Kelley Wolatz
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Looking for the one you think is the most fun! If it can be played in 2 -3 hours (better if 2.5 hours), with new people. I believe all are a medium weight game. I get the impression from many people that all can fall flat and even though they are medium weight, each of these has pitfalls that can stop it from being true fun. This is based on my reading many reviews and really wanting to try one of these games.

The pitfalls have stopped me from purchasing any of these games. I tried Tragedy Looper and am not a huge fan. It is ok, but I don't love it. I would love to have something in this genre that I love. I already own Sherlock Holmes, but that isn't something I would introduce to new gamers and is more of a solo game.

Is there a better (newer) game which is more fun? Looking for something that has the interactive aspect I believe necessary for a fun game which is thinky, and isn't too AP prone. Looking for something with high replay value which I think Last Night on Earth may not have. I don't like Betrayal either.

If you can't recommend any of these and have played and seen the pitfalls, I would appreciate any recommendation in your top 10 games that you feel is in the DEDUCTION genre which would have high replay value and is alot of fun. Do I just need to lighten up and go with Broom Service?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Johnny Hartman - Once in Every Life
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelleywolatz wrote:
Looking for the one you think is the most fun! If it can be played in 2 -3 hours (better if 2.5 hours), with new people. I believe all are a medium weight game. I get the impression from many people that all can fall flat and even though they are medium weight, each of these has pitfalls that can stop it from being true fun. This is based on my reading many reviews and really wanting to try one of these games.

It's not like there's one correct answer; the real question is which one would be the most fun for you. Not knowing you I wouldn't hazard a guess.

Personally, I think they are all three great games (with the qualification that the only Fury of Dracula I'll play is the original). The one I'll choose at any given moment comes down to mood and circumstance, but I'll invariably have a great deal of fun with any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, you are looking for a good deduction game? That sort of disqualifies Ghost Stories right off the bat.

As far as deduction games go, I found Letters from White Chapel to be a better deduction game than Fury of Dracula. However, I like the theme of Fury of Dracula more and enjoy get combat, particularly because the hunters become the hunted, at times.

I wouldn't go for the newer version of Fury though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gr Wr
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Fury of Dracula (third edition) and Ghost Stories, but Ghost Stories doesn't have much in common with the other two. I mention this because you said a lot about deduction games, and Ghost Stories definitely is not that. I've never played Letters from Whitechapel. I'd say Fury of Dracula is the most fun, as Ghost Stories can be frustratingly challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
I haven't played Ghost Stories, but between FoD and LfW I would say that while I personally prefer LfW, Fod probably wins in the "fun" category... though of course, that depends on what you consider fun FoD is more swingy (there are random events that can greatly benefit one side over the other), more conducive to playing with a group (the alpha-player problem is mitigated by each character having their own secret hand of cards), and there's a bit more of a baked-in story with the characters having different powers etc. LfW is more "pure" deduction and abstract, and while I haven't played with multiple people, when I'm on the detective side I'd rather play all on my own so it's a head-to-head battle (I would NOT want to do that with FoD).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all 3.

As others have said, Ghost Stories is the odd game out. Fury of Dracula and Whitechapel both have hidden movement and are 1 against many game. Ghost Stories is a full co-op, without hidden movement.

Ghost Stories is quickest at ~1 hour and almost guaranteed to be under 2 hours. Both Fury of Dracula and Whitechapel have highly variable play times, depending on how long it takes to track down Dracula/Jack. Either could occasionally go over 3 hours.

Having played Ghost Stories once with 3 players using the official rules, in the future I will only play it with exactly 4 players. While Fury of Dracula and Whitechapel both play best with max player count, they both work with fewer player

IMO Ghost Stories is the least thematic and Fury Dracula is the most thematic.

Fury of Dracula is probably the least easy for all new players. Since all games are (semi)co-ops, if a couple of players have played before, it's fairly easy for the remaining players to be newbies.

