BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Selecting areas on a grid rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm noodling around with a game idea, but I'm a bit stuck with how to place people on a grid.

I have a grid of squares 5 wide, by 4 high. The player can place 'staff' areas in certain squares. So, for example, maybe four squares (4/1 to 5/2) are 'staff' and can't have 'customers' in them. What's the best way to populate the remaining grid?

I tried 2d6, but it was taking about 15 rolls to get about 6 customers placed. Due to either a result being in a staff area, or an area already having a customer in it.

Using 2d6 is a valid method, but I reckon a player would get a bit annoyed after six 2d6 rolls. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could draw cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Do you want an equal probability for each of the twenty space or is it okay or even desirable for some spaces to be more "staffed" than others?

You could number your twenty spaces and then roll a d20.

Cards are a *great* solution because you can add some art, use any probability scheme you want, and add special events, etc. The downside is that you have to create a set of cards.

Note that with dice you can keep rolling the same space over and over, giving you more than one staff in one space. With a deck of cards once you've drawn a card you won't draw it again until you reshuffle. Either of those could be better or worse in your particular situation.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

Do you want an equal probability for each of the twenty space or is it okay or even desirable for some spaces to be more "staffed" than others?

You could number your twenty spaces and then roll a d20.

Cards are a *great* solution because you can add some art, use any probability scheme you want, and add special events, etc. The downside is that you have to create a set of cards.

Note that with dice you can keep rolling the same space over and over, giving you more than one staff in one space. With a deck of cards once you've drawn a card you won't draw it again until you reshuffle. Either of those could be better or worse in your particular situation.

Good luck!

Sorry, probably my bad explanation, but the problem is that when the player is populating the grid I don't want them to do anything with the staff area. So out of 20 squares on the grid a group of, say, 5 would not be available to put customers on. It's to populate the area of 5x4 with customers, but NOT in the staff squares.

Regarding cards, I'm thinking of using multi-use cards anyway for certain events that might crop up. I suppose I could get the player to remove the cards that are staff areas then pull cards for customers. Yeah. That might work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ronnietucker wrote:
I suppose I could get the player to remove the cards that are staff areas then pull cards for customers. Yeah. That might work.

You don't have to get them to remove the cards beforehand, just draw cards until they have drawn 6 customers cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Another good idea would be to have cards that are giving an option for the player to put something on that grid depending on the position of the stuff that is already placed there.

Like '' 2 spaces diagonally from the current occupied space'' with the little image with directions and number of spaces. And if he still can't put something because the board is crowded, player can draw next card, until he get one that will allow him to place on board whatever he needs to place there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Another idea would be to roll 2 dice but instead of looking at the total have 1 be column and 1 be row (so a d4 and d6).

You would still run into the issue of hitting an invalid roll (staff area or area you've already rolled) but you could easily come up with rules for when that happens:

1. Roll d4, d6. Place person in row x column y
2. If that space is already occupied, place it one row higher
3. If that space is Staff, place it in the first open row in that column,

etc.

Cards are also a good idea, especially if you have use for them at another time in the game: just remove the cards that are Staff or occupied and go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wowbagger44 wrote:
Another idea would be to roll 2 dice but instead of looking at the total have 1 be column and 1 be row (so a d4 and d6).

You would still run into the issue of hitting an invalid roll (staff area or area you've already rolled) but you could easily come up with rules for when that happens:

1. Roll d4, d6. Place person in row x column y
2. If that space is already occupied, place it one row higher
3. If that space is Staff, place it in the first open row in that column,

etc.

Cards are also a good idea, especially if you have use for them at another time in the game: just remove the cards that are Staff or occupied and go.

Yeah 2d6 for grid references is what I'm using at the moment. But I like your idea of saying something like go up/down/left/right to the nearest valid square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah if you make it 6x4 instead of 5x4, you can roll a d6 and a d4 where one is the column and one is the row. And then if the customer lands next to another customer they catch on fire. If the customer lands on the staff area, they trigger an explosion.

Oops, wrong game

You can do things with dice or algorithms, but I think cards are probably going to be the quickest method. You just draw 6 cards and put the customers on those spaces. You can play with probability (maybe you do have a few copies of some of the rooms in the deck, such as making it more likely for customers to enter through the front door) and you can keep drawing if a position is invalid without slowing things down too much. And with only 20 spaces, even if you put 2 of each location in the deck, 40 cards isn't too expensive. Especially if you make them multipurpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
what if you created a rule that if the customer falls onto a sqaure that already has either a staff or another customer, that new customer always gets placed on one of the neighboring squares that shares the borders with the already taken square. In a situation where there are multiple empty squares are bordering the filled up square you could make a special condition such as place the new customer on the square with the lowest or highest number. So basically it would be a rule that would automate the placement of a customer instead of rerolling until the player gets an empty square. You could even go as far as imagining your grid to connect to itself on the edges so if there is staff in the upper right corner and you rolled a customer to go there you now have a square to the left of the staffed one, a square directly below, and a square in the top left corner as well as a bottom right corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.