Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerome Quelin
France
Villeurbanne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I currently don't own Labyrinth WOT, but I'm interested in getting a copy of it, mostly to play it solo. Given that the P500 has shipped, I guess my retailer will have some quite soonish. My question is therefore: should I also grab a copy of this expansion (The awakening) at the same time?

Note: even if I buy it, I will *not* introduce new mechanisms before having a good grasp on the base game. However, the awakening brings much more than new mechanisms.

- Are the new bots really worth it? I've read that there's a new US bot, allowing to play djihadist - is it true? That would double the replayability...

- I've also read that the awakening comes with brand new scenarios... What is a scenario in Labyrinth? Does it vary the gameplay, the rules, the starting conditions? Are those scenarios playable solo? In the awakening, are those scenarios playable against both AIs?

- Can the new cards be introduced in the base game, or do they rely on new mechanisms?

- Other topics that I should be aware of, or answers to questions that I couldn't imagine given that I haven't dwelved too much in the rules. Anything that could help me answer this question: should I concentrate on the base game first, and only afterwards check the expansion (which at the time might not be available any more, but that's another question to consider - and this is my job to ponder it, not yours! laugh )

Thanks for helping me,
Jérôme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jquelin wrote:
should I also grab a copy of this expansion (The awakening) at the same time?

Yes!

jquelin wrote:
Note: even if I buy it, I will *not* introduce new mechanisms before having a good grasp on the base game.

Smart, sane approach!

jquelin wrote:
Are the new bots really worth it? I've read that there's a new US bot, allowing to play djihadist - is it true? That would double the replayability...

Yes, there's a US bot. Regarding the value of these new bots, I cannot say anything yet but that the new Jihadist bot is different.

jquelin wrote:
I've also read that the awakening comes with brand new scenarios... What is a scenario in Labyrinth? Does it vary the gameplay, the rules, the starting conditions? Are those scenarios playable solo? In the awakening, are those scenarios playable against both AIs?

Scenarios are starting setups and yes, you can play everything solo. We still cannot say if some of the new scenarios are "unbalanced", it's too early, I think

jquelin wrote:
Can the new cards be introduced in the base game

No, I'm sure you can't.

jquelin wrote:
should I concentrate on the base game first, and only afterwards check the expansion (which at the time might not be available any more, but that's another question to consider - and this is my job to ponder it, not yours! laugh )

Buy the base game and the expansion, but focus on the base game only; if later you decide it's not for you, I'm sure you will be able to sell everything without losing money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Is the Jihadist BOT play significantly different in the expansion than in the original? Does it translate to the original as well as the expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:
Interesting. Is the Jihadist BOT play significantly different in the expansion than in the original? Does it translate to the original as well as the expansion?

it's not significantly different from the original. in fact, you can use the new bots with the base game - both US and Jihadist - although I have not played the US bot yet.

And no, you cannot use the expansion cards with the base cards although there are a few carry overs from the base to the expansion. there is a campaign game (which im playing now) that has you use one deck of the base and when you're through those, you use the "Arab Spring" set up of the expansion cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HEEREN Xavier
Belgium
Liège
Lièe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have Labyrinth, not (now) the extension...

Do you think it s possible to create a US BOT for Labyrinth alone ?

I should it ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Bender
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Just a quick clarification that yes both the US and Jihadist BOTS from Awakening can be played with basic Labyrinth. This means there is now a US bot for use in basic Labyrinth as well. The BOTS work equally well with both games and contain card specific instructions (when needed) for event cards #1-120 (Labyrinth) and #121-240 (Awakening).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom R
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I never got around to learning the Jihad bot in the first edition of the game. Should i just ignore that, and use the awakening bot in the base game, or are they two completely different bots that will provide different play experiences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the expansion I would suggest going with the Awakening bots. Other than the addition of the US bot (very cool!), the flow isn't significantly different and I find the updates to be improvements over the original jihadist bot. I've played the Let's Roll scenario with the new bots with no problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Morse
msg tools
My first play of Labyrinth was only in the last couple weeks and I started with the flow chart from WOT rather than the new bots. I've been trying to get a deck in a night and really grounding the rules before adding Awakening. Switched over to the Awakening bot today and just finished Deck 1. I'm loving it. I think the addition of Jihadi reserves, the not auto-plotting on US events, and changes to radicalization add an improved dimension to the game.

My general feeling is the flowchart was very good, but the new bot is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
reemer wrote:
If you have the expansion I would suggest going with the Awakening bots. Other than the addition of the US bot (very cool!), the flow isn't significantly different and I find the updates to be improvements over the original jihadist bot. I've played the Let's Roll scenario with the new bots with no problems.

That's interesting because I played Let's Roll with the new Jihadist bot and I found it to be super passive (all it did was Recruit everything it could into Afghanistan, send Cells down to Pakistan, and try to flip it back towards Poor via Jihad) while I ran roughshod over the rest of the Muslim countries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Morse
msg tools
Turbine2k5 wrote:
reemer wrote:

That's interesting because I played Let's Roll with the new Jihadist bot and I found it to be super passive (all it did was Recruit everything it could into Afghanistan, send Cells down to Pakistan, and try to flip it back towards Poor via Jihad) while I ran roughshod over the rest of the Muslim countries.

That appears to be the opening gambit for the Jihadist bot assuming it has unplayable cards, but the radicalization with extra ops should be hammering your GWOT track. I ended up having to RC Afghanistan before I was prepared or I would have ended up using all ops for posture rolls while the bot took Pakistan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Triple9 wrote:
Turbine2k5 wrote:
reemer wrote:

That appears to be the opening gambit for the Jihadist bot assuming it has unplayable cards, but the radicalization with extra ops should be hammering your GWOT track. I ended up having to RC Afghanistan before I was prepared or I would have ended up using all ops for posture rolls while the bot took Pakistan.

Well I may have been lucky with the GWOT rolls, as I never had a negative GWOT rating once. But if all that's required is to keep GWOT out of the red and to flip Pakistan to Good 1 ASAP, I think I'm going to crank it up a notch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.