Subject: Roving vs Mauraduers, hogging export slots, and gear vs captain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerold Wallis

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roving vs Mauraduers
If a mining spot (eg spot 10) is under attack by maurauders, and you are on 12 with a roving option, can you still rove into spot 10 with no shields?

Hogging export slots
If you have only 2 things to export, can you still place a worker on the "export 3" spot to claim it (and export the 2 you have, but prevent anyone else from exporting 3)?

If you have nothing to export, can you still claim an export slot?

Gear vs captain
If you place the captain on a gear, what is the effect for:
rough imaging +/-3:apply once or twice to same mining die? Apply once to two different mining dice? Or either?
precision imaging +/1: same as above?
vortex drill: optionally flip more than one die?
Rover: move one worker drilling two spaces over? or move two workers one space? Or either?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on answers to my recent delegate question and the rulebook:

1. Roving vs Marauders: Probably can't rove. You resolve marauders before players. You don't even get a chance to rove until after the attack. Edit: To avoid confusion, I got the OP's question backwards. My logic was correct, but you would be able to rove in the OP's question.

2. Hogging slots: Absolutely. You can export however much you want, or none at all. The same is true about optional use for all stations.

3. Captains: (this is my own theory, but it would be consistent with putting a captain on the delegate spot, allowing you to effectively place two delegates to different stations) To all of your questions except the rover, you can use the station zero, one, or two times, and can use them on the same or different dice.

I'm not positive about the rover station, but I would say no to the same worker "moving" twice. You don't actually move your worker. You simply allow one worker to access an adjacent mining station.

I stand corrected. Ignore the rulebook and go with the designer's ruling here. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In times of strength, prepare for times of weakness.
mbmbmbmbmb
jerold_wallis wrote:
Roving vs Mauraduers
If a mining spot (eg spot 10) is under attack by maurauders, and you are on 12 with a roving option, can you still rove into spot 10 with no shields?

Yes. Think of Rover as a way to reach out and mine other spots from where you are sitting. Because you aren't moving, you aren't affected by Therion Marauders or Captains at the spots you rover to.

jerold_wallis wrote:

Hogging export slots
If you have only 2 things to export, can you still place a worker on the "export 3" spot to claim it (and export the 2 you have, but prevent anyone else from exporting 3)?

If you have nothing to export, can you still claim an export slot?

Yes, you may block off spots even if you don't have resources to export. You may do this in hopes of getting those resources, or just to mess with your opponents. There is a "Nightmare Mode" where this is an exception and you must export the exact number of resources. This is a variant created by Andrew Christopher Enriquez that makes the game a bit more cutthroat and intense.

jerold_wallis wrote:

Gear vs captain
If you place the captain on a gear, what is the effect for:
rough imaging +/-3:apply once or twice to same mining die? Apply once to two different mining dice? Or either?
precision imaging +/1: same as above?
vortex drill: optionally flip more than one die?
Rover: move one worker drilling two spaces over? or move two workers one space? Or either?

When using a Captain, you may apply the action twice on one or once on two, in general. For Imaging, you can apply it twice to one Mining die, or once to two different Mining Dice.

For Vortex drill, it would be to two different Mining dice (or just one since the ability is optional). It wouldn't make sense to flip a single die, then flip it right back.

For Rover, you can use it on two separate Crewmembers or use both on one Crewmember to have them Rover to two Stations over.

Hopefully that helps. If there are more questions feel free to post them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logris wrote:

1. Roving vs Marauders: Probably can't rove. You resolve marauders before players. You don't even get a chance to rove until after the attack.

Good point. The Marauders would have already attacked before you have a chance to activate the Rover ability. The Crewmembers or Captains on those spots are affected and Rover is not applicable for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meskue wrote:
logris wrote:

1. Roving vs Marauders: Probably can't rove. You resolve marauders before players. You don't even get a chance to rove until after the attack.

Good point. The Marauders would have already attacked before you have a chance to activate the Rover ability. The Crewmembers or Captains on those spots are affected and Rover is not applicable for that.

So the ruling is the same (you could still "rove" to 10) - just the reasoning is different. Correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikoms wrote:
meskue wrote:
logris wrote:

So the ruling is the same (you could still "rove" to 10) - just the reasoning is different. Correct?

Correct, assuming the attack is for the 10 Station and not the 12 Station also (where you are sitting). i.e. - an adjacent Station may have been attacked, but that doesn't prevent you from being able to Rover there.

If the attack was on your current spot (12), you would have to flee before you have a chance to mine there or use Rover to get to the 10 with that Crewmember/Captain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
meskue wrote:
When using a Captain, you may apply the action twice on one or once on two, in general. For Imaging, you can apply it twice to one Mining die, or once to two different Mining Dice.

Looks like the FAQ needs to be corrected. The FAQ says:
FAQ wrote:
A Captain on Precision Imaging allows you to add/subtract 1 or 2 from one of your dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.