3 Posts

Pandemic» Forums » General

Subject: Pandemic / OTB Storage Solution -- 3D Printed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
I wasn't satisfied with the storage solution that is included with On The Brink, since it only allows for 3 stacks of unsleeved cards. I sleeve all my cards (to protect and so I can add custom printed cards, etc.).

So I took the ruler and calipers and did some measurements and came up with the following solution. I wrote the SCAD code and made the three separate STL files from that.. then printed on my Wanhao Duplicator I3 V2 3D printer. The three models: "upper quadrant" (print two of these), "lower quadrant" (print two of these), and the "disease cube tray" (print four of these).

The disease cube trays (the two upper blue ones, have stick on cupboard feet to keep them from sliding around on the table next to the board -- does a very nice job and the trays are pleasant to use).

Note: the bioterrorist pad is too thick so I tore off about 3 sheets from the pad, and store those three sheets underneath the quadrants. (In case I ever want to try that variation -- which I doubt I will but who knows.. I'll store the larger bulky bioterrorist pad in the file cabinet at home... going to re-purpose the OTB box for another game since it's such a nice heavy duty box).

See the following thingiverse.com url for more details, including link to free download if you have a 3D printer and want to print it.

http://www.thingiverse.com/JenniferG/designs

Got my plastic filament at a discount.. 1 kg of the blue for $10.99 including free shipping. I used about 1/2 of the roll for these 8 pieces. So it cost me about $5.50 to print this insert.. took a few days to print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work!

boardgamegeekess wrote:
I wasn't satisfied with the storage solution that is included with On The Brink, since it only allows for 3 stacks of unsleeved cards. I sleeve all my cards (to protect and so I can add custom printed cards, etc.).

I was in the same boat. For my solution I took some scissors and cut out the portion of the insert where the cards where supposed to go, I put the cards in tuck boxes (I used one of those tuck box generator websites) and everything fits nice and snug. I still use the petri dishes etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
Looks pretty sweet! More and more I'm thinking I need a 3-D printer, since I obsessively sleeve my cards with FFG sleeves and they rarely ever fit in the game box inserts. Not to mention the fact that they're slippery and stacks are always collapsing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.