Hide
7 Posts

Star Wars: Rebellion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Death Star? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david wood
msg tools
Any ideas on how to play the game without using death stars? Any variants? The empire already has the advantage even without the death stars. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chiddicks
msg tools
The Death Star is an advantage to the Empire in the early game a and liability in the late game. Detroying a Death Star can often win the Rebels the game.

Do NOT play without it - you'll end up with a lot more Empire wins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david wood
msg tools
Any really good strategy tips when playing the rebels. Be as specific as possible. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact there is a whole huge thread about this:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1639703/opinion-death-s...

it is great that as the empire you are doing well to beat up the rebels with the DS. Now as the rebels you need to figure out how to fight it only when you want to.

This works back to the idea that the basic strategy as the empire is straight forward, and as the rebels you have to be more creative.
(ofcourse against a good rebel player, the empire will have to bring up their game as well)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david wood
msg tools
I don't care about the empire. I want strategies that help the rebels. Best leaders to use, best mission cards to use (best starting mission cards to use), best hidden base locations, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, well there are a lot of threads for that too.

Anyway as the rebels it is super important to infiltrate early and the the right moments.

The objective deck starts hard, becomes easier, and finishes off situationally, the game is only going to last 7-9 rounds, you need to be able to get the right objectives to get some points as the rebels.

Second both for the objectives and also for production and survival, you will want to gain loyalty every round.
From my experience the empire will usually allow you to gain loyalty if you are doing so with Mom Mothma, especially since they have their own agenda. Also get Utupau in the first round to get some ships on the build queue, even better if you have Mon Mothma's action card (send her there, and than an additional leader to gain loyalty to get 2x the ships)

Third don't try to attack the empire to beat them in combat. your attacks should be planned out, attack to gain an objective or help you towards one, then retreat saving your units (you will always have way less than the empire.) Retreat is super important, use it!

Defend your base, have a ground and air unit always in the system, it will save you from certain imperial missions, second don't put too many units in the base unless you know you can withstand the imperial fleet that will reach you before the game it over.

The tricky part is avoiding capture, try to be smart about it, but realize you still have to infiltrate early, and you most likely want to sabotage. consider doing both in the same place to give you more red symbols, also try to do so in systems the empire will have a harder time defending from your nearby fleet. Also realize that you can survive without a leader, so its not the end of the world, don't spend your whole turn trying to free a leader if the empire is not going to be wasting as many leaders trying to prevent you from doing the same.

Lastly be ready to rapid mobilize in time. if the empire is a step away from you and you can survive that fleet this is when you want to have a leader ready on the card. if you wait till next turn it might be too late. worst case you can either move units into your base, or you can see what the options for moving the base are. On the other hand, be careful to where you are moving it. My first loss as the rebels came when I moved when I should have stayed put.

hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmb
dwood9999 wrote:
I don't care about the empire. I want strategies that help the rebels. Best leaders to use, best mission cards to use (best starting mission cards to use), best hidden base locations, etc.

Production is most important. Sabotage, build alliance every turn. infiltration is ok if you have nothing better to do. Try to take systems far away from imperial fleets so you can get good value. Force the empire to attack your production systems and try to take them back when they spread thin.

Try to keep your forces as concentrated as possible only spread out if you are doing it for an objective or to keep the empire from producing.

the Kessel, Nal Hutta, Bothwai, Twidaria systems are generally good for holding onto for a while as they start far from empire control. But going for Utupau or Geonosis on the first turn is usually what you want to do.

use your starting fleet to try and harass the empire in a way that causes them to not have a significant presence in a part of the galaxy (preferably the one where your base is,) or to cripple their production of carriers or ground troops. Pick one of the two fronts to try and win in.

The Rebels is all about choosing your battles. You cannot fight everywhere. You only need to fight if you can win or cripple the enemy.

As for which leaders are best is really relative. They all can be good. Just check what you need at the time. Chewi is good though since he is the only one who has 3 covert ops. so you'll generally wanna go for him unless you have Madine or Han or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.