Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm getting increasingly excited about the arrival of Gloomhaven and am trying to brainstorm ideas to make the game look cooler. I figure the BGG community as a whole will have better ideas than just me alone, so thought we could all contribute and I could update the main post, after each section i'll include any links that people think are worth including

Miniatures

The game comes with minis for each of the relevant character classes that will be available, and the obvious first step would be to paint them. I've been lucky enough to get a copy of the pnp with the metal minis of the first 4 so this gives you an idea of how awesome they can look:

The rulebook tells us there are 236 standees. If you WERE looking to replace all of them with minis, I commend you greatly! I've never been very good with minis so don't really know where to look. Per the PNP we've definitely got bandits (with sword and shield), archers, skeletons, big zombie things and a bandit king (likely just a normal bandit model). The big problem will be signifying "elite" status, as you don't want to double up on models. I'm not sure the best route forward on that one, but assuming a complement of approx 6 minis for each "type" we're looking at approximately 40 different things to paint and source and buy. I'll link the monster names and relevant minis if anyone can suggest any.

Terrain

The next step in suping up the game would be to look at the terrain. Having dealt with fully 3d stuff in the past, i'm not sure I'd recommend it here, and the hex grid makes it more difficult to source or less useful to make if you were doing it by hand. At 30 tiles it would be possible to make from foam, if you were skilled/ crafty.

A more interesting alternative is to look at making the overlay tiles 3d. Having a physical door you open is a nice touch as is a little table or trap on the tile that it is representing.

A lot of my stuff has come from dwarven forge, where you can get tables, treasure chests, beds, pillars etc. etc. They're pricy, but again you could buy on the secondary market, or buy and split.

The trap tiles and possibly some other stuff, I intend to get from "Twisting Catacombs" they have a neat spear trap and also some nice alternate doors. They'd obviously need painting but look really good. Only issue is they're a really small company, and still haven't finished their KS fulfilment, so I think it might be a wait.

Dwarven Forge link: http://www.dwarvenforge.com/
Twisting Catacombs link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1207385459/twisting-cat...

Gold

The gold in my mind is in two varieties, map gold and character gold. I've got a few tokens for gold i'll be putting down where enemies have dropped stuff, and then I'll be using the normal coins for when it gets picked up.

For small gold, the tokens for rewards from Myth are PERFECT. They're the same size and really high quality. They were a KS only item I fear, but I am pretty sure there are plenty of people out there with these unused, as they didn't work well in that game (much like everything else in the game!)

For character gold, I've bought the dwarven set from "Fantasy Coin" and its really nice to hold and clink together. They have a wide variety of coinage as well, so there is stuff to suit lots of tastes. Remember it looks like you'll be getting decent amounts of the stuff, some upgrades run 100s of gold pieces, but you can use the three denominations to make it quite manageable.

Fantasy coin link: http://www.fantasycoin.com/

Health, Experience and Tokens

It seems that health is tracked on a rather snazzy system through the character card, so I don't feel that there is any need to add anything there.

Experience is tracked in the same way, up to 10xp, but then its recorded with tokens. I would LOVE to replace these with rupee (think Zelda) style gems from the aforementioned Fantasy Coin website, but the cost is not cheap. A less expensive alternative would be to use glass stones, which are available in bulk from eBay/amazon etc.

Hero Tokens again look like they fit their role well, but an obvious upgrade would be to replace them with "penny gems" with enough demand they might even make a set with the relevant symbology (if Issac provided his blessing!)

As for the status tokens and summons tokens, I'm not sure they need upgrading. Especially with summons, they are designed to link up with the player board so I'm not sure you'd want to mess about with them.

Hex gem link: http://www.fantasycoin.com/A-La-Carte_c_68.html
Pennygem link: https://store.impobj.com/

Elements and the element tracker

This is an area which I feel is the most obvious pimpable item, but also the one which requires the most skill (therein lies the problem!) the element tracker is already graphically looking like wood, so the obvious improvement would be to make it out of wood properly! (You could do the turn tracker too!) I'm not sure where you could find this made however.

For the elements, I'm thinking semi precious stones or some wiccan runes or the like. Maybe even brass symbols matching the various elements. You'd need red (fire), blue (ice), black (dark), yellow (light), earth (brown/green?), air (white/light blue). You could easily get stones to match these but some other things would look even more special.

No links yet but I've seen some stuff on ebay!

Hope this is good food for thought, I just can't wait for it to arrive!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice thread. I wouldn't mind finding minis, as I hate standees. And you can just use some snap on colored bases (like blood rage) to signify elite or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Owen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I am not a mini guy, for the pure and simple reason I can't paint nor have the $ to get them done well.

I have spent probably 20+ hours with the PnP already teaching this game to everyone I know.

If I were to pimp this game there would be two ways that I see:

1. My bad guys would all be represented by flat tokens with images so I can track health on each enemy with their own die. I know the envelope is suppose to do that but I really prefer this method.

2. These enemy tokens and all other tokens for the game would be made with acrylic. That way they could be etched and painted.

