Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm trying to consolidate my collection and have quite a few low cost games that I doubt I'll ever play again.. but I just can't seem to trade or sell them either. Most are pretty small footprint, ranging from the size of a deck of cards to 1/4 of a full-size box. IMO, individual game value isn't enough to justify the cost of shipping.

Other than the obvious, "send them to me..." what's should I do with them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 954378. glouie
  • 1d12 + 1d12 =
  • (1) + (4) =
  • what's the point of this Dice Roll button
  • Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:14 pm
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
glouie wrote:
I'm trying to consolidate my collection and have quite a few low cost games that I doubt I'll ever play again.. but I just can't seem to trade or sell them either. Most are pretty small footprint, ranging from the size of a deck of cards to 1/4 of a full-size box. IMO, individual game value isn't enough to justify the cost of shipping.

Other than the obvious, "send them to me..." what's should I do with them?

I tend to donate unwanted games to local places that either distribute them to families in need or sell them to help pay for other county services.

If it is a game that isn't a good fit for families, such as being too complex, I will donate it to the local game store's game library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa K.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd ask around among your friend or gaming group to see if anyone wants to take them off your hands - maybe in exchange for a drink/a meal or something if they take a lot of them.
If that's not an option, donate them to a charity shop (= contributing to a good cause) or maybe a student society or the like (since they have both limited space and limited funds to invest in a collection that still gets a lot of plays).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donate them or combine them into one larger box. There is nothing wrong with giving them away if you no longer value them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Local auctions. I have two or three game stores in the area that do auctions and many conventions do this as well. You might not get much or you might make more than you think but none the less they are gone. You could also try Half Price Books (they usually don't pay much) or even donate them to good will for tax purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pearson
England
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always donated them to Samaritans, same as non-games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Auction them in the Jack Vasel Memorial Fund Auction (which takes place annually in - help me - November?). You can make people pay for shipping if you don't want to pay for it yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some games that stay on the shelf just because I don't have a real incentive to get rid of them. They aren't worth anything. In fact, some I'd probably let go of for just the shipping cost if someone wanted it (like Carpe Astra). But hell, it probably isn't even worth the shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will often bundle a few together and use them as a white elephant gift at Christmas parties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've often thought about running a geeklist auction where all games start at $0 (buyer pays shipping) just to get rid of stuff. But I'm too lazy.

If a game's in decent shape I just donate to a charity shop (making sure it really is a charity shop -- there are lots of thrift shops near me that solicit donations but are for-profit enterprises).

If it's in rough shape, I look around BGG to see if anyone wants spare parts and then recycle the rest of the cardboard. I save any fancy bits in my trademarked "Giant Bag of Fancy Bits Too Good to Throw Out Because Someday I Might Use Them (But I Doubt It)."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy root
United States
Kingsley
Michigan
flag msg tools
Donate to a local library maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they're good but just not your thing (or, good but you have a better game for the same niche so this one isn't getting played), bring them to game nights and offer them to people. *Someone* is always just getting started and will be happy for free games, as long as those games are not secretly junk.

If they're not actually good, drop them off at Goodwill and be done with it. Life's too short, etc.

(I have plenty of games I should probably give this treatment to. But the ones I *have* gotten rid of, I've never regretted.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
I've given away most "specialty"(Munchkin and Zombies!!!) games to not very big gaming friends that enjoyed them, since they aren't likely to own them. Any other "standard"(Monopoly, Life) games that most people have I donate to the Salvation Army or similar place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools

Fire starters

Target practice

Science experiments

Mulch for flower beds

Bookends

Confetti

If it's a bad game just get rid of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Theoretically, bundle them into a pick 5 listing in a math trade. 1 Isn't worth shipping but 5 is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I give mine to charity shops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CDiablo wrote:
I've given away most "specialty"(Munchkin and Zombies!!!) games to not very big gaming friends that enjoyed them, since they aren't likely to own them. Any other "standard"(Monopoly, Life) games that most people have I donate to the Salvation Army or similar place.

I run the toy department of the local Salvation Army thrift store (called Myrorna ("The ants") in Swedish).

Hobby games come in periodically (like 1 or 2 a month maybe) and will usually sell right away, even when I price them a little higher than normal games. However, the absolute guaranteed sellers, as in, rarely make it out of my cart on to the shelf are Monopoly, Risk and Clue. Generally speaking, anything in decent shape will sell eventually. We have a pretty good turn over of games and other than some previously-popular-but-not-so-much-any-more trivia games, we rarely have anything on the shelf more than a couple of weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to find someone in my gaming group that would like it. I would rather give it away to someone who will play it than it collect dust on my self.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy them?

Pete (shrugs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A local convention collects games to donate them to kids in need. I usually unload a couple of games there each year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
They go to the crawl space in the basement. Some day my heirs will have to deal with all of the stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could donate them to your FLGS and and maybe they'd get some love at a board game night. You might even get some store credit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Trap shooting targets.

But seriously I do bundle auctions. Put them all together in an auction on here/eBay/Craigslist and someone will give you something for them. Local pick-up is even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I post on the Facebook group for our local gaming community, free to a good home.

If nobody takes them after a while, I donate them to our local brewery/bar that hosts game nights and keeps a large number of games on hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I give them to Dominos to use for their crust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.