GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,806 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: T.O.A.S.T. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
Welcome, to Tactical Operations Against Super Terrorists!

T.O.A.S.T. is a special group of heroes based off some of my friends and my brothers. Starting as a joke one night (Random Super Power Generator), we all figured out what super powers we would really like. So once I discovered LegEdit, the first thing I did was try and make us to add to the game.
I considered posting this before. Especially when I was trying to balance them better, but never got around to it. But after seeing Doctor Nightmare share his awesome set: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1643201/team-heroes-marvel-... (Seriously, check it out. It's pretty awesome.), I figured "Why not?" I'd still love your guys opinions on them! I've play-tested some of them quite a bit, so they've been tweaked from their first versions.

Oh, and everyone picked out their own hero's name and image. As well as helped with their Hero (giving back story or strategy they liked/wanted). Just so you know haha.

So we'll start with my first Custom Hero and my favorite!

Blizzard
Blizzard is my girlfriend's Hero. She has the ability to slow down and even freeze time momentarily. I decided to simulate this by having cards that are "set aside" to represent her phasing in and out of time. Spider-Man is also her favorite hero, so like each member of T.O.A.S.T., Blizzard belongs to an additional team: Spider-Friends! And to work better with the Spider-Man set, all her cards shrink to 2<COST> after being recruited.

Labyrinth
Labyrinth is my younger brother's hero. He works kinda like a Hero for Hire protection agent. Specifically, he likes to offer services for protecting mutants after his brothers and himself where attacked (believed to have been mutants when their powers first showed up). Now how does he protect others? His power is Projection. From solid walls to illusions, Labyrinth can have you running in circles chasing the wrong target.

Scorch
Scorch is my older brother. His powers consist of Psychometry (by touching an object, he can learn about its history including visions from what occurred around it) and Pyrokinesis (Can manipulate fire. He can't create it tho) He uses his powers as a detective, even lending a hand to S.H.E.I.L.D. His story involves a mysterious lighter he found that revealed a sinister plot that got its original owner killed and his journey to uncover the truth.

Now for my best friend's hero and his GF's hero. I made this for their anniversery (They are big Legendary fans)

Shadowolfz
A hunter, he was trained among werewolves. Learning to survive them and the humans/others who hunted them. Although, it helps when you know how to Teleport. After his pack is killed by the Bloodstone family, he eventually interacts with the others and the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Flowerz
Flowerz can communicate with plants as well as shine a light that can revive and strengthen things that use photosynthesis. But it can take a lot out of her. She joins SHadowolfz on his adventures.

Hope you guys get a kick out of them! And thanks in advance for any help, comments, and critics!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha fun idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Petit
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice, some of those look ultra powerful but we're making these customs to have fun, aren't we? And those schemes and masterminds get a lot more difficult as time goes by...
Thanks by the way for the good words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
Doctor Nightmare wrote:
Very nice, some of those look ultra powerful but we're making these customs to have fun, aren't we? And those schemes and masterminds get a lot more difficult as time goes by...
Thanks by the way for the good words.

You are more than welcome! Which ones look ultra powerful? I do want to balance them to be fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didn't look at all of them, but I did notice a teleporting 2-cost with 2 Recruit? In a Spider-Man-style deck? Maybe one recruit. Rule of thumb: Figure one point of cost for each attack or recruit point, and then at least one more for a special ability. More than this and you're going to need a malus like discarding a card or returning cards from your hand to your deck or gaining a wound (off the top of my head these are worth 1 cost, 1 cost per card returned, and 2 cost respectively.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
TheUbiquitous wrote:
Didn't look at all of them, but I did notice a teleporting 2-cost with 2 Recruit? In a Spider-Man-style deck? Maybe one recruit. Rule of thumb: Figure one point of cost for each attack or recruit point, and then at least one more for a special ability. More than this and you're going to need a malus like discarding a card or returning cards from your hand to your deck or gaining a wound (off the top of my head these are worth 1 cost, 1 cost per card returned, and 2 cost respectively.)

I knew someone would probably mention that card haha. Believe me, I compared to nightcrawler's 2* 3cost. I chose to keep it at 2 for these reasons:
One: it becomes a more sought after card. This makes it harder to use the second common when everyone is buying the first one when they can. Originally the second common had a Blue trigger for gaining attack, but that made it too hard to set off.
2: the 2* also makes it harder to teleport. You won't lose any sleep constantly teleporting a 1*. But 2* makes it more tempting to recruit that turn, instead of teleporting it. Especially when you get more.
Three: I also wanted a natural 2cost. As well as I made it around the time Spider-Gwen was revealed to have a 2# 2cost with possible draw. (I believe Silk has a similar) and a lot of times, cards with attack gain an additional 1cost compared to recruit versions (see Iceman vs Captain Marvel or Nightcrawler's two commons). Nightcrawler alone is enough argument for bumping up to 3 cost, but in my humble opinion, he's not that great. I'll keep play testing it! But so far 2cost hasn't been an issue. Now the rare having only a blue/green trigger has been. So I'll need to double the trigger at least.

Thanks for your feedback I'm really curious if you'd have a suggestion that would keep it 2 cost? Maybe a force teleport of another card to play it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick note. "Forever Like That" for Blizzard. Take another turn after this one is waaaaay to powerful. Just in general you wouldn't reasonably have this effect on a card, unless it worked only once per game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Forsyth
Il
flag msg tools
mbmb
jhochges wrote:
Quick note. "Forever Like That" for Blizzard. Take another turn after this one is waaaaay to powerful. Just in general you wouldn't reasonably have this effect on a card, unless it worked only once per game.

Well, to be fair, I only had the Time Gem villain to get a vibe on taking extra turns haha. I'm actually glad I have the new Deadpool rare to use as a reference.

Updated both Blizzard's first common and her rare!!!!
Thanks everyone for the feedback!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redlion64 wrote:
jhochges wrote:

Well, to be fair, I only had the Time Gem villain to get a vibe on taking extra turns haha. I'm actually glad I have the new Deadpool rare to use as a reference.

Updated both Blizzard's first common and her rare!!!!
Thanks everyone for the feedback!!!

Yeah, Deadpool's new rare does help put it in perspective. I could see a Blizzard/Spider-Man deck looping like nobody's business otherwise.

Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.