Subject: Is it board gaming you love, or specific board games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recent experiences make me feel I'm not that much a fan of board games in general (by which I mean playing most games), or of playing them in general (by which I mean playing them with just anyone).

I'm a huge fan of some 50 or so different board games and their expansions, and there are probably somewhere between 100-200 more games that could join that list. These are generally not the most popular board games, either according to new players or experienced players.
The only exception is deckbuilders, where I love the majority of games. In every other genre, it's definitely the tiny minority which I love (if any).

And I very much enjoy playing with some particular gaming partners, and with my friends. Playing with strangers (or friends of friends), on the other hand... is apparently not really my cup of tea.
This would explain why I haven't really enjoyed group gaming events and the small conventions we've had here in Israel as much as I did playing head to head with my gaming partner and friends.
Though it's also worth noting I prefer 2 player games to multiplayer games in general, since that bias clearly has an effect here.

This makes me feel like more of an exception in this landscape called BGG. That's okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is this applies to almost everyone that posts here. People will like certain kinds of games (Worker placement, deck-builders) and despise others (dexterity). There will be ones that hate some of the "sacred cows" (Carcassone) but enjoy others (Ticket to Ride) and vice versa. There will be those that prefer two-player games and others that like large player counts. (Lost Cities, Resistance).
You can include rules complexity, theme, length of time to play, and more to this list. I can't see anyone just saying "I'll only play these 25 ever again". New games come out faster than websites like the Dice Tower can keep up with and it's their full time job! I'm always curious about the latest crop. Whether I'm going to buy/play them or not is another story.
Peoples collections usually continue to expand or they replace games they haven't played in awhile with newer ones.
This doesn't mean you have to go out and start snapping up games but I wouldn't not try new ones provided they're among your interests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's actually quite an interesting question

For me it's a bit of both, I guess. Mind you, I've only been properly in the hobby for a year or two, even though I've dabbled in board games for a decade or so. I love playing my favorites, trying to figure out how to get better with the same people. But I also love reading and learning about new games, trying out new stuff and finding out what could be new favorites
And then, of course, there's the vast treasure trove of 'the classics' to discover. I only discovered Age of Steam and El Grande quite recently, but they're 14 and 21 years old! There are so many fantastic games out there already that I haven't played yet. Maaaaan, it's exciting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
United States
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a preference in a particular hobby, I think, does not remove you from the group. I also have hobbies that I only do with certain people, or even some that I do alone. Not sharing my hobby with others is just my preference in that case.

You can think of board gaming as a Venn diagram rather than as a matter of in or out. Of course, this is all abstract so if you didn't want to be associated with board gamers, that's yet another way of going about with it.

I do see what you mean about being a minority in BGG. A lot of gamers seem to just want to play as many games as possible whether they like them or not, and that's ok too. We all have preferences.
meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
As I said in the "Nah, I'm Out...." thread, I don't game for the sake of gaming. I game because I enjoy playing certain types of games.

I don't have a problem playing a game I enjoy with strangers, as long as they are playing because they enjoy the game (or at least want to see if it is a game they will enjoy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milis
United Kingdom
Cranham
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello Melody and all,

I love the fact a lot of board games are a great escape from normal life and are like windows into the past (my collection of wargames) and can immerse you into a totally different world. I play a lot of solo games usually down to limited time and having a young family. But this will change as they get older.

The games I own are defiantly games I love playing. I am also grateful for BGG for all of the info/reviews on every other game out there, as it is staggering how much variety there is and have highlighted new games to me which I would never have known about, that I would like to get and the others that I have no interest in.

Regarding playing with strangers, you are defiantly faced with their personalities/idiosyncrasies and how they like to play games which may be very different from yours. But there are countless other gamers out there yet to be met who you might have a good laugh with? Keep trying I'd suggest?

It is nice to win but I feel more these days about having fun and enjoying the journey of the game. My little boy beat me at x wing and it was a fabulous game for us both. The laughs I've had with my mate and our boys playing Doom. Me being the overloard hatching plans for them in a fun way. And seeing my minions being wiped out!

Anyway, nice to chat. Have fun out there and wish you all well!

Regards,

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After collecting ~150 games, I can confidently say that I like boardgaming, and that the activity of playing with friends is the most important for me, the particular games themselves being just the medium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love boardgaming more than a particular board game. There are a few games that I would rather play than anything else, but most times I would prefer to learn a new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
I vastly prefer playing with friends. I've played a few games with strangers and felt awkward the whole time, particularly when those games were played in cathedral-like silence.

