5 Posts

Tobruk: Tank Battles in North Africa 1942» Forums » General

Subject: Tobruk Scenarios 1, 2 and 3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Schultz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Four showed (Dave C., Brian M., Joe Ch., Ryan S.) and completed three scenarios from Tobruk (Avalon Hill edition). It was a very fun day of play covering the 1942 desert battles. The first match with Joe and Dave was scenario one's Grants taking on Mk III's and Mk IV's. It was a close run thing with the Grant's eaking out a victory with just a few operational tanks left on both sides at game end. Wonderful carnage all across the map. Given careful British play this one is hard on the Germans though it still seems to be a close affair every time.

While this was going on, I played Brain in scenario 2, an all infantry action with one German and one Italian company trying to dislodge a British infantry company set up behind minefields and fortifications. Advancing under fire in open desert terrain is a fearsome and deadly thing, especially against a dug in foe. In our match the Italians, much like Confederate General Pickett, managed to enter the fortification network but were pushed back after two valiant but failed melee battles. This one is hard on the Germans and Ities as the British firepower increases exponentially as you close in. Lots of eliminated units were created in the last few hexes of the charge. There are however lots of nuances and tricks to try out in this scenario before calling the balance.

All four of us teamed up after lunch to play the much larger scenario 3 an Italian armor force followed by German tanks which must pass through a British infantry force stiffened by three early war AT guns and some AT rifles. This one ended in a British win, taking out enough Italian tankettes by mid-game to secure a win. This one is also worth more play to try out several different British defensive arrangements matched by a variety of German and Italian attack options. Any game that leaves me wanting to immediately try it again gets a 5 star rating in my book. For me, this is what gaming is all about!

I am having a blast working through the scenarios in presented order matched by the programmed instruction rule method which was the norm for Avalon Hill of this period. Brian, Joe and Dave are all determined and clever opponents so each match is tense and exciting. I use Critical Hit's upgraded large counters from their Tobruk Deprogrammed version on a equally large tan hex play matt to replace the smallish Avalon Hill equivalents. This makes for a more visually appealing battle and provides clarity of positions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me throw this thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to see this on the table - my first war game. Brings back lots of fond memories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Clinton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Great game that begs to be played with 15-20mm minis on a sand table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave Prasse
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I started down the 12mm road .... then , I thought , why not 54mm/1:32 ?

Life knocked the idea into he tank ditch ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Stearns
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first games of this were in 1/285th Micro Armour from GHQ 40 years ago. We used the table that was used for WWII HO scale mini tanks (6'x12'). The scenarios I recall the most covered the Crusader Battles in November of 1941, although I do recall a few games played on a much smaller table using either scenario 1 or 4 during the Gazala Battles.

- Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.