Just my $.02.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
I think painted heroes against standees is ideal solution. Not only you would need to recognize elite vs. standard, however each of the enemies need to be numbered, which is not standard property of minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you'll use ministures for the enemies, you can always use the same approach as Blod Rage and slot the minis into differently colored base-rings to show their rank (eg red ring for elite enemies and so on)...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Allen
United States
White Settlement
Texas
flag msg tools
www.bobweekend.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I reached out to Reaper, sent them the link to the spoiler monster manual, nothing. Next stop Stonehaven. Needing nearly 300 miniatures, one would think a miniature company would be interested in providing a parts list. None of the monsters are new in that they look like typical monsters found in many fantasy worlds. One would think @Reaper in the vast catalog there would be reasonable approximations of the monsters in Gloomhaven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a great deal of chibi minis, because I am a sucker for chibi minis.

If I decide to go the minis route, I'll use them and allow different models to represent multiple types of monsters depending on scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Hathaway
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't suppose anyone knows where I can see a complete list of enemies? I'm hoping I can cover most the minis with the stuff from Massive Darkness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hath22 wrote:
Don't suppose anyone knows where I can see a complete list of enemies? I'm hoping I can cover most the minis with the stuff from Massive Darkness.

In the fan made scenario contest thread that Isaac held a while ago, he links to the monster spoiler page on his site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Box
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've got a big ol' box of D&D Minis. A good number of the monsters look like I can use some of them for minis, which should look good. But the art on those standees is going to be awesome, so I'm torn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Owen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Check out this thread. I believe it may have what you are looking for!

A list of Reaper minis to correlate with Gloom denizens.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/20332813#20332813
arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juuso Marttila
Finland
Jyväskylä
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't want to spoil myself about the monsters present of the game, but if someone already has done that, could they perhaps comment how big portion of the monsters can be replaced with miniatures from Conan?

My version of Conan (core box + some add-ons + stretch goals) would have at least:

Common enemies:

5 Hyenas
15 Bossonian Guards
20 Pirates
20 Pict Hunters/warriors
5 Bossonian Archers
10 Crossbowman
10 Giant Wolves
10 Tentacles
5 Guardian
5 Pict Archers
10 Mummies
10 Skeletons

Bosses (mainly monsters here, game comes with a ton of humanoid villains also usable):

Thaug + 3 Thaug Limbs
Man-ape
Bone Golem
Giant Scorpion
Forest Demon
Giant Spider
Swamp Demon
Dark Demon
Giant Snake
Thak

Might have missed some, but you get the general idea. You can see the minis here: http://conan.paintings.free.fr/?page_id=14&lang=en

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It suddenly came to me: you're probably not playing correctly if you don't have that beautiful overland map mounted to the wall next to your gaming space..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Donohue
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
using the coins from one of the many cmon games with plastic coins (albwit great idea to use the myth ones!) and treasure chests from masmorra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang it.
My wife just had me hang a mirror on the only available wall.

Wonder if I can talk her into letting me hang the map instead...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone recommend better looking standee clips?

So much about this game is amazing, but these clips are just so thick. I either have to have it sit above the clip and they hover above the ground lol, or push them down and the bottom of the artwork is blocked:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freudianslip27 wrote:

I am probably going to see if the extra bases I have from Battlestar Galactica will get the job done, since I have a bunch of extras from all the expansions.

Alternatively, Go7 Gaming sells some nice wooden ones that might be worth a look: https://go7gaming.com/product/stand-001-base-for-cardboard-f...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brighterthanthesun wrote:
freudianslip27 wrote:

I am probably going to see if the extra bases I have from Battlestar Galactica will get the job done, since I have a bunch of extras from all the expansions.

Alternatively, Go7 Gaming sells some nice wooden ones that might be worth a look: https://go7gaming.com/product/stand-001-base-for-cardboard-f...

Wow! These are fantastic!

Thank you so much for the suggestion. Have you used these? I see you have to glue them? I put miniatures together so am comfortable with this, but wanted to see if anyone tried using these for anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay regarding plastic stands, as Shannon suggested, if you happen to have Battlestar Galactica laying around, those clear stands work

Its a tight fit, but holds it well.

I looked at my games and also pulled out stands from Legends of Andor. These fit perfectly.

For now I'm going to use Battlestar's for the main (white) monsters and Andor for the elites (yellow)

Here's a pic showing these plus the original that come with the game:

I was looking around and I did find these, which I might order. I like how little the holder comes up:

http://spielpro.com/plastic-card-stand-round-25mm/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freudianslip27 wrote:
For now I'm going to use Battlestar's for the main (white) monsters and Andor for the elites (yellow)

Thanks for showing this
Do you know how thick the cardboard of Gloomhaven is and do the BSG or Andor stands damage the standees and cave little marks in the cardboard?

Does anyone know if those Andor stands can be bought separately in Germany? If yes where? They look pretty good in my opinion, those in transparent and black would be perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.