8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Hexagon tactics game with low luck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikael Modin
Sweden
flag msg tools
I'm designing a boardgame and when a friend discovered Neuroshima Hex he said "Hey, they sort of made your game", and after playing it(and liking it, NH is good) it's similar in some ways.

- Hexagon grid
- Positioning and rotation is important
- 2-4 players
- Different factions with different units
- Fairly quick, ~30-60min
- Low level of randomness

Do you have any recommendations for other games along the same lines I could look at? Doesn't have to hit every point above but in that direction.

I'm looking for inspiration and to learn, see what they do good and what they didn't do as good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagles or Axis & Allies Miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slag!: Combat on the High Frontier is fairly obscure, but available in pdf last I checked. No different factions, but you design your own custom ships so every fleet can be different. Positioning and rotation isn't as important as Neuroshima Hex, but it still has some effect on the game.

Maybe Yashima? Play time is a little long, and there is randomness in the card decks. I haven't gotten a chance to try it out, though, to know how random it feels in practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Modin
Sweden
flag msg tools
Bwian wrote:
Slag!: Combat on the High Frontier is fairly obscure, but available in pdf last I checked. No different factions, but you design your own custom ships so every fleet can be different. Positioning and rotation isn't as important as Neuroshima Hex, but it still has some effect on the game.

Maybe Yashima? Play time is a little long, and there is randomness in the card decks. I haven't gotten a chance to try it out, though, to know how random it feels in practice.

Thanks for the tips, Yashima seems to have some interesting ideas anything else along those lines?

Slag on the other hard is a lot trickier to find a playthrough of...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Modin
Sweden
flag msg tools
Ultracheng wrote:

Good thinking, Hive is one of my favourite games. Honestly don't know why the similarities didn't occur to me... :}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Modin
Sweden
flag msg tools
GeoffreyB wrote:

Thanks! Haven't heard of either of those, will have to look them up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dutt wrote:
Thanks for the tips, Yashima seems to have some interesting ideas anything else along those lines?

Anachronism is the closest game to Yashima I can think of, but it is a poorer match for several of your criteria: square grid, combat is fairly random.

You could create a hex map based variant of BattleCon that might work well. The base game is a one-dimensional battle with two sides of 1-2 fighters, but coming up with two-dimensional rules would be straightforward. (Balance might be thrown off, but you're looking for inspiration not tournament play.) Different units all play differently, and all the uncertainty comes from simultaneous action selection.

dutt wrote:
Slag on the other hard is a lot trickier to find a playthrough of...

Tell me about it . It is a relatively cheap pdf, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.