Subject: Strange idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I admit it. I play about with some strange ideas at times. When it comes to anything comparative for example be it a study of politics, of languages, or of religion, I tend to think of representing each of the types of objects being studied as a mathematical set with elements suited to the subject.

Let imagine someone were to take that approach to comparative religion. What would a mathematical model of religions (defined as sets of elements which people call religions) look like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't follow. Are you speaking of names of religions, aspects shared by *all* religions, or aslects possessed by *any* religions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico mcflico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
What would a mathematical model of religions (defined as sets of elements which people call religions) look like?

#DIV/0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
I don't follow. Are you speaking of names of religions, aspects shared by *all* religions, or aslects possessed by *any* religions?
It would be modelling each religion as a set with algebraic and possibly topological aspects and then compatring them.

For example, one might have a set representing the texts of the religion, a set of operations which apply to those texts generating possible accepted interpretations of those text and another set of operations which describe practical applications. This would be only a part of the representation of the religion but is treated as a set of ordered triplets could form an algebraic structure. One could then compare the algebraic structures of these types of subsets of religions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
It would be modelling each religion as a set with algebraic and possibly topological aspects and then compatring them.

For example, one might have a set representing the texts of the religion, a set of operations which apply to those texts generating possible accepted interpretations of those text and another set of operations which describe practical applications. This would be only a part of the representation of the religion but is treated as a set of ordered triplets could form an algebraic structure. One could then compare the algebraic structures of these types of subsets of religions.

It is interesting, but interpretive dissagreements might render it useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I hope this isn't the first step down a road of attempting to explain the world through Kabbalistic numerology that ends with Moshe resorting to DIY trepanning in order to maintain his sanity in the light of unfathomable truths about the nature of G-d.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138704/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No numbers, just math.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hari Seldon, is that you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmb
Maybe start with Variables and Constants, e.g.

T = Weight per Sin
U = Longevity
V = Bad Deeds
W = Good Deeds
X = Afterlife
Y = Morality
Z = Direct Deity Interaction

etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Are we saying, for example, that Hinduism is a torus, while Mormonism is a parabola, and Catholicism an Abelian group? Because I feel like I need more structure to my analogizing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
Are we saying, for example, that Hinduism is a torus, while Mormonism is a parabola, and Catholicism an Abelian group? Because I feel like I need more structure to my analogizing.

Something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately on a scale of 1 through 10 of craziness , their followers all turn the starting dial up to 11.

I am willing to admit that might be a fault of the followers rather than the core ideas of the religion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

Let imagine someone were to take that approach to comparative religion. What would a mathematical model of religions (defined as sets of elements which people call religions) look like?

It would look like cultural hierarchy analogous to language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
whac3 wrote:

It would look like cultural hierarchy analogous to language.
That is one way to do it, but if you approach from certain theological tennet you could end up with something entirely different. Fro example catalogue on:

sin
virtue
afterlife
meanigfull action in life
universality
religous service (ie being a monk for life or part of life)
a godhead
multiple godheads
re-incarnation
subtance usage (peyote, shrooms, etc.)
easethisism
bla bla bla.

Can think of couple of more. That might lead to some intersting connections, for example calvinist and judaic similarity in applying to a limited number of people (the elect and jews respectively)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
I admit it. I play about with some strange ideas at times. When it comes to anything comparative for example be it a study of politics, of languages, or of religion, I tend to think of representing each of the types of objects being studied as a mathematical set with elements suited to the subject.

Please provide a trivial example so I can understand your question better.

From above I might add from an atheist perspective.

SB = Survival Benefit to Adherents
SB.WB = War Benefit to Adherents. (no fear of death, glory in battle, etc.)
RF = Reproductive Fitness to Adherents (have lots of kids)
MG = Monkey Group Benefit to Adherents (larger stable "tribe" size)
AM = Moral Ambiguity Benefit to Adherents (allows "evil" actions to non adherents which benefit adherents)
PB = Priestly Benefit. (does it provide for priest class)
PL = Plasticity. (How "adaptable" is the religion to change)

Some like the AM would be strongly beneficial in some environments but turn strongly detrimental in other environments.

