Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Pugh
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Looking for some advice on my table setup. First, some pics:

I live in a small apartment and I needed something that I can store easily. So I have a 72" x 30" folding table which is certainly long enough, but always feels a bit restrictive width-wise with bigger games. Today I went out and had some medium-density fibreboard (MDF) cut. I was going to go for one big board and place it on top of my table, but the larger pieces were too thick. So I had two thinner pieces cut to 37" x 37", which are slighter larger than my 36" x 36" playmats but I wanted to make sure there was absolutely no overhang. So I now essentially have a 74" x 37" playing area, which I'm really happy with.

The only downside is I'm worried the MDF will move around while playing. It might not, because the pieces are quite heavy, but I've already nudged them out of place by bumping into them while walking by the table. I'm wondering if anyone has a similar setup to this and could recommend ways to keep it in place. Keep in mind that I don't want to permanently modify anything; I always want to be able to tear this down so that I can use the mdf boards only when I absolutely need them.

Thanks for any input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
go buy the no-slip pads the put under area rugs to keep them from sliding around..

https://www.amazon.com/Extra-Strong-Thick-Padding-Quality/dp...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glouie wrote:
go buy the no-slip pads the put under area rugs to keep them from sliding around..

https://www.amazon.com/Extra-Strong-Thick-Padding-Quality/dp...

This stuff can also be found at most big box stores. I know it as "shelf liner"

It's incredible stuff. Ridiculous friction. Nothing it touches moves laterally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Swanson
msg tools
Are you opposed to having small screw holes drilled into the MDF and the folding table?

In general, when you're actually playing a game on the table, it's going to get bumped a lot, and you'll want to keep it as stable as possible to prevent pieces from moving and players getting irritated

You could attach the MDF to the table with small screws; the cover you have pictured would cover the upper screw holes while you played. As long as you're okay with a few small (but permanent) holes in the folding table itself, it wouldn't require a lot of work. I'll post more specific info if you're interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.