Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm a bit curious about starting a People of the Skull campaign. Which quarries provide stuff with the Bone keyword?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Sebastien Fortin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In my people of the skull campaign now year 15... I'm hunting

lion
Gorm ( for the skull to get more super survivors) and the other bone gear
DBK ( for all the bone armor, etc...
Antelope
Pheonix ( maybe)

with alle the +luck on my survivors... and the grand weapon proficiency the watcher should be a piece of cake...

a +6 luck +6 evasion +4 everything else survivor should do the trick...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
Phoenix is your gateway to the other late game gear, DBK gear is probably easier to get.

But remember that a L1 DBK is as difficult as a L2 Phoenix (and probably a bit more, but if you can tackle a L2 Phoenix, you can take a L1 DBK) and requires completely different builds/abilities.

Also, calcifying is not that easy because, barring lucky rolls, you can try it a couple of times before ending the campaign (three times if you plan ahead or are lucky/willing to 'spend' a lot of people... Four times is technically possible, but it's unrealistic, at least at my skill level), and you have a 50% chance of losing your gear, unless you are able to kill a L2 DBK while you wait for calcification (I managed to do that once in my current campaign, but I wouldn't bet on it).

So, maybe easier to get as resources involved, but not easier at all in terms o of actually getting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You only need 1 Scell to protect everything

These are the pitfalls of not being native english speaker. Since it is written in the manual that "a Scell adds +4 to all Restorer's rolls" instead of "to the rolls of all Restorers" or "to all Restorers' rolls", I always made my guys destroyed by multiple L2 DBK hunts.

So, I made it needlessly complicated for me. Oh well, too bad, I love the expansion anyway.

Quote:
I personally find the lvl 1 DBK on par with the lvl 1 Phoenix.

Ok, I need you to back this up. With the 1.4 Lantern Hoard, I manage to send a party of four survivors, all with 3 to 5 hunt XPs and profoundly Insane (and at varying degrees of Courage) against a L1 Phoenix.

Against a L1 Phoenix in LY8 I am usually confident to be able to send out:
a- 1 guy who hits at 5 or 6+ and crits at 6+ in full rawhide (I let him be the Immortal guy, but that is not assured that early)
b- 1 guy who has a counterweighted axe, full leather and shield
c- 1 guy who has a twilight sword with 3wp and full leather (usually also a shield)
d- 1 guy with Vespertine bow, cat eye circlet or pulsating lantern, full rawhide or scraps of armor.
At that stage, I usually don't have a mastery (except if I'm lucky with Regal Visit, it happened a couple of times), but if I have I usually prioritize fist and tooth or shields, both are huge boons.

Now, with these four guys a L1 Phoenix USUALLY dies causing one or two severe injuries, and USUALLY nobody dies in the Showdown thanks to Dried Acanthus and proper tanking. The odd Spiral Age that destroys a guy could be there, but usually you manage to get rid of the tokens just in time. Again, new Lantern Hoard helps you going with the right XP.

If I prepare at the same year to go against a DBK, I can send (no harness to mitigate the Whistling Mace, I assume this is the very first DBK encounter):
- the same guy for a) above, with Tumble
- the same guy for b), with a Whistling Mace and Tumble
- a guy with full Leather and either a Counterweighted Axe or a Zanbato (for this showdown I usually prefer the axe - too many superdense locations).
- the fourth guy has usually the bow and a bone pickaxe.

Normally I can't get more than two Tumblers at LY 8. The Showdown is just me using a guy to always push away the dung ball, a tank that triggers the trap the first time (so that, being stinky, he is focused 99% of the time by the AI), then the guy with the axe and the crit hitter that slowly chip away wound after wound, slowly and painfully due to century carapace and the relatively small hit deck, until it dies.

At LY8 I made this roughly three times: it was one TPK, another very close match with one survivor death and another, a bit easier match with one survivor death. If I leave him attached to the ball when its turn starts, he wrecks havoc.

So, assuming of course that the world is full of a lot of people more skilled than me, I am asking: is there anything I can do to make this showdown as easy as a L1 Phoenix?

EDIT: I wrote "age tokens", I meant "hunt XPs" when talking of the Phoenix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that the key is gorm gear then, the rest is done all the same. Yes, I did something similar for the trap, but the first time I usually spring it (or equip stinky gear).

It's just that I never mixed gorm/spidicules with the three knight. Will try that next campaign, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.