Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a sweeping generalization, they are similar games played at different levels. Schotten Totten (and Battleline) has brief tactical skirmishes played out in only three card per side. Each skirmish is scored immediately. Lost Cities has longer strategic battles played up to 13 cards per side. Each battle is only scored at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Benanav
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Schotten Totten to have a lot more tension. There's also a neat thing where even if you don't have a complete set of cards down yet, if you can prove your opponent can't beat what you've got you win the point immediately - so there's an interesting thing where you can sometimes screw yourself over in the long run just to claim a point in the short run. Fun risk management involved. I like Lost Cities, but I really really love this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line/Schotten Totten has more to consider and is more challenging to play well. I also think Battle Line/Schotten Totten offers more ways to mitigate card draws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are similarities, but they are indeed nonetheless quite different. FWIW my wife and I own and have logged over 100 plays of Schotten Totten, which she is often the one who proposes playing it, but she was unimpressed by Lost Cities when we played it a few times almost a decade ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheesechick wrote:
There's also a neat thing where even if you don't have a complete set of cards down yet, if you can prove your opponent can't beat what you've got you win the point immediately.

I thought you still had to have the completed formation on your side?

From the rules

Quote:
On his turn and before drawing his card from the deck, a player may claim one or more
Flags. In order to do so, he must have a completed formation of three cards on his side of
the Flag, and he must be able to prove that Troop cards on the opponent's side of the Flag
cannot beat this formation.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbelcher wrote:
Cheesechick wrote:
There's also a neat thing where even if you don't have a complete set of cards down yet, if you can prove your opponent can't beat what you've got you win the point immediately.

I thought you still had to have the completed formation on your side?

From the rules

Quote:
On his turn and before drawing his card from the deck, a player may claim one or more
Flags. In order to do so, he must have a completed formation of three cards on his side of
the Flag, and he must be able to prove that Troop cards on the opponent's side of the Flag
cannot beat this formation.

Cheers!

Yes, the losing side does not have to have a complete formation. The one who wins a flag must have a completed formation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
There are similarities, but they are indeed nonetheless quite different. FWIW my wife and I own and have logged over 100 plays of Schotten Totten, which she is often the one who proposes playing it, but she was unimpressed by Lost Cities when we played it a few times almost a decade ago.

My girlfriend loves lost cities.. worried this would be too close.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lewisville
TX
flag msg tools
They definitely have some similarities. However, Schotten Totten is a bit more strategic and more reminiscent of Poker. Lost Cities has a nice artistic feel and is a bit less cutthroat, but still uses some of the same strategy. They're both very good games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.