Subject: Best Investigators for second edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Betchart
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
Who are your picks for top investigator?

I liked Father Mateo, Jenny Barnes, and Kate Winthrop.

I feel Michael McGlenn did not have enough sanity, and cost us a game due to that. Harvey Walters was underwhelming to us as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Lindberg
Sweden
lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mcglen get focused after a monster is killed, yorick get clues, if both are on the team the kind of support each other with the killings making furteher killings easier.

these two are good in any team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I keep going back and forth on creating a "Tier List" (just for fun), but every time I decide to, I realize how situational most of their abilities are. Some of the scenarios are combat heavy, while others are investigation heavy. Some have tons of puzzles where others only have a few puzzles. Some hit you heavier with Horror and some hit you more with damage. Overall, the usefulness of each investigator really comes down to the scenario.

But I'd say there are a few that are almost always useful, regardless of which scenario you're running.

Rita Young is definitely up there as one of the best. Being able to move 3-6 spaces on your turn is massive and her overall stats are great for combat. The only stat of hers that suffers is Influence, but that's the stat that seems to be used the least. Her low Sanity threshold is definitely an anchor though.

Caroline Fern is probably my next favorite due to the usefulness of her ability (Action to flip Horror facedown or remove a Facedown horror, for you or an in-range investigator). Her paired with Rita is quite amazing, but she can fit into any game since everyone is going to be taking Horror up the wazoo.

Dexter Drake. Probably my favorite investigator theme wise, but overall, incredible strong in most situations. His high Lore makes him useful for many puzzles and he's also a great contender for combat. He is almost always Focused and is likely rolling 5 or more dice for a spell; this makes him incredibly powerful. But the downside of spells usually means damaging yourself or taking horror; again this is why it's always nice to have Caroline Fern along.

Last, I do love Ashcan Pete. He has a good stat spread and a free trade action at the beginning of his turn thanks to Duke is WAY more useful than it sounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tovey
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I second the OP's critique of Michael McGlen. Played a game last night with Sister Mary, Jenny Barnes and McGlen. It seemed like we had all our bases covered, but just couldn't keep the gangster sane. He was eliminated just a step or two behind winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We never play without Rita Young. That movement is crucial; we've won several games simply because she was able to race to the exit or MacGuffin while the rest of us held off the hordes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Guinoza
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is very simple, the investigators are so imbalanced.

1) Any investigator with free action economy (powers that don't require actions, and only including powerful ones):
-Rita
-Lambeau

2) Any investigator with high strength and will
-Rita

Rita would only be bad if an scenario required influence checks only, which there are none.

Rita is good not only in combat, but also for getting somewhere fast, which every map has some of.

Rita is good in horror checks with a high 4 will.

I seriously wonder why Rita passed balance playtesting. Or if there was any balance playtesting at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Britton
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ashcan Pete is amazing for action economy. Duke can allow for all sorts of shenanigans. Example: Jenny has the shotgun. Ashcan Pete is unarmed. Wendy has a knife. The investigators are in the same space. The shoggoth is about to kill them.

1. Ashcan Pete free trades with Jenny, giving her Duke and taking the shotgun. He attacks twice.
2. Jenny free trades, taking the shotgun from Ashcan Pete and passing Duke to Wendy. She attacks twice.
3. Wendy free trades, taking the shot gun from Jenny and passing Duke back to Ashcan Pete. She attacks twice.

And so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fre kol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Indeed - we used the house rule that Duke cannot be traded itself. That limits the free action to once per round, which is already quite good. In effect, we treated him like an Arkham Horror ally, rather than an item. So, we also ignored Duke for the purposes of the 'broken arm' damage effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK Levine
United States
Rossville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it never even occurred to us to let Duke be traded, lost, or dropped, because he's Pete's special ability. I guess it's a house rule, but I strongly recommend playing that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Curry
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelbritton wrote:
Ashcan Pete is amazing for action economy. Duke can allow for all sorts of shenanigans. Example: Jenny has the shotgun. Ashcan Pete is unarmed. Wendy has a knife. The investigators are in the same space. The shoggoth is about to kill them.

1. Ashcan Pete free trades with Jenny, giving her Duke and taking the shotgun. He attacks twice.
2. Jenny free trades, taking the shotgun from Ashcan Pete and passing Duke to Wendy. She attacks twice.
3. Wendy free trades, taking the shot gun from Jenny and passing Duke back to Ashcan Pete. She attacks twice.

And so on.

I am under the impression that this is not a legal strategy. Duke can range trade but the rules guy on here usually indicates not with multiple people. So could have taken back your shotgun from Ashcan but not also gifted Duke to Wendy in the same free action.

In either case the answer to the question is that Rita Young is the best in all scenarios but the 2 or so that heavily feature persuasion checks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fre kol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
As far as I'm aware (no rules in front of me), the trade action enables switching around items with as many investigators as you like, as long as all of them are in the same space. (Or considered to be in that space, in the case of using Duke.) In the example given, it is specified that all investigators are in the same space, enabling the interaction between 3 of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuting Yang
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Canine trading is bad, mmmkay?

But seriously, having played AH:LCG it feels weird to be passing Duke around like a normal item. The card should have said "exclusive to Ashcan Pete only" or something to that effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Curry
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baimi wrote:

Canine trading is bad, mmmkay?

But seriously, having played AH:LCG it feels weird to be passing Duke around like a normal item. The card should have said "exclusive to Ashcan Pete only" or something to that effect.

An appropriate house rule, if it doesn't say it already, is "once per phase..." and then it gives the normal effect. In other words, even if you trade Duke and even if he's on the same space as everyone else, his ability can only be used once per investigator phase.

But obviously this issue only comes
up with groups that prefer to play that way, which is their right, so not a necessary house rule to bother with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.