Istanbul» Forums » Rules

Subject: Family members...am i missing something? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi,

I have just read over the rules and watched a tutorial online before i have my first game later.

I know you move your family member out of the police station when you land there and other people can 'catch' them and get a reward...

what is the point of releasing them?

i know i must be missing something, you cant move them again, so what is the benefit of them being out of the police station?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They take the action on the space you send them to, without having any encounters. This is useful if you want to take an action that's out of your range, or you want to take an action without paying someone 2, or you want to take an action that you took last turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
More Woo-Hoo Gamer reviews coming throughout 2017!
mbmbmbmbmb
The family member can go ANYWHERE and immediately take the action there. Sure, they have to be "caught" by another player before you use them again, but when you're 1-2 spaces away from the jail and 5-6 away from a resource you really need (or a gem you want to buy), they can really come in handy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We call ours, our nephew...be sure and try and send your nephew to a place where someone else will be visiting soon if you can.

If you send him to get your last wainwright and no one else needs another one, your nephew isn't going to get captured and sent back to jail so you can use him again.

He's a very handy member of the family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ok, i understand now

but Susan, are you saying you use the family member on each turn?

i was under the impression that it was a one time only action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will S
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The family member can be used again after being sent back to the police station.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingtreelo wrote:
but Susan, are you saying you use the family member on each turn?

i was under the impression that it was a one time only action?

will98683 wrote:
The family member can be used again after being sent back to the police station.

Needless to say, you must visit the police station again on another turn to use him again, and he needs to be back there after being captured by another player (or you can send him back yourself with a specific bonus card). He can be very handy to reach a far portion of the board without taking a lot of turns (specially after the expansions that increase the board size) and without breaking your current circuit.

If you time his use correctly and send him to tiles that are gonna be visited frequently by other players (like the jeweler or the mosques), then you can have him back in jail in no time and ready to run another errand.

And remember that the family member can't have encounters, so while he doesn't have to pay any penalty if there are other merchants present, after doing the tile action he cannot encounter the smuggler, the governor, or capture any other family members that happen to be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might have had the same reaction before I played, but family members are helpful and in all the games I've played, they get used quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.