Subject: Panzer or MBT? If only one, which? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve H.
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps this question has been posted before but I have not found it.

I am looking at both games and trying to decide which to purchase. Perhaps I'll end up with both, but only one for now.

Has MBT enhanced the system enough to choose it over Panzer?

I'd love to hear opinions on either or both games. Thanks!

Edited to add: I will be playing solo. Not sure if that would alter anyone's choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McNeely
United States
Hilo
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I just got MBT and it is a fine game. It is pretty much the same as Panzer except things are much deadlier. Don't get caught in open ground! Also I really like helicopters.

I used to have Panzer but I stupidly traded it away. I'll be picking it up again this week. Solo play is not a problem with either game and you can design your own scenarios.

Both are great games and actually fairly easy to play. I think it comes down to which era you like the best. MBT comes with modular maps while the Panzer base set only has the one big map. That might be a factor but the expansions all have the modular maps.

That probably didn't help much in aiding your decision but they both are great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H.
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
servo19 wrote:

I just got MBT and it is a fine game. It is pretty much the same as Panzer except things are much deadlier. Don't get caught in open ground! Also I really like helicopters.

I used to have Panzer but I stupidly traded it away. I'll be picking it up again this week. Solo play is not a problem with either game and you can design your own scenarios.

Both are great games and actually fairly easy to play. I think it comes down to which era you like the best. MBT comes with modular maps while the Panzer base set only has the one big map. That might be a factor but the expansions all have the modular maps.

That probably didn't help much in aiding your decision but they both are great games.

I like helicopters too! That's one thing that could swing my decision toward MBT. I think I would enjoy either era, so I'm not sure that's a factor.

How do the components compare? You mentioned the maps but have there been improvements with counters, rulebooks, etc.? Thanks for your input.

Edit: Good Lord...OCD... I had to change a period to a question mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McNeely
United States
Hilo
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The components are top notch. Nice thick counters. Only problem is that everything doesn't quite fit back in the box after putting it in trays. Since I'm buying the expansions that won't be a problem.

The rulebook is great. Very clear and concise. It is split into basic and advanced game rules. There are also optional rules for extra chrominess. You can download the rulebooks for both MBT and Panzer from GMT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I see it, it's a matter of preference as to what period you want to game: World War II or post-WWII. I personally prefer WWII, so I'm satisfied with Panzer. But if you want to game post-WWII, I'd go with MBT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H.
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
servo19 wrote:

The components are top notch. Nice thick counters. Only problem is that everything doesn't quite fit back in the box after putting it in trays. Since I'm buying the expansions that won't be a problem.

The rulebook is great. Very clear and concise. It is split into basic and advanced game rules. There are also optional rules for extra chrominess. You can download the rulebooks for both MBT and Panzer from GMT.

Never mind. Misread. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that both games were designed and originally developed decades ago. While there was some modernization in the recent re-releases, don't elect any significant evolution of the system between GMT's version of Panzer and GMT's version of MBT. The systems are nearly identical, except where the 80s require different treatment than the 40s (such as choppers). The components are also pretty much identical in quality.

As Robert states, you're better off simply going with the topic/period that interests you most. That's where the only real difference lies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Procyk
Canada
Ottawa (Orléans)
Ontario
flag msg tools
Two more considerations to think about:

1) If you are a completist (sadly the case for me) there are more expansion modules and potential for more in the Panzer system than for MBT. Currently there are two more expansion modules for the east front, one for late war northwest Europe and an early war French module on the way.

2) P500. I have learned the hard way to make sure to buy the games that I am interested in at release because if they sell out you will have to wait for them to make it back through the P500 reprint cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IDF!!!

Seriously I like how technology isn't as advanced as in MBT (first edition) and I like how the desert really rewards crack units with long range gunnery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H.
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
IDF!!!

Seriously I like how technology isn't as advanced as in MBT (first edition) and I like how the desert really rewards crack units with long range gunnery.

Thanks, but I think it will have to be one of the others. Still leaning toward MBT.

To those who have it:

I understand that some feel the hexes are too small for the counters. Do you find that to be a problem? And is the map really THAT ugly (this, according to some reviewers)? Not that a not-so-pretty map would stop me from a purchase. It wouldn't, but a good looking map is always a bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H.
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been done. MBT ordered. Unfortunately, I'm in the process of moving, so it will be a while before I get to blow things up.
But what's that saying? "All good things..."
Yeah, whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The big counters are really nice, but I do wish they were slightly smaller. They aren't 'too big' for the hexes per se. It does get a bit crowded when a bunch of vehicles are clumped near each other, though. I'm sure you will get the idea by pictures of the game in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.