Peter Csuka
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, if I am in the right forum, but I'm sure you will help me out

I was wondering the last few days: How did I end up on Boardgamegeek.com ?
Was it a link, which redirected meg here or just a google search for some board game sites? Since BGG is not a website know by every human being on earth, so I guess there are some certain ways to end up here. It is usually not mentioned in any rulebook or publisher website. It almost feels like an insider tip for gamers. For myself, I honestly don't remember anymore how I got here d10-2 years ago, but I would love to hear your stories!

Please share with us, how you found this amazing site!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think I first stumbled into BGG while doing a web search for errata, addenda, or corrections to the rules for Junta.

I lurked for a while, primarily using the site to find information about rules, until I began to notice how often how often I had information or answers that would help other people; I became a member in that time and began to contribute where and when I could.

Before I discovered BGG, it never occurred to me that an old and odd gentleman with a house full of games would be of much interest to anyone, so it's been a real joy to share both enthusiasm and information here.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I discovered all the great games that are available, I was heavily into sports games like Strat-O-Matic, APBA, Dynasty League, Replay, etc. I was searching online for sports games (especially lesser-known games that I might want to buy). I stumbled upon BGG and was amazed by the number of games and images in the database. My usage of the site was very narrow (I mostly ignored everything except sports games). Eventually, I snapped out of my trance and noticed all the other great stuff in here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd been somewhat away from board gaming for a while. Some friends asked if I ever tried "Settlers of Catan. Nope, never heard of it. They said they'd set up a time to teach it to me and my wife. After a few months of not playing Catan I went to several sites most of which were BGG and read the rules, reviews, FAQs, watched videos, purchased the game and began concentrating on the strategy tips. Eventually the four of us got to play. It was over fast and I won. Since they (and I) wanted a rematch I didn't point out that the 3 "Monopoly" cards in their deck are only used in the 5-6 player game (during the break I quietly removed all of the extra cards).

I lurked for a while, looking up other games that my wife (non-gamer) might play. Eventually, I got active in the BGG community and other forums. Later, I found my way to similar forums in RPGG and VGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Many years back, I was vaguely aware of the boom in German games (although I did not know them by that name). I saw them listed in a mail-order catalogue from Australia's premier supplier. Eventually I wondered enough about them to start looking them up (this coincided with a renewed interest in some old games that members of our group had played long ago, such as Space Crusade, HeroQuest, Samurai, and Civilisation, and a slight move away from roleplaying and MTG, along with the independant discovery of Twilight Imperium), and guess where Google led me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmbmbmb
I was on the Yahoo group Spielfrieks, or it might have been R.G.B, when one day Scott came on and said, hey come check out this boardgame Database I'm throwing together....I thought, sure, I'll check it out....It was aiight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:

I think I first stumbled into BGG while doing a web search for errata, addenda, or corrections to the rules for Junta.

I lurked for a while, primarily using the site to find information about rules, until I began to notice how often how often I had information or answers that would help other people; I became a member in that time and began to contribute where and when I could.

Before I discovered BGG, it never occurred to me that an old and odd gentleman with a house full of games would be of much interest to anyone, so it's been a real joy to share both enthusiasm and information here.

meeple

Agreed. I can't remember how I stumbled upon the excellent BGG. Needless to say, it's a great boardgaming community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb

Perusing the magazine section at Barnes & Noble one day in 2003
I came across a Games Magazine article by Skip Maloney
about the newly released Puerto Rico.

The article also mentioned the online site BGG
which caught my attention.

Thank you, Skip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pariah
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Before I discovered all the great games that are available, I was heavily into sports games like Strat-O-Matic, APBA, Dynasty League, Replay, etc. I was searching online for sports games (especially lesser-known games that I might want to buy). I stumbled upon BGG and was amazed by the number of games and images in the database. My usage of the site was very narrow (I mostly ignored everything except sports games). Eventually, I snapped out of my trance and noticed all the other great stuff in here.

I started out as a sports gamer too (although, I'd discovered El Grande, etc. before the Geek existed) ... but, there's a LOT of times I miss sports gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I think the site was a day or two old when I got on, via rec.games.board or something. It was late at night and I was in the lab running one of my looong electron spin resonance experiments, so I had lots of time to kill. It has killed lots of time over the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ace hawkster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi really good post, I found it I think one day whilst reading reviews by either drakes flame (such a shame this guy stopped) or by reviews by Josh, I'm sure there was a link to here, and I've been here ever since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Csuka
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are great stories! Thank you all, keep them coming

How many have you influenced? Did you try to make bgg popular?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A fellow geek mentioned BGG as a source for handouts and the like. I checked it out, got totally confused by the homepage, downloaded some files and left again.
I'd returned later to download more files. And again. Then I got annoyed by those captchas and registered.

