8 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Recommend me a wargame pls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Chudarek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Hello, im looking for a wargame, but because my friend speaks very poor or basic english, i wd like a game where is not too much text, rules can b in english thats no problem, but while playing I wd need little or none knowledge or smtng he can learn fast, rules can b simple, difficůt...doesnt matter, Would prefer acient times, but can b aswell napoleonic, indian wars or wwI and wwII, simply rather wwII if itll b smoother gameplay than lot of text in ancient. It can b simply various historical wars, im not strictly focused, main is as I said the thing that my friend cd learn fast or enjoy smtng without text or with simple text which i cd translate for him on sheet, I cd help my english is solid and rules can b even difficult for me, important is gameplay, his level of english really limited but I hope ull guys help me to sort this out

Cheers and thanx in advance for suggestions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Winslow
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Julius Caesar

There are several cards (5, perhaps) that are "God Cards," where the text is important. You could easily translate these on a sheet of paper to Czech (or whatever you need). The rest of the cards are not text dependent, just numbers.

And the game's both ancients (Roman Civil War) and a lot of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would also recommend Julius Caesar, not very complex rules and the card text is really confined to the God cards mentioned above. Fun game, easily playable in an afternoon.

Since you mentioned Napoleonic era, would also recommend another Columbia block game, Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815 4th edition published 2013.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even simpler, also a block game, and you can write the text in your own language:

This is a great entry level game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One ancient game that doesn't involve cards is Ancient Battles Deluxe. This is a tactical game (individual battles) rather than a campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) get one with a theme you are both interested in.
2) cheaper games tend to be simpler in Rules.
3) older games,1960 to 1974 tend to have simpler Rules.
4) smaller games tend to have simpler rules.
5) BGG's game descriptions [and images] may include the # of pages in the rules, and give an idea of complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands & Colors: Ancients

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Miniatures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.