Subject: Bringing Out the Theme rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derrick Hibbler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I enjoy this game tremendously. It plays great, it looks great, I personally feel it's best as a 2 player game, but other than that, I love it. But I really never feel like I'm 'part of the world' or actually doing anything within the theme. I feel like I'm just playing cards a certain way to do things with resources. Does anyone else feel this way? Does anyone have any good thoughts on how to feel like I am more immersed in the actual theme of the game? One thought I had is saying the cards out loud when they are played and/or saying what they do, but not sure that will help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jodehi wrote:
OK, so I enjoy this game tremendously. It plays great, it looks great, I personally feel it's best as a 2 player game, but other than that, I love it. But I really never feel like I'm 'part of the world' or actually doing anything within the theme. I feel like I'm just playing cards a certain way to do things with resources. Does anyone else feel this way? Does anyone have any good thoughts on how to feel like I am more immersed in the actual theme of the game? One thought I had is saying the cards out loud when they are played and/or saying what they do, but not sure that will help.

Theme is always in your head. Some games just spoon-feed you more than others. 51st State is a very thematic game if you look closer. Cards have effects which make sense with what they are, contact/distance is a thematic mechanism, resources as well. Not to mention how resources go to waste, which is a fascinating concept and very thematic.

New edition of 51st State is a little less thematic than the original 51st State though, but not by much. Namely scoring was tightly tied to theme in the original, but now it's just a gathering of points.

51st State is a tableu building game that integrates theme as much as possible within the confines of these mechanisms in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carr
msg tools
mbmbmb
1) Vote for Trump

2) Wait for nukes to fly

3) Play game in new radioactive wasteland

The information about the world of Neuroshima, at least here in the states, is very limited. The Neuroshima RPG was not printed in English and Neuroshima Hex (at least the app) does not provide much more information. The Portal Games website has released various .pdfs under the Neuroshima Hex tab that has game world information.

If you play Neuroshima: Convoy (a great and underappreciated game!) you get a bit more info on the world, the Outpost, and Moloch.

If you search for Neuroshima US map, you can find a map of the US and who controls what territory. Use this to info when paying the game and the theme jumps at you that much more.

I still have a huge, huge, list of questions I would love to ask the developers, but they seem busy and I will wait for things to die down a bit before I ask them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Silva
Denmark
flag msg tools
Talking about playing in a nuclear wasteland, I thought about buying a playmat with wasteland theme. Those that usually are for miniature gaming and 2x2' or 3x3'. Thought it would bring out the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.