Later yet, my interest in wargames got rekindled. I browsed the geek to check what's out there, enjoyed the warm welcome of the wargame subforum community, found some people to play games with via Vassal and the rest is history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably saw a reference to it on Usenet's rec.games.board - bookmarked it - then a bit later in 2002 I needed a rules translation or player aid or something for which you needed to be registered, so I did but didn't participate in the forums - computer crash, password gone and in need of another file I registered again, now with an underscore in my name. Started to participate a bit, then a bit more, then a whole lot more and here we are today. My only regret is that I can't post all of this with my original account with userid #188.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Probably saw a reference to it on Usenet's rec.games.board - bookmarked it - then a bit later in 2002 I needed a rules translation or player aid or something for which you needed to be registered, so I did but didn't participate in the forums - computer crash, password gone and in need of another file I registered again, now with an underscore in my name. Started to participate a bit, then a bit more, then a whole lot more and here we are today. My only regret is that I can't post all of this with my original account with userid #188.

Ahhhh. Rec.games.board. I reckon that's where I first learnt about modern board games, around 1997, maybe 1998. But I couldn't get into them until a decade later because there was nowhere within hundreds of miles for me to look at them, let alone buy them. What a fascinating mystery they were at that time. The mystery is long gone, but the fascination is still going strong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Ahhhh. Rec.games.board. I reckon that's where I first learnt about modern board games, around 1997, maybe 1998. But I couldn't get into them until a decade later because there was nowhere within hundreds of miles for me to look at them, let alone buy them. What a fascinating mystery they were at that time. The mystery is long gone, but the fascination is still going strong

There were always gameshops around here but the ultimate shopping trip was going to Essen, so in that timeframe I made my first trip to Spiel - overwhelming doesn't even come close to describing that first time - I wonder how first-timers react to it today when it's at least triple the size of what it was back then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Csuka
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

maybe you could ask one of the admins for a merge of the two accounts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kelley
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules checks and game research, which lead to forum lurking, which lead to 'oh wow . . . I can track gameplays on here!' which lead to sign up.

Pretty much, if you google a game, one of the first links that come up is the BGG entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sometime in 2003 or 2004 I became aware of a "new" game called Settlers of Catan. They were calling it a "German" game. They were saying it was unlike anything I had ever played before. They were saying it would open my eyes to what board games really had to offer. Or something like that. At any ratie, it sounded cool and I thought I would enjoy trying it out. But time passed, as time usually does, and I more or less forgot about it. Until one day in the fall of 2004 my wife mentioned to me that a couple who we attended church with wanted to know if we were interested in coming to their home and playing this new game called "Settlers of Catan". "Deal me in," I told her.

The appointed evening arrived and we found ourselves playing Settlers- er, Catan- at their house. I loved it. I wanted my own copy. So I went online and started looking for a site I could buy it from. I ended up purchasing Settlers and Cities & Knights- with their respective 5-6 player extensions, Carcassone- with two expansions, Runebound, Dungeoneer, Sid Meyer's Civilization and Alhambra from a site who's name I no longer remember. What I do remember very clearly about that site is that on nearly every game page they had links to reviews here on BGG, as well as (IIRC) the game's BGG ranking. Once I started clicking through to those reviews I was hooked on BGG. But I had never created an account on an internet forum before, so the idea of signing up for one was a bit foreign to me. Thus, I remained a very active lurker until 2010, when I finally felt the urge to contribute to the conversation.

It's been a great ride. My only regret is that I can no longer remember where I first heard about Settlers of Catan. Probably on the internet somewhere. But I just don't know for sure. I wish I could go back and relive that first encounter and see what it was that initially attracted me to it. Alas, that memory is most likely lost forever in the mists of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been on and off BGG on occasion, when I would accidently click on the link that brought me to the confusing game pages (little did I know they would only get worse lol), but I finally signed up for my account to download a fan expansion for Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some years ago, I was searching online for copy of PanzerBlitz to replace the one I and my husband had played many years before. One link was to BGG, and clicking on it, in the blink of an eye, in a second, I was transported to this whole new world of designer and hobby board-games that would transform our lives in very special ways.

I felt like a kid who discovered a new candy store in town, one that had every goodie made from the world over, and I spent much time perusing the endless displays of "treats and confectionery", lurking, and then finally signing up and supporting this ship to the incredible world of board-games.

Video Game Geek and RPG Geek followed shortly after....and I did end up getting a very good copy of PanzerBlitz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lesco
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was sent here by clicking a link at www.grognard.com. After this I was away from BGG for some time and only recently it happened again and now I am a daily visitor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Well, back in the very latter 'fortnight'-portion of December 2003, then 'moi' WON 1st Place in some "Reviews Writing Contest" of which Tom Vasel even participated, as HE finished 3rd for that! They've HATE 'moi' since evermore! >sauron-quoth the 'C`raven':~"FOREVERMORE!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Rangel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife passed away when my daughter was 9. Wanting to make sure we kept our relationship strong and keep lines of communication open, I decided that we should play a game together at least every week. Started searching for games best with 2 players and found BGG. Started using the site to just research possible games and rules. Now a member and have purchased games through auctions, marketplace, and recommendations. My daughter is now 13 and we still play a game a week unless homework interferes and I am on BGG regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl krelle
msg tools
was at a friends place, his adult daughter was sorting & boxing some of her old games to give her stepbrother for xmas, which led to a discussion about some of the games owned "back in the day" which then led to a web search for some of those games, which led to a market search for same, geekmarket link, registration to send questions about games, & been here almost daily ever since, viewing/researching games, checking out stuff I'd never heard of that seems interesting & cursing friends daughter for re-igniting games addiction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.