While there are specific gsmes that I really enjoy, perhaps my favorite thing is playing a new game and seeing how everything comes together and 'discovering' the mechanisms and strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chris,

I agree that BGG is a fantastic resource, but this brings another example to mind, as I'm so much of a self study that recommendations and suggestions never meet the mark for me. I'm almost never suggested something I haven't read about before, and I generally already have a strong opinion about whether I'd like to play/own it or not.

I'm excited to play board games: The ones I've already bought, and the ones that I'm considering buying. With the right people, I'll even be happy to give a go to many of the numerous social party games that I know I'll never want to play a second time. Other ones? No. So I feel like a bad sport if I attend a gaming group, even when they share some of my tastes, because I'm not gonna impose my selections on the group, that'd just be rude... but playing those 'other' games (the majority of games in existence, including the majority of the ones that are popular) feels a waste of my time.

I'm moving to a different city in a couple of months, and I saw that there's a few gaming groups there. My first question to those: What games do you play?
This feels (and probably is) very antisocial.

Fortunately, I make friends rather easily, and I'm sure I'll meet more gamers with similar tastes, but I'll still be missing out on a big chunk of this hobby. Take the convention scene you've got around Essen Spiel, BGGCon, and Gencon for example: Even if I was offered to go to them all expenses paid, I'd prefer to stay home and play my own collection with a close friend. How many of you can say the same?

By the way, if I'm giving the impression that I'm strongly bothered by this, it's the wrong impression. I just thought it'd be an interesting discussion to have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am getting to the point where I am more of a fan of certain types of games than board games in general. I would still say I am a fan of board games, though. But I am getting less and less interested in learning new games, especially the complex bloated messes that have been released as of late. I would much rather play a game I already know and enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. P. P.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was a kid, I loved Monopoly, and Hotel, and playing Crazy Eights with my grandmother, and playing Yahtzee with my Dad.
Nowadays none of those games are on my list of favourites, having long been replaced by a large variety of others. I think I love board gaming more than I do specific games, although obviously there are some I like more than others and some I wouldn't want to play at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Giant_Monster wrote:
As I said in the "Nah, I'm Out...." thread, I don't game for the sake of gaming. I game because I enjoy playing certain types of games.

I don't have a problem playing a game I enjoy with strangers, as long as they are playing because they enjoy the game (or at least want to see if it is a game they will enjoy).

I have come to realize that this describes me too. I have thinned my collection and stopped going to one of the larger local meetups that plays mostly euros. I was 'reprimanded' at the last meetup (1 year ago) I went to for declining to join a few point salad euros....was I a snob? No, I am willing to play with strangers...but I don't like playing games for the sake of playing games. If it is not a style of game that I enjoy, I would rather go for a 4 hour bike ride, or read a book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
I am sure there are "generalists", who would jump in to play any kind of boardgame, because they are really excited about the gaming aspect or the fun about exploring a new game mechanics.

But I think most people will have a preference for one or more genres and / or gaming types (fantasy / science-fiction / historic etc).Personally, I enjoy hex-based war games in historic and science-fiction settings.

Regarding the friend aspect; it's always nice to share a hobby with a friend. However, depending on the boardgame-niche you're in, it is not always easy to find friends who share the same style of games. In that case you need to broaden your gaming contacts and reach out a bit if you don't want to play solitaire. Solitaire games can be fun as well, but I think boardgaming is a social activity that develops its full strategic potential with a real, human opponent.

I guess it depends like with most things in life...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Kruger
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love learning new games, but I mostly enjoy the hobby for the face-to-face interaction. I have tried a few online board games and I find the experience to be much less satisfying than playing the physical board game, even when my friends are playing the online version with me.

At 853 games rated and climbing, I'm continually amazed at how fun and original the games are with each new release, as well as old games that are new to me. You'd be amazed how fun the game of showing cows at the county fair was, especially for four city-boys that never lived on a farm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Argiro
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you're an exception at all! As with any medium (Music, art, movies, etc), board games with have a vary varied opinion of likes / dislikes between each of us.

My girlfriend and I moved to a new city 2 years ago and tried out a meetup for board games with strangers. That's when I realized, it wasn't so much the experience of playing the game, but more the social interaction which was completely missing in a group of strangers. We made up a lame excuse and bailed after 1 game.

