Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
For a couple fo days now, Dominion Intrigue has lost its rank. Completely. Any guesses as to what might be wrong?
Tx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is a new edition which no longer is a standalone game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
There is a new edition which no longer is a standalone game.

I know, but the game will still be playable standalone and there are plenty of games which have 2 editions in the top 100 alone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
For a couple fo days now, Dominion Intrigue has lost its rank. Completely. Any guesses as to what might be wrong?

It was incorrectly linked to the second edition of Dominion - as an expansion instead of a stand-alone expansion ("integrates with"). Since expansions are not ranked, this caused the system to remove the ranking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion: Intrigue (Second Edition) was just released. Unlike first edition, second edition is just an expansion, not a base game. First edition was like Intrigue plus Dominion: Base Cards, but now the base cards have been taken out.

So, Intrigue is now being treated as an expansion, without a rank, since it can no longer be played by itself, unless you buy Dominion: Base Cards. But you could play any Dominion expansion by adding the base cards.

I expect base cards will eventually change to an expansion instead of an accessory since it is now the way to play 5/6 player unless you buy a second Dominion game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Dominion: Intrigue (Second Edition) was just released. Unlike first edition, second edition is just an expansion, not a base game. First edition was like Intrigue plus Dominion: Base Cards, but now the base cards have been taken out.

So, Intrigue is now being treated as an expansion, without a rank, since it can no longer be played by itself, unless you buy Dominion: Base Cards. But you could play any Dominion expansion by adding the base cards.

I expect base cards will eventually change to an expansion instead of an accessory since it is now the way to play 5/6 player unless you buy a second Dominion game.

I have to wonder just how much 5/6p games got played. Ironically enough, probably more so now that 2nd edition has new box art, and revamped cards! wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see it played fairly often by people who have all of Dominion. A few people will start playing, then more people will see the game and want to play. The game plays fine 5/6, except for a few very slow setups that are easily avoided, so it's nice not to be limited at 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gacy
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad about it being an expansion only.

Personally, I think Intrigue should be the base game and the original Dominion should be an expansion (Dominion: Origins ?) if you had to choose since I always felt the first Dominion needed expansions to feel more fun and balanced whereas Intrigue felt balanced out of the box. I always point people to Intrigue as the first one to purchase and then branch out from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too felt that Intrigue was by far the better game of the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that as a teaching tool, Dominion was quite a bit better than Intrigue. Too many choices on the Intrigue cards for total newbies who didn't understand all the choices and would take too long making them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I've found that as a teaching tool, Dominion was quite a bit better than Intrigue. Too many choices on the Intrigue cards for total newbies who didn't understand all the choices and would take too long making them.
Which, related, was why Chancellor wasn't that good of a card to have in such a set.

amg100 wrote:

Personally, I think Intrigue should be the base game and the original Dominion should be an expansion (Dominion: Origins ?) if you had to choose since I always felt the first Dominion needed expansions to feel more fun and balanced whereas Intrigue felt balanced out of the box. I always point people to Intrigue as the first one to purchase and then branch out from there.
Or Dominion: Original, or Dominion: Pilot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
amg100 wrote:

To be fair, the main point of Dominion: Second Edition is to make the base game better. The whole idea is to make it more fun and balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:

I tend to agree with this, but...

...with Dominion: Base Cards you can make any expansion into a base game.

Prosperity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
rickert wrote:

Prosperity?

I won't teach Dominion with anything but Dominion or in a pinch Intrigue. Prosperity bends or breaks so many rules from the base game that I find it counter-productive to teach the change of rules at the same time as teaching the rules they are changing. By the same thought I believe Dark Ages, Adventures and Empires would not be good with which to teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
rickert wrote:

Prosperity?

I won't teach Dominion with anything but Dominion or in a pinch Intrigue. Prosperity bends or breaks so many rules from the base game that I find it counter-productive to teach the change of rules at the same time as teaching the rules they are changing. By the same thought I believe Dark Ages, Adventures and Empires would not be good with which to teach.
FWIW, Prosperity finally gives a reason why Treasures need to be played one by one. Granted, it never bothered me when folks just played them all at once when there wasn't such a reason to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
rickert wrote:

Prosperity?

I agree. I didn't mean to suggest Prosperity as a beginner's game, but just to suggest that Base Cards plus Prosperity would be fun; maybe more fun than with the Dominion cards diluting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
To be fair, the main point of Dominion: Second Edition is to make the base game better. The whole idea is to make it more fun and balanced.

But what is "better" and what is "fun and balanced" for someone who's never played Dominion before, is a lot different from what is "better" or what is "fun and balanced" for someone who's played a thousand games. The one is in conflict with the other, to some extent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:

But what is "better" and what is "fun and balanced" for someone who's never played Dominion before, is a lot different from what is "better" or what is "fun and balanced" for someone who's played a thousand games. The one is in conflict with the other, to some extent.
It seems like they're going more for the "lowest common denominator" approach. Experience players will likely move on to expansions, whereas for the more casual crowd, you only get one 1st impression.

That said, while I think the new cards are neat, I personally wouldn't have removed the older cards (barring limitations that there can only be 'x' Kingdom cards per set). They still have a lesson to teach, and it's really when newbies learn more and more about the game (or visit sites like here or DominionStrategy.com) that they learn that those "old cards" weren't all that cracked up to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
DaviddesJ wrote:

That's true, and well, I do what I can. I feel like the Second Editions are overall better both for new players and for experienced players, but obv. some decisions could have gone one way for one kind of player and another way for another kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.