Subject: Any expansions on the horizon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't exactly say I'm hungry for a paperback expansion. I feel like I haven't even tapped into what the base game has to offer-- and 8 plays in I still feel far away from 'mastering' it or even having a great strategy.

Still, I thought it might be fun to brainstorm some different ideas for expansions. I know a 6p variant has been floated -- I would love to see that as an official expansion. I'd also like to see variable starting decks -- maybe one with more valuable letters but fewer wildcards. Obviously that would need a lot of testing, but still fun to try.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's the need/the room/the potential for an expansion. Why?
- obviously, you can't invent new letters (that's where Paperback differs from Dominion)
- the base game already includes several "modules": Attack Cards, Player Powers, Theme Cards, Award Cards, Discount Cubes (Think of those 5 modules as the first expansion included in the base game.)

One could, however, of course come up with some new variants:
- different start cards (maybe just replace the blank letters by the same letter with an ability)
- more players: take two sets to double the number of players (perhaps some adjustments to be made)
- Bilingual-pro-variant: mix and match two (or more) sets of different languages and play allowing words of two (or more) languages. (Strategic thoughts: you could for example focus on one language by only buying letters suitable to that one, or you can go for both, etc.)
(see this thread for languages other than English: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1185567)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birder
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread asking about an expansion Tim said a small expansion soon. That was in June so I'm not sure when soon is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.