Many religions with low RF beliefs fail within a few generations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of it far more abstractly:

W x I x T c R

W is the set of all sets of authoritative religious writings associated with one specific religion. I is the set of all sets of rules of interpretation associated with one specific religion. T is the set of all sets of tenets or laws (or range thereof) associated with one specific religion; each set which is an element of T is a function of elements W and I which must be associated with the same specific religion. Together, the element of T and those elements of W and I of which it is a function form an ordered triplet which is a subset of an element of set R, the set of all religions. Not all religions have sacred writings etc and so this would involve looking at a specific subsert of religons.

R would be globally disjoint because many religions are simply distinct but would include local continua for religions which incrementally transition from one to another. There's be such local continua for at least each of the five major world religions.

Operations within the set would include changes of rules of interpretation. That operation applied to any element of the set generates a new element of the same set. Then the set of ordered triplets and the operation of changes in adherents understanding of the rules of interpretation form an algebraic structure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Locust of the Apocalypse
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
loneliness + alienation + fear + despair + self-worth ÷ mockery ÷ condemnation ÷ misunderstanding × guilt × shame × failure × judgment n=y where y=hope and n=folly, love=lies, life=death, self=dark side

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

W x I x T c R

W is the set of all sets of authoritative religious writings associated with one specific religion. I is the set of all sets of rules of interpretation associated with one specific religion. T is the set of all sets of tenets or laws (or range thereof) associated with one specific religion; each set which is an element of T is a function of elements W and I which must be associated with the same specific religion. Together, the element of T and those elements of W and I of which it is a function form an ordered triplet which is a subset of an element of set R, the set of all religions. Not all religions have sacred writings etc and so this would involve looking at a specific subsert of religons.

R would be globally disjoint because many religions are simply distinct but would include local continua for religions which incrementally transition from one to another. There's be such local continua for at least each of the five major world religions.

Operations within the set would include changes of rules of interpretation. That operation applied to any element of the set generates a new element of the same set. Then the set of ordered triplets and the operation of changes in adherents understanding of the rules of interpretation form an algebraic structure.

Is I effectively infinite over believers?

Is I actually infinite over time*believers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
whac3 wrote:

W x I x T c R

Is I effectively infinite over believers?

Is I actually infinite over time*believers.
I is the set not methods of interpretation such as the 13 midot of R' Yishmael for example. Christians do have their own systems of Biblical interpretation too. S, no, this would not be individual takes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

There's is a numerical classification system for folktales, which probably would be a good scaffolding for what you want to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't watched enough Numbers to do this yet. Am interested though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

W x I x T c R

One issue you'll face (if your N gets larger), is that not all religions sacred texts have been as worked over and edited and refined as Judaism and Xtainity - you just have to look at the organization of the Koran to see that. When you get down to the religions with a few million or less followers - e.g. Druzism, Yazidism, Alawism - I'd expect their sacred texts (if they're even open to outsiders to read) to look pretty rough in comparison to the Big 5. Also, the number of theologically talented minds that have deepened the teaching of those religions will be limited. There's only so many Aquinas' or Maimonides' or Al-Ghazali's to go round, and not all religions will have had one in their history (or had the scholastic infrastructure in which they could thrive).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It'd be interesting to see where this goes. One thing that I found annoying with Joseph Campbell was there was myth comparison after myth comparison, anecdote after anecdote and it felt like never was any synthesis - was he trying to argue for Jungian archetypes? Or that there are a limited number of dramatic themes in narratives (like the folklorists)? Or that disparate cultures would arrive at similar myths to solve questions of explaining the natural world and promoting social cohesion?

But, hey, his work inspired both Star Wars and Glorantha, so I guess that makes up for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.