Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Mega Civilization» Forums » Rules

Subject: Definition of "Successful City Attack" with "Advanced Military" card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rance Leon
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
When the defending player of a city attack removes tokens from adjacent areas by use of the "Advanced Military" advance card, it is possible for the defender to have tokens remaining in the city area at the end of combat. This may happen with or without attacking token(s) depending on the population limit, but the city itself is removed. Is this considered a successful city attack? Would the attacking player still be able to select a trade card from the defender and have the option to collect tax treasury?

Update: After I originally posted this question, I realized that the same situation can occur during regular city attack resolution without the Advanced Military advance. It can happen when the combined total of all tokens meets the population limit or sometimes when the defender is able to move extra tokens to the area for additional defense. Thank you, Clayton, for responding (right before I updated this question).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a legitimate question. I can't cite anything in the rulebook, but my group has always played that it counts - you sacced the city even if you lost the territory, so you get to loot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd agree with Clayton, once the city goes poof you have a successful city attack.
Now, I suppose Advanced Military could make for some weird looking conflicts. Since token battle takes place before city attacks you have to first resolve a token conflict vs 0 defenders where the defender removes tokens from surrounding areas. And I guess that will continue until the defender declares that the token conflict is over and he/she opts to not use the ability any more?
Further more, rules wise it should be possible to use the Advanced Military ability in the ensuing token conflict after replacing the city with the appropriate number of tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no token conflict if there are no defenders tokens. The defender would need at least 1 token in order to use AdvMilitary in order to save his city.

The rulebook clearly states that a city attack is successful if he has 7 or more tokens at the start of the city conflict (number possibly altered by cards). The defender may use AdvMilitary after the city is destroyed, to win the following token conflict. However, the attack was already successful. See rulebook p23 for both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo de Haan
Netherlands
Heerhugowaard
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The actual definition of a 'successful city attack' is described in the rulebook. Did you know there is an updated rulebook for download.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/131213/mega-civilization-...

On page 23 is says:

"As soon as a player enters an area containing an enemy
city or a pirate city, this is considered ‘attacking the city’,
regardless of the number of tokens used (even if it is 1). "

4a. All token conflicts are resolved before all city attacks are resolved.

4b. By default, an attack is successful if the attacker has at least 7 tokens in the area containing the enemy city.

So:
First... all token conflicts are resolved, and a city attack involving tokens from the defender (or any other player than the attacker) are thus involved in a token conflict.

It is fully resolved as mentioned in step 4a.

Once the token conflict is resolved (either by using Advanced Military (and neighboring tokens) or without Advanced Military) it is very likely there are still tokens left.
Note: These tokens are not removed as a result of surplus population, because that step is no sooner than step 5.

page 23:
If a token conflict occurs in an area that also contains a
city, the conflict ends as soon as only a single player has
tokens left in the area. Any remaining tokens this way are
not removed during token conflict, and this is considered
a city attack.

This may be sufficient to attack the city successfully (by default 7), or not, (less than 7 or, in combination with de defender holding Engineering less than 8)

Now.. When at this point that number is sufficient, the attack is considered 'successful'. The city is destroyed, and replaced by token and so forth...

Conclusion:
A successful city attack is the point where the city is removed and replaced by tokens.

An unsuccessful city attack is where the number of tokens proved insufficient, either because the attack placed insufficient to start with, or because the city was defended by tokens and after the tokens conflict, there are insufficient tokens left.

If you need any more help or have more questions, I'm happy to help.
Greets
Flo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus A
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good to have that sorted out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.