Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My frustration with almost all boardgame helper apps is that source code isn't available. That means that it might be incompatible with some future OS upgrade. Or the publisher might stop supporting it, after which if some big bug is found, it can't be fixed. Plus it would be nice to be able to support platforms the publisher isn't interested in (e.g. Linux desktop), or perhaps to translate the app into other languages.

So, with that in mind, is there any hope that the source code for this will be released? If that's not practical for some reason, will the full logic of the app be released, so someone could re-implement it from scratch, if necessary?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Theriot
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, would like to see that and for those very reasons. If they decide not to release the code, I'd really hope to see a program for use on a regular computer. This would ensure much longer life of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mujtaba Walji
United Kingdom
London
Brent
flag msg tools
peakhope wrote:
My frustration with almost all boardgame helper apps is that source code isn't available. That means that it might be incompatible with some future OS upgrade. Or the publisher might stop supporting it, after which if some big bug is found, it can't be fixed. Plus it would be nice to be able to support platforms the publisher isn't interested in (e.g. Linux desktop), or perhaps to translate the app into other languages.

So, with that in mind, is there any hope that the source code for this will be released? If that's not practical for some reason, will the full logic of the app be released, so someone could re-implement it from scratch, if necessary?
Hmm... It would also provide the opportunity for custom missions, so that would be interesting. The developers have been supporting the Zombies run app for some 4 years now, so they obviously have commitment. Hopefully it means they'd continue supporting the app, but I agree, it would be great if they did, as a sort of fail-safe. (I'm thinking of Surviving High School and Cause of Death where it's impossible to get it on the app store now)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Six to Start
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Matt here - I'm the lead designer of Zombies, Run! the Board Game. I'm glad you brought this up. We know there's some concern about longevity when it comes to digitally-assisted board games, and it's something we've had in mind since we first started designing ours. We're very much committed to ensuring the game remains playable for a long time, although we're not yet certain on how we'll achieve that practically. Options include open-sourcing the app or implementing a desktop client, but we're undecided as yet on what the best way to do that will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.