Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to get into the game a while back, and start a Mercenary army, but I seem to remember when I was going to do it, that I would have had to buy a supplement. Does the new Remix fix that, compile all the information, or would I still have to buy one of the supplements. I may be completely off base there also, so if I am, let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don King
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It compiles a lot of the information, dealing with Merc contracts and such, but there are still a lot of Merc models detailed in Superiority which would be a good purchase.... between the new Remix and Superiority you have 95% of the merc models covered..

However, Remix is worth the purchase for a variety of other reasons.
The rules are updated and tighter.
They have an estensive FAQ.
The fluff is well done.
The whole book is in colour.
The rules for Cav and Trample and 2-Handed throw are in it.
And it is at a very reasonable cost.

Getting back into Warmachine, having Remix is almost invaluable, just for the rules and FAQ work alone.

TTFN
Don King

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
I play Magnus, and have Remix. I looked at Superiority but didn't feel the need to buy it. All that unit fluff doesn't do much for me, and the stats are on the cards that come with the figs.
PP forums are pretty good source of info, if you need specific info on a unit/solo/jack etc just ask over there.

FWIW, the Magnus box, an extra Renegade and a unit of Trenchers is an easy way to start Mercs at 500 pts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I am still in the decision phase at the moment, but that helps my decision. I am really interested in the game, and I will start an army at some point, I just have to find the point where I can get some opponents

Thanks for the info.

PS: Thanks for the specific info on the Mercs too. I knew they came with cards, so I didn't know how much I needed rules wise. For the record, I'm not a fluff guy. I played Warhammer for years (still do) and I STILL detest the huge book of a third rules, the rest a bunch of scenery and background info. Just not my style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me give you a little warning:

Get your Mercs and Remix - after you've got a couple of games under your belt, you'll be wanting Escalation, Apotheosis, and Superiority and as many Merc figures you can get your hands on. You'll also be tempted to pick up a Hordes book and faction as well.

Privateer Press is really onto something big with their games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crusader4x wrote:
Let me give you a little warning:

Get your Mercs and Remix - after you've got a couple of games under your belt, you'll be wanting Escalation, Apotheosis, and Superiority and as many Merc figures you can get your hands on. You'll also be tempted to pick up a Hordes book and faction as well.

Privateer Press is really onto something big with their games.

Yeah, I am afraid thats what will happen (not really AFRAID, I just need to find an opponent before I can let myself get that deep, and my friends are all just getting back into Warhammer. I need to get them to at least TRY a starter box. I KNOW they will like it, its just bridging the gap thats the problem.

I don't see myself doing Hordes stuff, however. I really juts dont like the models, or the theme as much as the Steampunk of Iron Kingdoms, but thats just preference. I would probably end up getting the other books also. I just wish I had a local shop that sold the stuff, the only shops I have are the GW store in the mall, and Go! Toys and games, but it just sells boardgames, not really miniatures and stuff. I have an aversion to ordering online (if I can avoid it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weapon wrote:
Nice VS avatar, to start off Thats the set that got me hooked on VS (Green Lanterns, I still love my Glock deck)

That's funny because I'm just a HUGE GL fan and have NEVER played VS.

Have you tried the store finder at the Privateer Press website to see if there is a FLGS that carries Warmachine stuff? It'll be very difficult to get others to play this great game if they aren't able to actually see the models and how it plays.

Here's a link to the store finder in Texas - http://www.privateerpress.com/company/?x=help/customer/store...

Good luck and remember, "Play like you have a pair!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crusader4x wrote:
Weapon wrote:
Nice VS avatar, to start off Thats the set that got me hooked on VS (Green Lanterns, I still love my Glock deck)

That's funny because I'm just a HUGE GL fan and have NEVER played VS.

Have you tried the store finder at the Privateer Press website to see if there is a FLGS that carries Warmachine stuff? It'll be very difficult to get others to play this great game if they aren't able to actually see the models and how it plays.

Here's a link to the store finder in Texas - http://www.privateerpress.com/company/?x=help/customer/store...

Good luck and remember, "Play like you have a pair!"

Ah, thats a similar artwork to a card in VS, thought you may play. Yeah, I used the store finder a while back, but no dice. I don't actually HAVE an FLGS, the closest stores would be the ones I mentioned, 45 minutes away. Sucks to be me, but my friends are pretty good about ordering online and stuff. They are savvy gamers, like myself, but just don't come to BGG, so we're not talking a bunch of guys that can't be persuaded by some views from Thoughthammer or something. Its just getting them to invest that first part.

No sooner do I post this, that I see a Katy store on there. The mall I go to is in Katy, but I don't think I've actually ventured that far into Katy, may need to check it out. But, they will also be asking full retail for the starters......I may have to pass on that. Not willing to pay 49.99 or whatever it is now for those battlegroups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, looks like I won't be getting to that store anyway "All the fun stuff has closed its doors Permanently". Oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.