We were lucky enough to have a good friend in our new city who introduced us to other like minded people to play games with. While we do have a great group now, without a mutual friend, I'm not sure we'd be playing any games outside of Solo and 2-player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Melody303 wrote:

I'm excited to play board games: The ones I've already bought, and the ones that I'm considering buying. With the right people, I'll even be happy to give a go to many of the numerous social party games that I know I'll never want to play a second time. Other ones? No. So I feel like a bad sport if I attend a gaming group, even when they share some of my tastes, because I'm not gonna impose my selections on the group, that'd just be rude... but playing those 'other' games (the majority of games in existence, including the majority of the ones that are popular) feels a waste of my time.

Seems to be a bit of a conflict here. You don't want to impose your selections on a group. [Which means what exactly? This is what I want to play, period?] Then you say you'll only play games from your collection or perhaps another's copy. Everything else is a "waste of time"? You must have learned those games you do have at some point.
I must be missing something here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm only 2 years into hobbyist gaming, but so far out of the 100ish games I've played, I'll only decline one or two.

That being said, my main game-buying friend tends to buy similar games to me. The group has never tried wargames, or 4.0+ heavy Euros (Terra Mystica or Dominant Species perhaps being the highest weight).

I'm sure over time there will be certain styles I gravitate towards (or away from), but overall I definitely am in the "I like and will play most games" camp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like most games and will try pretty much any new one. I like playing with most people too. I really enjoy going to game conventions and playing games with complete strangers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been board gaming for about 50 years now and still going strong so my love is for board gaming although over the years I have become particularly attached to certain games and themes. Above all else I prefer conflict simulations and within that parameter my first love is operational games. I am willing to play almost anything for the social interaction although there are some game types that I have just never been able to embrace like some others (deck building games come to mind) I am a game collector as well as a game player so that has had a certain influence with regards to my approach to the hobby. But all in all I guess if I hadn't become a "Board Gamer" then maybe I wouldn't have stayed in the hobby based on a particular great game or theme. Just my 1/2 cent worth of thought
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely love gaming in general. I think my ratings demonstrate this. There are very few games that I think are so bad I never want to play them again. Most of my ratings are in the 6.5 - 7.5 range. I will rarely refuse to play a game if someone suggests it. I may prefer a different game, but I can usually find at least a small nugget of enjoyment in just about any game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I love board gaming in general but especially the games that I like. I like the comradery of group play because I have lots of brothers and a large playing group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure whether I'm very like you, or very different!

I love trying new games. I will play almost anything once.

But it's mostly for the goal of finding those few games I'll love. If I've played a game and thought it was just okay, I'd probably rather not play it again just for the sake of having something to play. (Except that being flexible when my friends are really excited about playing some game is a good way to repay their patience in playing games I'm excited about.)

Similarly, I often dread playing with people I don't know... unless I have some reason to think I'm meeting people I'll be happy to game with in the future. And I'll sit through lots of so-so gaming to meet someone awesome.

But if I had to choose between playing King Of Tokyo or Mission: Red Planet (to name two games I find good but not great) with random gamers I'm never going to see again, or to go get ice cream with a friend, I'd choose the latter.

Still, the thrill of the chase has kept me playing lots of bad games in the hope of discovery. If all I cared about was gaming quality I would stick to the good games I've already found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A3RKev wrote:
Melody303 wrote:

Seems to be a bit of a conflict here. You don't want to impose your selections on a group. [Which means what exactly? This is what I want to play, period?]

Pretty much. Imposing my selections means just that. An insistence that we only play games from my hypothetical "approved list"

A3RKev wrote:
Then you say you'll only play games from your collection or perhaps another's copy. Everything else is a "waste of time"?

You might have missed the "The ones I've already bought, and the ones that I'm considering buying. With the right people, I'll even be happy to give a go to many of the numerous social party games that I know I'll never want to play a second time." part?

A3RKev wrote:
You must have learned those games you do have at some point.
I must be missing something here.

I've learned the basics of the games I have and the ones I'm interested in from watching video reviews, mainly.
There haven't been cases where I played a game I wasn't interested in beforehand, and then wanted to play again or buy. In all cases where I wasn't interested in a game in advance of playing it, I wasn't interested in it afterwards either.
There have been a few cases where I got to play a game I was interested in before deciding whether to buy or not, and those informed my decision, but mostly I've relied on videos to decide.

I'm not sure if that clarifies it for you or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.