Whitechapel probably has the most potential for AP because it has the most deduction. Most of Whitechapel is spent discussing the possible paths Jack may have taken and where their detectives should go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played Ghost Stories. As far as the deduction games go, with mostly / all new people, what Whitechapel has in its favor is its relatively light rules-weight. Fury of Dracula has more bells and whistles, but also way more rules to teach.

Of course, all of those trappings may be necessary for some people to feel immersed in the setting. But honestly, I've never had a more thematic experience than a bunch of us playing a long game of Whitechapel late into the night, with the detectives alternately powered by caffeine and alcohol

That said, these kinds of games can run long, most heavily (I think) dependant on how many players there are at the table. More players, more table talk, more immersion (hopefully!), but more time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend FoD over Whitechapel; just be aware it's more 'heavy'.

I also enjoy Ghost Stories (especially with the White Moon expansion), but it's a different kind of game. It's completely co-op and quite difficult to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michaelo Brazen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd pick letters from whitechapel solely over the box art alone. Bad decisions need to be punished, and it's more harsh to completely skip on it than to buy it then shrug and say yabba dabba doo. Even if it's only over the art. Actually, no especially over that. If more people were like me, companies wouldn't feel comfortable to make covers which made their games look like a joke. I'm going to be seeing the box more each day than I am going to be playing the game, so based on that alone is good enough reason in my book. Baby powder'd Peewee Herman lookin' dracula...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mangekyo wrote:
I'd pick letters from whitechapel solely over the box art alone. Bad decisions need to be punished, and it's more harsh to completely skip on it than to buy it then shrug and say yabba dabba doo. Even if it's only over the art. Actually, no especially over that. If more people were like me, companies wouldn't feel comfortable to make covers which made their games look like a joke. I'm going to be seeing the box more each day than I am going to be playing the game, so based on that alone is good enough reason in my book. Baby powder'd Peewee Herman lookin' dracula...

Tell us how you really feel

In all seriousness, I've played all three, but the only one I still own and enjoy is Fury of Dracula. Ghost Stories is pretty abstract for a co-op (Not to mention luck plays a heavy factor). Letters From Whitechapel is fine, but didn't really hold my interest beyond the first few plays.

If you want a deduction game where you just have to find the hidden person (Or where their hideout is), get Letters From Whitechapel. If you want an easier time finding the hidden person, but also having the added objective of defeating them, Fury of Dracula is the way to go. It's a more complex game, but I don't necessarily think it's "heavy."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that there really wasn't anything to Letters from Whitechapel, found it very boring and repetitive. Ghost Stories kind of fell in the same boat after 2-3 games, and the expansion just clogged it up more. Haven't played FoD, but I didn't think the other 2 were any good. Ghost Stories also is literally 0 deduction, and Letters is pure deduction and hidden movement, with nothing else happening. Fury expands upon those mechanics with thematic cards and events, etc., (I think) and seems on paper to be the best game. Tragedy Looper is the best deduction game I've played, partly because of how unique it is.

(neither of these are deduction games):

Check out Tales of the Arabian Nights perhaps? Story-based game that I think is pure fun and quite relaxing, though not quite "gamey". Couple house rules needed typically to tie things together a bit better.

Or even Eldritch Horror. Didn't like this personally but it seems to be something you may enjoy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I think they are all three great games (with the qualification that the only Fury of Dracula I'll play is the original). The one I'll choose at any given moment comes down to mood and circumstance, but I'll invariably have a great deal of fun with any of them.

What is it you like better about the original?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley Wolatz
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I am trying to get Tales of Arabian nights in a trade, and someday hope to have it. What are the house rules you have instituted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kelleywolatz wrote:
Is there a better (newer) game which is more fun?

Since no one mentioned it yet, I want to point out the new/upcoming Last Friday. I haven't played it but it was compared to FoD and LfW a couple of times. It looks both fun and very thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FoD I most fun, but if you want it to play under 3 hrs then Dracula needs to be aggressive. He will eventually lose if he tries to hide for 6 days, it will just prolong his defeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.