Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what's on the kickstarter site, it seems like there are a number of innovations here:

1. Cards fulfil a dual purpose, and can be played as a text effect, or a prepare.
2. Battles can go back and forth, depending on how much preparation has been laid down.
3. Attrition can eat away at forces.

All of these sound both interesting (in terms of choices) and thematic.

Are there any other changes of note? Any insight into how they play out? I'm intrigued to learn more about the evolution of this system. (What next? Counter-insurgency?)

One other question - there are five main players. How well does it work at lower player counts?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary
United Kingdom
Lewes
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you only have 4 players, you could have one player take on two sides (I think it's the UK/USA and France/Italy side that gets run by one player). But like QM:WW2 playing more than one side requires a lot of extra concentration. If you did have four players, you might be best playing QM: Victory of Death.

The interesting design issue looks to be how to balance the game when one side gets 3 turns each round, and other ony gets 2. The Central Powers are going to need some mighty cards or combos to keep up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jellynut wrote:
The interesting design issue looks to be how to balance the game when one side gets 3 turns each round, and other ony gets 2. The Central Powers are going to need some mighty cards or combos to keep up.

You nailed it there! Took a while to work it out. I was surprised as to how potent I had to make the German deck to compensate. I thought I would be able to take my lessons to a Napoleonic version, but I know now that I'll have to find a different solution (or that's a lesson in itself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ania B. Ziolkowska
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
From what's on the kickstarter site, it seems like there are a number of innovations here:

1. Cards fulfil a dual purpose, and can be played as a text effect, or a prepare.
2. Battles can go back and forth, depending on how much preparation has been laid down.
3. Attrition can eat away at forces.

All of these sound both interesting (in terms of choices) and thematic.

Are there any other changes of note? Any insight into how they play out? I'm intrigued to learn more about the evolution of this system. (What next? Counter-insurgency?)

One other question - there are five main players. How well does it work at lower player counts?

Cheers!

If I remember correctly from Spiel '16 preview of the game, there are additional changes:

- Supply is only for a home base;
- I country is only able to have one figurine in the space but two friendly countries are able to be in one space at the same time;
- Scoring happens less often

It would be nice thou to have rulebook available by now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AniaZ wrote:

If I remember correctly from Spiel '16 preview of the game, there are additional changes:

- Supply is only for a home base

Correct. On the other hand, unsupplied units are not eliminated. They still defend (because defending is actually possible in QM: 1914) but can not attack. They can be supplied short term with special reinforcement cards (showing a supply crate) to withstand an attack.

AniaZ wrote:

- I country is only able to have one figurine in the space but two friendly countries are able to be in one space at the same time;

This was always the case in every QM game. In theory, all the allied powers can have one piece in a space.

AniaZ wrote:

- Scoring happens less often

Scoring happens every few turns, like in QM: Victory or death. Both sides receive points for controlled objectives. There are also cards that score points.

I REALLY like how the battle system captures the essence of the Stellungskrieg in WW1, and how the multi-purpose cards work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.