Popular Tags: [View All]
James Johnson
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just made eight 12" card stands for less than $4 total. I made them for function, not form. I used cheap wood with no stain. I've never used another card stand, but I'm guessing that these are easier to use than a stand with narrow slots cut into the wood.

I wanted card holders to use with card driven war games. In these games card play occupies only a tiny fraction of game time, and yet I always want hands-free visibility to my available cards.

Materials for eight stands:
1. 2"x2"x96" pine lumber (actual size 1.5"x1.5"x96")
2. 12"x32" felt
3. 24 small wood tacks

Construction steps:
1. Cut lumber to length
2. Cut angle on one face of each 12" piece
3. Sand pieces
4. Cut felt in 4"x12" pieces
5. Fold felt and attach to wood with 3 tacks.

The hardest part is making the single angled cut. It's pretty easy if you have a table saw though. I didn't measure the angle, I just held a playing card against the saw blade (while it was unplugged!) and rotated the blade until the angle looked right.

Advantages of this design:
1. Easy to make
2. Cheap
3. Built-in table protection thanks to the felt. The felt under the tacks compresses such that the tack heads are recessed and won't rub the table.
4. Can see the entire card, unlike a slotted card holder design

Disadvantages:
1. Holds only a single row of cards. I don't mind, because I want to use this holder with games where I need to see the entire card. If there's not enough room for all my cards, I just use two holders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Did you think about putting the tack through only first layer of felt? That way you could roll it around the wood for neater storage, but still fold it under for play. Plus it would guarantee that the tacks had no chance of touching the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Johnson
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't consider it, but it might be a good idea. The only downside is that you might not be able to slide the holder around on the table without dislodging the felt and knocking the cards off.

I think your idea might be good if the holder will only be used on a smooth tabletop though.

The tacks really are indented very well and aren't an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this design a LOT. I've been playing a lot of Shadows of Brimstone and the holders I made cover up the anvil icons on the bottom of the card. These would allow us to see them easily. I might cut a slot in the top of the rack to hold cards that do not have that icon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody on BGG a long time ago suggested business card holders from office supply stores. They are transparent, cheap and work very well for things like Arkham horror, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.