GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,383 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Balancing abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Spencer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on a game that has cards with 8 abilities.

The game is played with each player receiving a hand of 5 of these cards. I just wanted to get peoples thoughts on whether they'd prefer;

- each player having a set of the same starting abilities with additional cards either drafted of drawn.

- a randomly shuffled and dealt hand of cards, which may result in some duplicate cards

Would love to know what you think

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Rozz
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always a fan of having a set of the same starting cards, with additional cards being drawn or drafted. Adds some variety to the opening moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rozz wrote:
Adds some variety to the opening moves.

Not compared to the alternative on offer!

I'm not sure there's an intelligent way to answer this question without more familiarity with the game, but I would generally expect fixed starting abilities if there are balance issues with random, and otherwise would expect random to make set-up easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More than likely, I'd go for the same setup, but it also depends on the type of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the starting abilities option more, especially if you get to pick your hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broadbent
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
Rozz wrote:
Adds some variety to the opening moves.

Not compared to the alternative on offer!

I'm not sure there's an intelligent way to answer this question without more familiarity with the game, but I would generally expect fixed starting abilities if there are balance issues with random, and otherwise would expect random to make set-up easier.

This.

#1 don't break the game.
#2 make set up as quick and intuitive as you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Agree with Jeremy and Warren, very much depends on the kind of game, and the experience you want.

It may also very much affect balance, so you may just need to test both options. If one random hand of cards frequently comes out "better" than all others in a way that ruins the fun, don't do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spencer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the insight everyone. More playtesting required I think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bruno
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah your play testing should tell you want you need to know.
gut feeling, what you choose will depend on how unequal your abilities are. if some are strong and other weak. then a random draw could leave some at a major advantage/handicap

If the abilities are roughly equal strength and duplicates are not a problem then random draw may be a simple solution.
If they vary in usefulness I'd maybe look at drafting, or some kind of purchasing/bidding system

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Armstrong
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always go with the increasingly popular "play with this set of cards the first time, and then shuffle and deal randomly once you've grasped how the game plays" rule. Best of both worlds!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.