Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Hancock
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Co-op play ability was a big selling point for me with this game, so any help here would be greatly appreciated.

1. What constutes 'an attack' with a marauder attack? Clearly, the shuffle card is NOT one, but the rest can be arguable. We have been playing that the solar strike and asteroid incursion are not attacks (despite my younger son arguing that the picture looks like a ship firing on something), and the lockdown card is one (but 'lockdown' isn't an attack as much as a security measure...) The biggest problem is that if EVERY card is an attack, outside of the shuffle card, then players, in a 4 + player game, have less than four turns to collect and export all the resources before the counter reaches the skull and bones on the neutronium track, making an extremely hard game even on 'cakewalk' setting. Anyone know what the offical stance on this is?

2. When rolling the mining dice in phase one and coming up with doubles, the players do not draw a marauder card... but is that just for the player rolling the doubles, or is that for the whole round? (No one draws a marauder card until the mining dice are rolled again and come up NOT doubles?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Trash Pandas - launching on Kickstarter soon?
mbmbmbmbmb
slimeworm wrote:

1. What constutes 'an attack' with a marauder attack? Clearly, the shuffle card is NOT one, but the rest can be arguable. We have been playing that the solar strike and asteroid incursion are not attacks (despite my younger son arguing that the picture looks like a ship firing on something), and the lockdown card is one (but 'lockdown' isn't an attack as much as a security measure...) The biggest problem is that if EVERY card is an attack, outside of the shuffle card, then players, in a 4 + player game, have less than four turns to collect and export all the resources before the counter reaches the skull and bones on the neutronium track, making an extremely hard game even on 'cakewalk' setting. Anyone know what the offical stance on this is?

To clarify, all of the Therion Marauder cards, except Calm Before The Storm (shuffle), are considered Attack cards. The game does feel more difficult with more players, but the overall number of workers placed and resolved compared to the number of attacks is essentially the same with different player counts. The more players you have, the fewer times you will be rolling the Mining Dice so that can reduce the possible die result variety throughout the game.

With more players, you can spread out more to defend the areas before they are hit, but the Neutronium track is more likely to end the game than by having Stations destroyed. This is also true because more players will have more total starting money so that they can make repairs as needed. However, that money is also spent on gaining Crew and expanding cargo spaces. With more players, it is critical that all players work in unison to mine and export as quickly and efficiently as possible. With newer players, I'd recommend playing with two or three players for the first cooperative games. That said, your feedback is greatly appreciated!

slimeworm wrote:

2. When rolling the mining dice in phase one and coming up with doubles, the players do not draw a marauder card... but is that just for the player rolling the doubles, or is that for the whole round? (No one draws a marauder card until the mining dice are rolled again and come up NOT doubles?)

Good question. With the current rules, the bonus of not drawing a card only affects the first card that would be drawn that round.

To give a little behind-the-scenes perspective, the co-op game was created during the Kickstarter as a stretch goal and went through several different variants. The main idea stayed the same and seemed to click well, but there were a few different approaches to how the Neutronium track was handled. Based on the feedback here and from others, I'd like to re-visit that and take a closer look at some of the other variants to see if we can optimize it a bit. I don't know what might come of that, but once that is hashed out we may be able to post an updated variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
When rolling the mining dice in phase one and coming up with doubles, the players do not draw a marauder card

Wait, rolling doubles in the Neutronium Crisis variant should let you put the Neutronium track back of 1 step, right?

The rule you mentioned is the for standard game in my understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Drugo81 wrote:
Quote:
When rolling the mining dice in phase one and coming up with doubles, the players do not draw a marauder card

Wait, rolling doubles in the Neutronium Crisis variant should let you put the Neutronium track back of 1 step, right?

The rule you mentioned is the for standard game in my understanding.

Correct, in the current version of the coop game, rolling doubles has two effects: not drawing the next Marauder card and also moving the Neutronium track back 1 step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Correct, in the current version of the coop game, rolling doubles has two effects: not drawing the next Marauder card and also moving the Neutronium track back 1 step.

I see! Is there an updated rulebook or FAQ which lists the current rules? Cause the main rulebook only mentions to move the Neutronium track back 1 step (or maybe I missed something in the rulebook..).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book mentions that a card is not drawn when doubles are rolled in the beginning of the coop section, but it doesn't clarify exactly what that means.

Here is an updated (official) FAQ that may help: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/140984/faq-drv-frequently-...

A variant for the coop version is in process, but needs a bit more development before it is finalized. This variant gives players more control over moving the Neutronium track backwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Danke!

Looking forward to hearing more about the variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.