restricted on what they can do in battlecon. They only want to move just a little bit closer, but don't want to use dash or drive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiran Kin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jitjit2x wrote:
If you played poorly and you and your opponent ended up on both sides of the arena, and your long range attacks are on discard, but you have dash and/or drive. Is it justifiable to use dash or drive just to get closer?
I mean you will loose dash or drive just to get closer along with the style used.

Is it a problem on game design? Or character design? Or just playing poorly

I think this is what other players are complaining, they feel restricted on what they can do in battlecon. They only want to move just a little bit closer, but don't want to use dash or drive

If you played poorly, then you're probably going to have to suffer for a beat or two in return. Whether it's because of positioning or other bad planning, that's only natural, ne? =)

If you want to try some higher-level play, though, look at your opponent's options. If you're at opposite ends of the board (range 6), many opponents won't have a style that will let them hit you, even with Shot (a base that has a range of 1~4). 6 range is a lot to ask.

If they only have one attack that can hit you, it's probably Shot paired with a specific style. Now check the Priority on that attack and see if you can match it with any combination of styles and bases; if you can, play a combination that matches it.

When you reveal your attack pairs, you'll clash, and your opponent won't be able to use Shot to hit you! They'll be forced into an attack that will either do nothing (like Grasp or Strike), bring them closer (like Dash or Drive), or, most likely, go slower in hopes of waiting for you to move in (via Burst).

If you can clash their Burst and their Shot, or if Burst is in discards, then you can safely use Drive or Dash to advance. In fact, a Drive with range on its paired style might even be able to win against a Shot—but I'm assuming that isn't the case, since from your description, I gather we're looking at a situation where one player really doesn't have any ways to hit.

Remember, also: it's OK to null a beat (i.e., missing your opponent in return for forcing them to miss you). Clashing is higher-level play, and if you can keep your opponent from using an attack that will hit you, you can move in safely while they waste their more powerful close-range cards.

The best thing, of course, would be to try to avoid this situation in the first place. The bottom line is that if you play poorly against an opponent who doesn't, they'll punish you for your mistakes. =)

~D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
    * It is okay to use Drive against a Dash or other evasive move in order to follow it, as long as you have some other variety of hit confirm in your hand.
    * There are three general phases in learning Dash: the phase where you never use it because it's not an attack; the phase where you use it as soon as possible because it's really good; and the phase where you realize that the repositioning it offers is as good as, and sometimes better than, the dodge effect it grants.

Against a character actively trying to generate range, "get closer" is a perfectly good reason to use Dash or Drive, especially since opponents of this type tend to have minimum ranges that you can later exploit. The best thing, though, is to anticipate the beats where they will create range and use Dash or Drive then to follow them, instead of on the subsequent beat where you will have to eat damage to do the same thing. (e.g. Dash vs Parallax makes a very sad Welsie)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Jakeman
msg tools
mbmbmb
I generally think that if every pair or play is a good play, then what is the point in playing? Besides, at some point, one or both of you will need to abandon the corner or else you'll run out of time. This is an age-old fighter-game tactic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.