United Kingdom
Crawley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
5th May 2018
badge
Guh?
mbmbmbmbmb
The investigators from the expansion are not single cast with the base but have been attached. Has anyone found an easy way to remove the character from the base? I have tried pushing them out but didn't have much luck.

I am rebasing and could just cut them off like I did with the 2nd edition investigators but would rather remove them without cutting if possible.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If they are the same as the 1e investigators (PVC figure glued to a black styrene base) you may be able to pop them off the bases by freezing them. The glue will become brittle when frozen, but the PVC will remain a little flexible.

Gentle rocking motion (I emphasise gentle, you don't want to break the figure) should weaken the glue enough to free them. The figures are held in place by very tiny pegs in the bottom of their feet that are inserted into holes in the bases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Meakings
United Kingdom
Crawley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
5th May 2018
badge
Guh?
mbmbmbmbmb
The figures are similar to first edition but now have a PVC base rather than black styrene. I tried the freezing trick but the whole model became very brittle and any force felt like it was snap so I wonder if they have changed the material slightly.

So will have to see if I can find something to dissolve the solvent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that they have changed the bases too. I guess PVC would be less expensive than styrene.

Sorry you didn't have any success with the big chill... if you are looking for a solvent, they have most likely used cyanoacrylate (super glue) adhesive. Just be careful that the solvent doesn't eat the PVC!

Have you tried wriggling the parts at room temperature? I managed to disassemble my Cthulhu Wars base game figures by applying some force on the joints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Meakings
United Kingdom
Crawley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
5th May 2018
badge
Guh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess they changed the material so that the expansion models would colour match the 2nd edition base game models

I did try to wiggle them free and it did feel like it was giving a little but the legs are just too thin and they were going to break first. This would have especially been impossible for the dog. I will look into solvents to see if any do the job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Aeneades wrote:
The investigators from the expansion are not single cast with the base but have been attached. Has anyone found an easy way to remove the character from the base? I have tried pushing them out but didn't have much luck.

I am rebasing and could just cut them off like I did with the 2nd edition investigators but would rather remove them without cutting if possible.

Thanks

I rebased all my minis and was not able to remove my 1st Ed investigators from their black bases without cutting.

But using some miniature plier cutters and an x-acto knife, I was able to remove all of them just fine.

You said you already rebased your 2nd ed figures; did you have a problem cutting the bases off or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Meakings
United Kingdom
Crawley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
5th May 2018
badge
Guh?
mbmbmbmbmb
My base game miniatures I cut off with mixed success (mostly I lost a bit of shoe depth but none of them look too bad).

I have actually been removing most of the expansion minis with a knife and for the most part they are coming away quite easy. I have a couple of miniatures which have been glued onto the base extremely well and cutting through them will be awkward, I will be able to manage but I was just hoping for a neater way of doing it.

So far I have finished 8 of the 15 miniatures (one of the expansions was missing a character and the FFG doesn't yet have the expansions listed in the customer services section so just waiting on that to request replacement).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.