Hide
7 Posts

Risk Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question on Tax areas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Flannery
msg tools
Sorry but new to risk. I have read the rules but in a rush to on-box and play with son may not have taken in all the finer detail and graphic example does not cover this scenario. I think my question is a general risk one not just for the Europe version.

If I have a kingdom that stretches across water (sea) with troops either side of the dotted line. So a continuous set of territories with line of supply and no disputed territories. For tax collection does that constitute one tax area?

An example here is if I occupy Paris and London plus in between can that be one tax area or is the sea a natural boundary that splits them into two?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a single taxable area. Treat territories with dotted lines connecting them overseas as adjacent in (nearly) all cases. The only time you don't, from memory, is that you can't attack with a siege weapon over water (which is a different action to moving a siege engine in to attack).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, when you Tax, you choose one undisputed city territory you control and gain the tax value for it and all other undisputed city territories you control connected to it by supply line, including over sea crossings.

Risk Europe is the only version of Risk with this mechanic, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
pflan21 wrote:
Sorry but new to risk. I have read the rules but in a rush to on-box and play with son may not have taken in all the finer detail and graphic example does not cover this scenario. I think my question is a general risk one not just for the Europe version.

If I have a kingdom that stretches across water (sea) with troops either side of the dotted line. So a continuous set of territories with line of supply and no disputed territories. For tax collection does that constitute one tax area?

An example here is if I occupy Paris and London plus in between can that be one tax area or is the sea a natural boundary that splits them into two?

Thanks.

Off the top of my head I don't think you can tax more than one capital city at a time. In your example you would be able to tax London plus all adjacent occupied territories, including those connected by sea, except for Paris. Or vice versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, that's not right. If London and Paris are connected, you can certainly get tax revenue from both at the same time, but you'd have to declare which you're taxing, for the purposes of the city bonus. You'd only get one of those, of course - either the London bonus (I think it's four archers?) or the Paris bonus (something to do with cavalry?).

Apologies if they're not both tax bonuses. I know that not all the city bonuses relate to taxing, but you get the idea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
No, that's not right. If London and Paris are connected, you can certainly get tax revenue from both at the same time, but you'd have to declare which you're taxing, for the purposes of the city bonus. You'd only get one of those, of course - either the London bonus (I think it's four archers?) or the Paris bonus (something to do with cavalry?).

Apologies if they're not both tax bonuses. I know that not all the city bonuses relate to taxing, but you get the idea...

Well.. I went and looked up the rule book and we both may be wrong. Page 22 states; " Multiple tax bonuses may occur at the same time during your turn if the cities are under your control and connected to each other when you tax."

So, according to this rule it is possible to get the tax bonus for London, Paris and Madrid all in the same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there you go. Definitely something I'll have to keep in mind for the next time I play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.