⁃ Advance

G3 4th attacks Knokke-Zur
⁃ Germans 0 hits/1 dice
⁃ Canadians 7 hits/13 dice, -3 fort & village, eliminated
⁃ No advance

Take 2-G1, 2-G2, 3-G3

German turn

G4 to strat move 1038 Brigade Eede to Breskens

Hoping to salvage at least some combat power from the Beskens pocket.

Take 2-G1, G3, G4

T11

G1 bring 104th US XX in at Antwerp

G1 to recover hits in 49th XX

G3 to move 52nd XX northeast of Rosedale

G3, G2 to attack Rosedale
⁃ Germans no markers to play
⁃ British 10 hits/18 dice, -3 city
⁃ Germans eliminate 2 units, roll 3 hits/10 dice

G3, G2 for same attack
⁃ British 7 hits/15 dice
⁃ Germans 0 hits/5 dice

Take G2, 3-G3, 3-G4

German turn

G1 to recover hits in 344th, x2

G3 move 344th to 0207

G4 move 1038th brigade across the Scheldt to Vlissingen

Take G1, G2, 2-G4

T12

British 51st withdrawn, leaving behind 3 tactical units.

G4 x 2 to move 2nd Canadian and 104th US XX's

G3, G2,G4 for 52nd XX to attack Rosendaal
⁃ Germans play G2
⁃ Germans 1 hit/5 dice
⁃ British 9 hits/19 dice, -3 city
⁃ Entire Division and HQ wiped out
⁃ Advance

G3 move 3rd Canadian to Breskens

G3 move amphibious unit to 1203

Take G1, G2, 2-G3, 3-G4

German turn

G1 recover hits 344th

G4 strat move 1039 Brigade adjacent 344th

No use for remaining G4

Take G1, G2, G3, G4

T13

G1 to add tactical units left behind by 51st to 2nd Canadian

G4 to strat move 104th to 1402

G3 to move 2nd Canadian to 1203 (West of Goes)

G3, G4 2nd Canadian attacks 667th AG brigade
⁃ Germans win roll NOT to play G2
⁃ Germans 0hits/2 dice
⁃ Canadians 10 hits/19 dice, elongated
⁃ No advance

G3, G2, G4 4th Canadian attack 344th &!Coastal Artillery in 0207
⁃ Germans play G2, G3 to add 1039th Brigade
⁃ Germans 4 hits/10 dice
⁃ Canadians 8 hits/13 dice, -4 fort, flooded

Take 2-G1, 3-G3, 2-G-4

German turn

G1 recovery in 59th XX

No play for G4

Take 3-G1, win die roll to take G4 instead of G2

PLAYER'S THOUGHTS:

1 - I badly mis-used the 51st. If that Division is on the board costing 1/2 VP per turn, it should be fighting ever turn, letting itself get worn down to the bone. If it becomes combat ineffective sooner than turn 12, withdraw it and save VP. If it's still got the capacity to absorb hits without losing units, keep fighting it.

Overall I don't think I like that optional rule (or I should say, I'd tend not to use it if it were up to me).

2 - I think I've probably wasted the chance to use the paratroops and/or the amphibious capable unit to much effect. The paras could have done a lot to keep the road to Walchern Island open, the amphib unit as well. Lesson learned.

3 - It's hard for me to imagine the commando raid begin effective, but I'm going to launch that at one point, come Hell or Highwater (decent movie, that)

4 - I think the Allied attack is likely to fail. In hindsight, I should have assigned orders to each division, making them responsible for some objective (3rd & 4th for Breskens pocket, 2nd for opening the path to Walchern, 49th for pushing North, etc.). Then I should have given each area of operation a set priority and tried to pull my chits to match that set of priorities / orders. I focused more than I probably needed to on the Breskens Pocket early on, wish I'd pushed hard to get to the Causeway sooner. At this point I think the Germans have a pretty stout defensive force on the island, so eliminating all the coastal artillery will be hard. I'll probably have to destroy the dikes and hope for the best, but making that terrain flooded makes it hard to dig out defenders from it.

5 - What use is the Polish division? Will I end up issuing a single order to them? Not understanding how they fit into the grand plan is probably a sign I'm missing something.

The good news is, I have confidence now that my daughter won't mess up the game. I've not played farther than this AAR yet, but I hope to return to it soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:

5 - What use is the Polish division? Will I end up issuing a single order to them? Not understanding how they fit into the grand plan is probably a sign I'm missing something.

For what it's worth, I didn't get a lot of use out of them either. They were of course there historically, as were the Americans, who I got more use out of... but not much more.

I'm sure Brian will have some thoughts. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:

PLAYER'S THOUGHTS:

1 - I badly mis-used the 51st. If that Division is on the board costing 1/2 VP per turn, it should be fighting ever turn, letting itself get worn down to the bone. If it becomes combat ineffective sooner than turn 12, withdraw it and save VP. If it's still got the capacity to absorb hits without losing units, keep fighting it.

Overall I don't think I like that optional rule (or I should say, I'd tend not to use it if it were up to me).

2 - I think I've probably wasted the chance to use the paratroops and/or the amphibious capable unit to much effect. The paras could have done a lot to keep the road to Walchern Island open, the amphib unit as well. Lesson learned.

3 - It's hard for me to imagine the commando raid begin effective, but I'm going to launch that at one point, come Hell or Highwater (decent movie, that)

4 - I think the Allied attack is likely to fail. In hindsight, I should have assigned orders to each division, making them responsible for some objective (3rd & 4th for Breskens pocket, 2nd for opening the path to Walchern, 49th for pushing North, etc.). Then I should have given each area of operation a set priority and tried to pull my chits to match that set of priorities / orders. I focused more than I probably needed to on the Breskens Pocket early on, wish I'd pushed hard to get to the Causeway sooner. At this point I think the Germans have a pretty stout defensive force on the island, so eliminating all the coastal artillery will be hard. I'll probably have to destroy the dikes and hope for the best, but making that terrain flooded makes it hard to dig out defenders from it.

The good news is, I have confidence now that my daughter won't mess up the game. I've not played farther than this AAR yet, but I hope to return to it soon.

1. Yes, I suppose the 51st is there to be abused, if you are going to sacrifice the VP to have it on the map at all.

2. Crerar tried and tried to get a brigade of paras to use in the operation, it would have come in handy but I guess after the failure of Arnhem only three weeks before, they were gunshy about using airborne troops (the troops would have come from the British 6th Airborne, which was badly damaged in the D-Day campaign or the unblooded US 17th Airborne; both saw action in the Battle of the Bulge, but finally dropped in Operation Varsity to cross the Rhine in February-March 1945).

3. The commando raid can save you significant time and effort. Only 3 times in the game you can use it. Like Crerar, you should probably bomb the dikes first.

4. Well, now you are starting to think like an army commander! And a good army commander uses all his assets too - for example, the amphib unit can carry a brigade and it treats flooded ground/polder like clear; use it to cut off or direct retreats. The Funnies unit reduces the enemy's terrain advantage. And so on.

5. The Polish division was part of I British Corps, covering on the right flank and clearing up around Rosendaal. They took Breda on 29 October. Remember that cities (Rosendaal, Breda and Tilburg) are worth 2 VP each to whoever occupies them at the end of the game.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.