Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG has a an entry up for the new edition: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/208974/russian-campaign-...

I decided not to be first to post anything. Enuff Kraziness!

Pre-Order:
https://www.gmtgames.com/p-591-the-russian-campaign-designer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory McAllister
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I applaud the willingness to republish this classic game but I wonder who wants a copy of this game and doesn't already own a copy. Avalon Hill sold boatloads of this title and there was the L2 edition as well as the original Jedko edition.

I realize that they are working with the original designer and incorporating errata (which is great) but I'm wondering if that justifies buying another copy if you already own one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedro M wrote:
I applaud the willingness to republish this classic game but I wonder who wants a copy of this game and doesn't already own a copy.

Wait, what???? We don't have to buy the latest editions? You know, that info would have been useful about 1000 dollars ago..... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond le Serulx
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who announced this edition? Nothing on Consimpress website...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedro M wrote:
I applaud the willingness to republish this classic game but I wonder who wants a copy of this game and doesn't already own a copy. Avalon Hill sold boatloads of this title and there was the L2 edition as well as the original Jedko edition.

I realize that they are working with the original designer and incorporating errata (which is great) but I'm wondering if that justifies buying another copy if you already own one.

But the Avalon Hill editions came out almost 40 years ago(!).

Plenty of new wargamers have entered the hobby since then, and many of them probably welcome a freshened presentation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rulx wrote:
Who announced this edition? Nothing on Consimpress website...

It's on P500 at GMT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The AH versions are old and decrepit, defaced, partial...
The L2 Versions are pricey and relatively scarce, not "common".
There's a "new bunch" of Millenials and Gen. X.
The Tournament organizers decide what is relevant.
You can get anything you want in Babylon if you've got the "ticket".
You don't have to go to a store to search/pray for a copy, anymore.
Some people collect wargames as a primary Hobby.
TRC "worked" as a game and some games don't work.
TRC has cultural metaphorical value... a "lot" of people own the various versions, in distinction to games that are not owned by so many.
The "latest version" has John Edward's imprimatur.
A.H.Stalingrad [1963/1974]players lament the strange and unexplained disappearance of Stalingrad players and thread posters. Owners of A.H. TRC and L2 TRC... get in line!

Yes, why buy a new version of anything, if like myself, you have a copy of AH Stalingrad...which is so like TRC...?
TRCI,IIa,IIb,III,had irritating flaws! And I sho' 'nuff ain't gonna spend two hundred plus Yankee Dollars on an L2 TRCIV and V!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 3 copies. One heavely played from 38 years of gaming. One in shrink from that 1980 period. One 4rd Edition L2 Design unpunched (and played through Vassal).

Of course I will buy the new Designer's Edition as will my brother.

The Russian Campaign is one of the best user friendly hex wargames for newbees and old players alike.

It would even deserve to be published with 24 karat Gold counters .

In just 10 days it already has 460+ (!) pre orders btw.

And last but not least: new people need more wargames that no longer demand 2 Master degrees and 3 months of vacation to just start learning the rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we really need 3 separate version of the game out there though? A pure reprint of 3rd or 4th edition would have been far superior to tweaking it yet again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Statalyzer wrote:
Do we really need 3 separate version of the game out there though? A pure reprint of 3rd or 4th edition would have been far superior to tweaking it yet again.

How do you know without seeing the tweaks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Statalyzer wrote:

The description on the CSW forum description sounds less like tweaking and more like letting 40 years of expert play and experience dictate rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on buying the Consimpress edition of The Russian Campaign, partially for nostalgia reason, though I do hope the new edition inspires more local wargamers to play the game.

I still own a copy of the Avalon Hill edition of TRC with an unpunched set of AH counters and a punched set that came with TRC II Jedko Game Kit (a ziplock item that added rules/counters for battlegroup remnants and other variants).

The Russian Campaign, along with Squad Leader and Battle of the Bulge'81 were my first historical wargames long ago, but the TRC is the only game among the three that I've held onto and the one that I'm most interested in revisiting again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Because if there are 3 separate versions of the out there, it won't matter whether the tweaks are positive or negative, because the situation of adding yet another version is already a negative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to weigh in on if this is a needed reprint.. However this guy doesn't own a copy and I've preordered it so I'm pretty excited to get a chance to own and play a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Statalyzer wrote:
Quote:

Because if there are 3 separate versions of the out there, it won't matter whether the tweaks are positive or negative, because the situation of adding yet another version is already a negative.

because . . . ?

you're telling me, as someone who owns no version of this game, that I shouldn't want the best version I can find.

Which is odd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodknecht
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PaulWRoberts wrote:
Pedro M wrote:

But the Avalon Hill editions came out almost 40 years ago(!).

Plenty of new wargamers have entered the hobby since then, and many of them probably welcome a freshened presentation.

Well, this really old wargamer welcomes a freshened presentation and will definitely be buying a new copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McNeely
United States
Hilo
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Russian Campaign was one of my first games and a favorite. I do have a old copy with a couple of hand drawn counters and coffee stained rules. It is still fun to play though but I wouldn't mind a nice and shiny new copy.
Consim also has a pretty good track record with game releases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't bought very many wargames lately (I have quite a few!), but I'm really looking forward to this one. It looks as though it possesses that indefinable alchemy that under the right circumstances will produce Fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
CM Randall wrote:
I'm not going to weigh in on if this is a needed reprint.. However this guy doesn't own a copy and I've preordered it so I'm pretty excited to get a chance to own and play a copy.

Same here. Dont have copy but always here old timers talk about this title, Ill definitely add it to my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do they take "Paypal"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I think people post stuff just to sound off. The Russian Campaign is crying out for a new edition as the AH one is dated and the L2 edition very hard to find and expensive. I own all 5 editions of Napoleon at Leipzig and can't remember anyone whinging about it - although I may be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedro M wrote:

I realize that they are working with the original designer and incorporating errata (which is great)

... yet fail to tackle the biggest issue this game has : rivers running *through* hexes, instead of along hexsides.

It's probably just me, but unless they really update the design I can't be bothered to upgrade my old copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Pedro M wrote:

I realize that they are working with the original designer and incorporating errata (which is great)

... yet fail to tackle the biggest issue this game has : rivers running *through* hexes, instead of along hexsides.

It's probably just me, but unless they really update the design I can't be bothered to upgrade my old copy.

Units behind a full river hex have their combat factors doubled. I see no problem at all. People have been playing without problems for 40 years.

Rivers taking 60% angles every 35 kms is not the solution in this scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zaccardi
United States
Coral Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't able to get a copy when I was young and missed the second edition print run. I was happy to see this go up on P500 and put in a pre-order promptly.

I think GMT figured between folks that never owned a copy and owners wanting a fresh update, this would go over well. It's at 472 as I write this, not bad I'd say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have an unplayed L2 version on the shelf, so I'm passing on this one.

And to those who have preordered the new one: you're welcome. You see, as a rule, wargames only get reprinted or revised after I've spent too much money acquiring the out of print versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.